RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

lboswell

Jun 2, 2010, 6:54 PM
Post #1 of 20 (11551 views)
Shortcut

health insurance coverage
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for health insurance coverage that will fill a gap in our family's regular medical insurance, which excludes coverage for a number of sports -- rock climbing, bouldering, SCUBA, kayaking, skydiving, etc. It's easy to find short-term policies for international travel. But I need one that offers long-term coverage within the US. I have found only one so far, through a company called XSI. Do you know of any other companies that offer this kind of coverage?

Thanks for any leads.

csproul

Jun 2, 2010, 7:00 PM
Post #2 of 20 (11536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lboswell] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Health insurance or life insurance? I haven never had any health insurance policies that have excluded activities, but have had to disclose these activities for life insurance.

lboswell

Jun 2, 2010, 7:06 PM
Post #3 of 20 (11515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Health insurance -- to cover medical costs in case of an accident. Our policy has a very clear list of exclusions that includes rock climbing and bouldering. Hoping someone out there has had luck finding coverage that serves as a bridge for this kind of thing. Thanks.

Gmburns2000

Jun 2, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #4 of 20 (11481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how much would it cost to add these on? sometimes that is worth asking because if they are willing to add on these activities then you're looking at dealing with one company for all health insurance claims and possibly multi-policy discounts, making life both easier and potentially cheaper, too.

However, there are plenty of supplemental health insurers out there. contact your state's insurance regulator to see if they have a list of companies you can contact.

BTW - if you're looking at travel insurance, per se, then that usually isn't worth it. Often times either your current insurance, home owner's insurance, or credit cards will cover most of what you're looking to protect against.

lboswell

Jun 2, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #5 of 20 (11475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All good thoughts. Thanks.

glovedclimber413

Jun 5, 2010, 3:46 PM
Post #6 of 20 (11358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i doubt anyone with cover you if you are involved in those activities because society views them as extremely dangerous...

i would say the best insurance would be to have reliable equipment, a wealth of knowledge, and safe climbing habits haha

USnavy

Jun 5, 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #7 of 20 (11337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glovedclimber413] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Y’all forget, rock climbing is only excluded from the policy if they know you got injured climbing. If you are sport climbing and you fall on a ledge and break your leg, YOSAR is not exactly going to man up the chopper and do a 15 person rescue and print the results on the front page of the local paper. Chances are that you will find your own way to the ER. Unless you’re dumb enough to spray to everyone in the hospital that you broke your leg on a lead fall, you’re covered. The insurance company doesn't exactly have Top Secret military photography satellites in space watching everyone. They find out when you tell them, just like a large sum of crimes are solved. No evidence exists until you open your mouth. Even if the doctor knew you got injured climbing, it’s unlikely he would tell the insurance company.

Now if you’re into leading A5 on El Cap, they you may want a rider that covers climbing as an injury may involve a rescue that you can’t hide from the insurance company. But if your more into sport climbing at your local crag, I wouldn't loose sleep over it if your insurance company doesn't cover climbing accidents.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jun 5, 2010, 5:14 PM)

jim23

Sep 15, 2010, 9:13 PM
Post #8 of 20 (11003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know it's a bit late, but for posterity:
http://www.getori.com/about.aspx

only a $10,000 limit, but it's only $85/year so not so bad.

I am pretty distressed that if I were to have a major accident climbing in the mountains (several hundred thousand $US in cost of care), I guess I am screwed. Is anyone familiar with specific instances where people they know have been denied benefits when making claims related to climbing accidents? I'm all for keeping the cause of my injuries to myself when I arrive at the ER, but if I get choppered in from the Alaska Range to an Anchorage hospital (even if I am conscious/coherent enough to make up some tale about how I was injured) I'm not sure how I can conceal the true cause of injury...

Kartessa

Sep 16, 2010, 2:04 PM
Post #9 of 20 (10936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OHIP Tongue

I_do

Sep 16, 2010, 8:25 PM
Post #10 of 20 (10887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jim23] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jim23 wrote:
I know it's a bit late, but for posterity:
http://www.getori.com/about.aspx

only a $10,000 limit, but it's only $85/year so not so bad.

I am pretty distressed that if I were to have a major accident climbing in the mountains (several hundred thousand $US in cost of care), I guess I am screwed. Is anyone familiar with specific instances where people they know have been denied benefits when making claims related to climbing accidents? I'm all for keeping the cause of my injuries to myself when I arrive at the ER, but if I get choppered in from the Alaska Range to an Anchorage hospital (even if I am conscious/coherent enough to make up some tale about how I was injured) I'm not sure how I can conceal the true cause of injury...

I don't get it, I pay 40 euro's a year and that covers two helicopter flights a year. And all kinds of medical coverage, although I think part of that would be covered by my medical insurance. And includes flights back home as well.

photoguy190

Nov 17, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #12 of 20 (10618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whyinsure] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm looking for insurance right now and no one has told me about a list of exempt sports. Who has your policy, this concerns me a lot. Has anyone else had a policy that excludes certain sports?

majid_sabet

Nov 17, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #13 of 20 (10608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Y’all forget, rock climbing is only excluded from the policy if they know you got injured climbing. If you are sport climbing and you fall on a ledge and break your leg, YOSAR is not exactly going to man up the chopper and do a 15 person rescue and print the results on the front page of the local paper. Chances are that you will find your own way to the ER. Unless you’re dumb enough to spray to everyone in the hospital that you broke your leg on a lead fall, you’re covered. The insurance company doesn't exactly have Top Secret military photography satellites in space watching everyone. They find out when you tell them, just like a large sum of crimes are solved. No evidence exists until you open your mouth. Even if the doctor knew you got injured climbing, it’s unlikely he would tell the insurance company.

Now if you’re into leading A5 on El Cap, they you may want a rider that covers climbing as an injury may involve a rescue that you can’t hide from the insurance company. But if your more into sport climbing at your local crag, I wouldn't loose sleep over it if your insurance company doesn't cover climbing accidents.

How do you come up with all these misleading info?.

if condition allows and its safe to do SAR, the rescuers will do their best to get the injured climbers out regardless of their situation.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Nov 17, 2010, 4:59 PM)

alpinismo_flujo

Nov 17, 2010, 6:05 PM
Post #14 of 20 (10585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photoguy190] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

photoguy190 wrote:
I'm looking for insurance right now and no one has told me about a list of exempt sports. Who has your policy, this concerns me a lot. Has anyone else had a policy that excludes certain sports?

Is this thread about life insurance or health?

Health: don't discriminate about activities. Example; Jump off a building with no parachute and you're covered.

Life: yes, there are many exclusions depending on the carrier and the amount you're applying for. A simple $1,000 policy will not have any questions. You can get it through your bank, credit card, etc.

But real policies require blood test, and a full questionaire. I had to shop around because of climbing. Once I settled on MetLife I had to answer (2) pages of questions regarding where I climb, what level I climb, highest altitude, future plans, etc etc. I answered them honestly and their price was more than fair.

Scuba is on the list too..and you can bet jumping off a building without a parachute would raise some issues for your heirs if within 2 years of writing the policy. After 2 years they'll even pay on a suicide without questions.Unsure

reverse_dyno

Nov 18, 2010, 2:00 AM
Post #15 of 20 (10531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got short term catastrophic coverage from HCC and it does not exclude rock climbing, mountaineering, or hiking injuries. They have normal heath insurance policies as well. You might try them.

Here is what it does exclude in the 'sports' area:
In reply to:
Injuries resulting from participation in any form of skydiving, scuba diving, auto racing,
bungee jumping, hang or ultra light gliding, parasailing, sail planing, flying in an aircraft
(other than as a passenger on a commercial airline), rodeo contests or as a result of
participating in any professional, semi-professional or other non-recreational sports
including boating, motorcycling, skiing, riding all-terrain vehicles or dirt-bikes,
snowmobiling or go-carting.
28. Injuries or Sicknesses resulting from participation in interscholastic, intercollegiate or
organized competitive sports.

http://www.hccmis.com/health-insurance-plans/

USnavy

Nov 26, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #16 of 20 (10341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
USnavy wrote:

if condition allows and its safe to do SAR, the rescuers will do their best to get the injured climbers out regardless of their situation.
Yes, by foot... Not by aircraft. Sport crags generally have short approaches and easy bail options.

rocknice2

Nov 27, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #17 of 20 (10268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 social health care system

climbingaggie03

Nov 27, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #18 of 20 (10234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just FYI my health insurance didn't exclude rock climibng accidents, and then I had one, the total bill was over $100,000 and there was no way I could hide the fact that I was hurt climbing cause I was found uncouncious at the bottom of a cliff with all my gear on. My insurance covered my bill that time, but now I have to pay extra for a rider if I want to be covered while climbing.

I have a supplemental policy, it costs me $30 a month but covers me up to $10,000 no questions asked. which for a major accident, won't help to much, but for when I broke my hand in the valley last year, it was no problem.

USnavy

Nov 27, 2010, 8:27 PM
Post #19 of 20 (10223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] health insurance coverage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
Just FYI my health insurance didn't exclude rock climibng accidents, and then I had one, the total bill was over $100,000 and there was no way I could hide the fact that I was hurt climbing cause I was found uncouncious at the bottom of a cliff with all my gear on. My insurance covered my bill that time, but now I have to pay extra for a rider if I want to be covered while climbing.
So your policy covered climbing injuries as so long as you dont have one? Once you have one they make you pay extra for a rider that covers what they said was covered in the first place? I am confused. Crazy

climbingaggie03

Nov 27, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #20 of 20 (10213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't make sense to me either, although when I got the insurance I didn't climb so they didn't exclude climbing. Now they know I climb and that there is a chance that I could be hurt climbing so if I want to be covered I have to pay extra.

I climbed without insurance coverage or years and didn't get hurt, but I definitely don't recommend it. My injury was a 40 foot fall to the deck and I had to be airlifted, spent 1 night in ICU and 9 more days in the hospital. I had 5 surgeries, and couldn't work for 3 months which was all quite expensive and probably would have put me in bankruptcy if I hadn't had insurance.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook