Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering Video
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dbrayack

Dec 21, 2002, 5:44 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Video  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Bouldering: Morgantown_Region: Coopers_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

With my free time as a student, I've put together a bouldering video. It has three sections: Cooper's Rocks, Pioneer Rocks and McConnells Mill.

I'm looking for some feedback.

I am thinking about making it available for free "on CD". I can't sell it because I use copy-righted music + I don't really want to sell it anyways.

Does anyone forsee any problems with this video being offered or have any suggestions? Thanks.

repete

Dec 24, 2002, 9:41 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would love to see the video. I climb a good bit at coopers and would like to see what the mills has to offer before i drive up there.

fiend

May 8, 2005, 2:30 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1653 views)
Shortcut

re: video and music [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am thinking about making it available for free "on CD". I can't sell it because I use copy-righted music

Does anyone forsee any problems with this video being offered or have any suggestions? Thanks.

It's still illegal to use copy-righted material no matter what you do with it.

In reply to:
U.S. Copyright Law provides that you can be sued by a music publisher and/or record label, for using their property without their consent.

There's a lot of mis-information about music and sampling out there and it's difficult to wade through, but I believe that you can be sued for using music and distributing it anywhere. It's one thing to use copywritten music in somthing like, oh, I don't know: short video that is downloaded from a media website, but it changes things when you start actually burning them to disc and having copies floating around.

Both are equally wrong/illegal, but one is more likely to get you in trouble. Things on the internet have a habit of dissapearing at the first hint of trouble, whereas it's hard to go out and get back all those DVDs you gave out.

There are quite a few royalty free resources out there if you search the net. You generally have to pay a small fee to access the libraries but can use any of the music for your projects. If you really want to share this video with people other than your close friends/family then I'd suggest looking into that, finding local bands that would contribute music, or contacting some minor label artists about using their music for a non-profit project.

Some labels will be nice enough to let you use their music as long as you sign a form saying that you'll pay full royalties if you ever try to make any money of your video.

Edit: I don't know how I ended up here, but I just noticed that this post is from 2002. The above info might be handy to anyone else doing this type of thing though so I'll just leave my reply.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook