Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Climbing Rope Research - I NEED YOUR HELP!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

ASR88

Jan 20, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Rope Research - I NEED YOUR HELP!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a mechanical engineering student and I have a research assignment this semester. I wanted to do something climbing related and thought it would be cool to do some testing on ropes.
I want to put a short length of rope (3-6 inches) in an instron(the machine that pulls until something breaks) and test it to failure. Ideally, I would like to try various ropes with different thicknesses, different ages (brand new vs 5 years old).
I will also try to simulate a dynamic load to see if falling on a rope degrades its integrity. For example, some people who sell their used rope boast, "this rope hasn't taken any falls!", I want to see if that even makes a difference.
My problem is I do not have a lot of money (being a student and all) so I need some people to volunteer a few inches of their rope for me. I know it is a lot to ask, but if you have an older rope, a rope you don't like, a rope you found, or even a new rope and don't mind cutting off a couple inches your help would be greatly appreciated.
Anything would be very helpful. If you're interested in contributing please respond to this post as soon as possible. Thank you so much.

kovacs69

Jan 20, 2011, 7:02 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ASR88] Climbing Rope Research - I NEED YOUR HELP! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ASR88 wrote:
I am a mechanical engineering student and I have a research assignment this semester. I wanted to do something climbing related and thought it would be cool to do some testing on ropes.
I want to put a short length of rope (3-6 inches) in an instron(the machine that pulls until something breaks) and test it to failure. Ideally, I would like to try various ropes with different thicknesses, different ages (brand new vs 5 years old).
I will also try to simulate a dynamic load to see if falling on a rope degrades its integrity. For example, some people who sell their used rope boast, "this rope hasn't taken any falls!", I want to see if that even makes a difference.
My problem is I do not have a lot of money (being a student and all) so I need some people to volunteer a few inches of their rope for me. I know it is a lot to ask, but if you have an older rope, a rope you don't like, a rope you found, or even a new rope and don't mind cutting off a couple inches your help would be greatly appreciated.
Anything would be very helpful. If you're interested in contributing please respond to this post as soon as possible. Thank you so much.

Is a couple inches enough to put in the machine? I would be willing to give you some of a rope I still have from the late 80's. It never took a hard fall, was stored in a dry dark place and was very well taken care of. I am interested to see how a rope degrades over the years. PM me your address and how much you want.

JB

ASR88

Jan 20, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Climbing Rope Research - I NEED YOUR HELP! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks JB, can anyone else help out?
Also, does anyone know of any climbing stores (probably online is best) that sells rope by the foot? If you have any info on that please let me know, thanks.

jman

Jan 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd also check with a local climbing gym if there is one near you, to see if you can have some of their retired lead ropes.

olympicmtnboy

Jan 21, 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] Climbing Rope Research - I NEED YOUR HELP! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also before you go too far down the road make sure your pull tester has enough play to deal with something that can stretch 30% and check out what has been done before like the Black Diamond pull tests on old ropes: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/journal/climb/qclab/qc-lab-retiring-old-ropes and the useful info in the lab section here and on Aric's new site: http://theclimbinglab.com/tiki-index.php

Oh and don't forget to read up on the UIAA certification tests to find out what they mean by a "fall" as far as rope ratings and how they do their various tests.

Good luck!

gblauer

Jan 21, 2011, 2:21 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have lots of rope sections that I can give you. Where do I send them?

ASR88

Jan 21, 2011, 2:56 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olympicmtnboy] Climbing Rope Research - I NEED YOUR HELP! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great information, thanks for the links.
I also checked out the local gym and they let me have a little bit.
If you guys know anyone else who might have a little spare rope please send them the link to this thread.
Thanks guys

(This post was edited by ASR88 on Jan 21, 2011, 2:57 PM)

trenchdigger

Jan 21, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are material properties of climbing ropes that are, in my opinion, at least as important as the breaking strength of the rope. I encourage you to be wary of conclusions about the safety of used or old ropes based solely on static pull test results.

roy_hinkley_jr

Jan 21, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all likelihood, your instron has neither the range nor the appropriate size drums for this testing. You can't just clamp a rope for doing static tests because that affects the rope structure so it will break everytime at the clamp. You need drums about 25x the diameter of the rope and then 3 or 4 wraps around each drum. So that's a lot more rope than you're planning. And a dynamic rope will stretch a lot more than 30% before breaking. Basically you need one big frickin' machine. And it still won't tell you anything that matters to climbers...like most of Arick's "tests."

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook