Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Jan 21, 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #26 of 46 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
I've done a bit of night climbing. Two most memorable that come to mind was doing NIAD and starting at around 4:30pm and climbing for 22 hours straight, and when my buddy tried to onsight The Vampire at Tahquitz under full moon. Here's a link to the writeup about The Vampire:

http://pullharder.org/...cent-of-the-vampire/

Both were amazing surreal adventures that I'm glad that I went on. Climbing is inherently slow, and climbing at night isn't actually all that much more difficult than climbing during the day, provided you have the skill and confidence required.

Josh

Just read your vampire ascent. Dude that was awesome, thanks for the fun video!

GO

bandycoot

Jan 21, 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #27 of 46 (1809 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed! Gotta have fun while out there on the rock!

Josh

potreroed

Jan 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #28 of 46 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
potreroed wrote:
One full moon Jim Erickson and I decided to climb the 3rd Flatiron. While we waited at The Sink for the moon to rise a couple other guys decided to join us. Then we met four chicks who had just arrived from Kansas and had never seen a mountain so we talked them into coming with us. We had a fabulous time pretending we were hobbitts on a mission.

Let's see if I got this straight. You met 4 chicks, and then pretended you were hobbits on a mission. I can't keep a straight face when I picture this. Laugh

Did it work?

Josh

This was 1968 and The Hobbitt was on everybody's reading list. Like I said, we had a lot of fun and that's all I'm going to reveal.

Bag11s

Jan 22, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #29 of 46 (1768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a dullard.

but after a bit of reflection, I burst out laughing.

coastal_climber

Jan 22, 2011, 2:25 AM
Post #30 of 46 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bag11s] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs

Jan 23, 2011, 8:19 AM
Post #31 of 46 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
GMBurns and I did High Exposure at night and it was definitely one of the most memorable experiences of my life, a perfect climb.

I did High E by headlamp last November with a good buddy of mine. We got up to the GT around 4AM, brewed up some tea, shivered in our woefully inadequate thin windshirts, and then topped out as the sun was rising.

It was fantastic night for sure.

enigma

Jan 24, 2011, 5:47 AM
Post #32 of 46 (1699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jolery] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
+1 for 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell. The first time I heard about this 24 hour climbing competition, I thought it was ridiculous and stupid. A year later I was competing in it. Night climbing is really sweet. Ever since Horseshoe Hell, I don't worry about the onset of darkness as long as I have my headlamp. Since then I have put up routes in the dark, bouldered in the dark, and enjoyed some easy trad lines in the dark.

24 hours of a climbing competition, Horseshoe Hell, Tell us more, So you climb without taking a break? Wow.

enigma

Jan 24, 2011, 5:49 AM
Post #33 of 46 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
I've done a bit of night climbing. Two most memorable that come to mind was doing NIAD and starting at around 4:30pm and climbing for 22 hours straight, and when my buddy tried to onsight The Vampire at Tahquitz under full moon. Here's a link to the writeup about The Vampire:

Both were amazing surreal adventures that I'm glad that I went on. Climbing is inherently slow, and climbing at night isn't actually all that much more difficult than climbing during the day, provided you have the skill and confidence required.

Josh

Nice Photos, Thanks for sharing

jolery

Jan 24, 2011, 4:26 PM
Post #34 of 46 (1674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
24 hours of a climbing competition, Horseshoe Hell, Tell us more, So you climb without taking a break? Wow.

Yep, that's the idea - 24 hours of climbing, starts at 10 a.m. Some make it the full 24, some don't, some plan on just having a good time. Many competitors try to do at least one route per hour, every hour of the comp, which gets you bonus points, a guaranteed spot in the next year's comp, and a little prize. The maximum number of routes goes up every year - 2010 I think it was around 160 - but that guy had a belay slave as opposed to a climber team. There's all sorts of categories to compete in, from number of routes, to team points. Harder routes get more points, trad routes get bonus points, etc. Two laps per route per person are allowed, which drives the route total up.

All routes must be led, many of the routes have biners on the anchors to just clip and lower for safety and speed.

As far as climbing for a full day, it is brutal but amazing. This year I had some issues with my forearm seizing in a flexed position, but that was temporary. It does get difficult to stay motivated once you start getting exhausted and sleepy. The hardest part for me was belaying. The climbing was stimulating as hell, and I had no problems getting groggy or doing stupid shit on lead. Belaying was boring, and exhausting, and scarier to me than climbing.

Really the best part of the competition is the camaraderie amongst the climbers. Everyone is supportive, and I haven’t seen any fighting over routes – there are definitely lines on many of the routes. I think most of the climbers are there just to push themselves to their personal limit. It’s pretty awesome seeing that many people pushing themselves hard. My partner and I were shooting for 100 routes each – he got 97, I got about 87. We hit a wall around 5:30 a.m., but the arrival of daylight kept us going. We took one fifteen minute nap waiting for a route, but that was it.

Here's the current website on the event:
http://www.twofourhell.com/Home.html
And an older one for <2009:
http://www.24hoursofhorseshoe.com/

enigma

Jan 25, 2011, 7:03 AM
Post #35 of 46 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jolery] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jolery wrote:
enigma wrote:

Yep, that's the idea - 24 hours of climbing, starts at 10 a.m. Some make it the full 24, some don't, some plan on just having a good time. Many competitors try to do at least one route per hour, every hour of the comp, which gets you bonus points, a guaranteed spot in the next year's comp, and a little prize. The maximum number of routes goes up every year - 2010 I think it was around 160 - but that guy had a belay slave as opposed to a climber team. There's all sorts of categories to compete in, from number of routes, to team points. Harder routes get more points, trad routes get bonus points, etc. Two laps per route per person are allowed, which drives the route total up.

All routes must be led, many of the routes have biners on the anchors to just clip and lower for safety and speed.

As far as climbing for a full day, it is brutal but amazing. This year I had some issues with my forearm seizing in a flexed position, but that was temporary. It does get difficult to stay motivated once you start getting exhausted and sleepy. The hardest part for me was belaying. The climbing was stimulating as hell, and I had no problems getting groggy or doing stupid shit on lead. Belaying was boring, and exhausting, and scarier to me than climbing.

Really the best part of the competition is the camaraderie amongst the climbers. Everyone is supportive, and I haven’t seen any fighting over routes – there are definitely lines on many of the routes. I think most of the climbers are there just to push themselves to their personal limit. It’s pretty awesome seeing that many people pushing themselves hard. My partner and I were shooting for 100 routes each – he got 97, I got about 87. We hit a wall around 5:30 a.m., but the arrival of daylight kept us going. We took one fifteen minute nap waiting for a route, but that was it.

Here's the current website on the event:
http://www.twofourhell.com/Home.html
And an older one for <2009:
http://www.24hoursofhorseshoe.com/

That was a great info. Thanks Smile Sounds like a one of those endurance climbing contests. So you lead 87 routes in that time from 10. am to 5:30 am and your partner lead 97 routes. Unbelivable Great Job Smile

enigma

Jan 25, 2011, 7:05 AM
Post #36 of 46 (1650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
[image]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2580/59/74/536168059/n536168059_2358741_2598695.jpg[/image]

[image]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2580/59/74/536168059/n536168059_2358740_118833.jpg[/image]

[image]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2382/59/74/536168059/n536168059_2247851_1790.jpg[/image]

Cool

airscape

Jan 25, 2011, 8:25 AM
Post #37 of 46 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here is me climbing the Eiger at night:

I like the way the dark bounces of the one of the faces.

The matterhorn the following night:

THere where some owls attacking us, if you look left and a little up you will spot them.

(This post was edited by airscape on Jan 25, 2011, 9:42 AM)

sungam

Jan 25, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #38 of 46 (1617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never waste a full moon in the desert. Summit of South Sixshooter.

Partner j_ung

Jan 25, 2011, 4:14 PM
Post #39 of 46 (1605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
Here is me climbing the Eiger at night:

[image]http://www.jepolish.com/images/D116black.gif[/image]

I like the way the dark bounces of the one of the faces.

The matterhorn the following night:
[image]http://www.jepolish.com/images/D116black.gif[/image]

THere where some owls attacking us, if you look left and a little up you will spot them.

Pssst... those are the nudie shots of your mom.

enigma

Jan 25, 2011, 9:01 PM
Post #40 of 46 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
bandycoot wrote:

Josh

GO

Thanks for the Vampire. It was very creative!!!!! Smile

Cracklover
Yes I remember the climbing in Red Rocks, it was fun.
Sandstone is alot gentler on your hands then sharp choss

(This post was edited by enigma on Jan 25, 2011, 9:35 PM)

Partner cracklover

Jan 25, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #41 of 46 (1561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
cracklover wrote:
bandycoot wrote:

Josh

GO

Thanks for the Vampire. It was very creative!!!!! Smile

Cracklover
Yes I remember the climbing in Red Rocks, it was fun.
Sandstone is alot gentler on your hands then sharp choss

What?

GO
(edited to fix a someone else's cheese-tittery that was messing up my post)

(This post was edited by cracklover on Jan 25, 2011, 10:45 PM)

enigma

Jan 29, 2011, 7:49 AM
Post #42 of 46 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
I grew up going on snow shoe trips, & cross country ski adventures under the light of a full moon. So this summer I decided to bring up the idea with my climbing buddies to do a night climb of a classic 5.10a Plumb Line.
Well it took a few months of cloudy full moons & trying to convince a partner to come out at mid night on a work night. But finally my friend Shane & I set out on our adventure, we were both pumped even if we got to the cliff & turned around it was worth it to be out & alive. I had bought a dozen or so glow sticks from a dollar store in town & as we un-loaded our packs I started taping the glow sticks to our quick draws. It was fantastic Shane lead the climb & found the moon so bright he didn't turn on his head lamp. I followed up cleaning the glowing draws as I went. We both hiked out that night with a new understanding of what climbing is, & how we had just done something great that few people will get the chance to do.

Sweet ! glowing sticks clever idea.

westhegimp

Jan 31, 2011, 2:43 AM
Post #43 of 46 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If we camped in Ryan, it was expected to climb the SW corner on Headstone after dinner. Use of headlamps was frowned upon. Michael Reardon called it cheating as the route is only 5.6. JK! Full moon ascents were also suspect and garnered an *. JK. This was usually the most terrifying time of the weekend. hehe! I only led this once in the dark and I will never do this again. :)
Wes

enigma

Jan 31, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #44 of 46 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [westhegimp] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

westhegimp wrote:
If we camped in Ryan, it was expected to climb the SW corner on Headstone after dinner. Use of headlamps was frowned upon. Michael Reardon called it cheating as the route is only 5.6. JK! Full moon ascents were also suspect and garnered an *. JK. This was usually the most terrifying time of the weekend. hehe! I only led this once in the dark and I will never do this again. :)
Wes

That's a nice memory of Micheal Reardon he was a great guy and climber. Those where the days,hard core.
I can see why you would find it scary. If you were lucky you would have a full bright moon.
There were some climbers during Christmas and New Years that use to lead many routes without a headlamp. It was amazing. There was this maze too. Did you know about that?

enigma

Mar 22, 2011, 5:52 AM
Post #45 of 46 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [leapinlizard] Night Climbing Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

leapinlizard wrote:
I always used to push grades at night, for some reason the globe of the light that I was climbing in helped me focus.

This past weekend was another full moon and got to climb at night. As usual it was fun and beautiful.
Any new night climbing experiences to share?

KeitaroHoshi

Mar 23, 2011, 3:51 AM
Post #46 of 46 (1258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed the leaning tower with 36 hours of non stop hanging belays and aid climbing, the moon wasn't a factor and I had a head lamp. Slept on top and rappeled the following morning. Next time I bring a portaledge.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook