Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

boarderchic

Jan 28, 2011, 6:07 PM
Post #76 of 98 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
I live in california and I bought some gu , energy gel for less because there is a very competitive market here.

I live in CA too and gu costs me $1.25 for most flavors unless I buy in bulk. And that's from a large cycling shop, not a small, independent climbing shop.

I really don't understand your complaint. I haven't been climbing long, but I don't think it's that different from me buying all my cycling gear local whenever I can even if the prices are a little more, because their knowledge and service are generally outstanding. I'm willing to pay for that, and apparently enough other people are, too. Getting customers isn't only about price. And in the long run, I save anyway, because of the relationship I build with the local shopowners who come to know me and give me better deals on stuff and even do maintenance for free. No one at a chain store recognizes me when I walk in and I never get a deal just because.

jakedatc

Jan 28, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #77 of 98 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boarderchic] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

boarderchic wrote:
enigma wrote:
I live in california and I bought some gu , energy gel for less because there is a very competitive market here.

I live in CA too and gu costs me $1.25 for most flavors unless I buy in bulk. And that's from a large cycling shop, not a small, independent climbing shop.

I really don't understand your complaint. I haven't been climbing long, but I don't think it's that different from me buying all my cycling gear local whenever I can even if the prices are a little more, because their knowledge and service are generally outstanding. I'm willing to pay for that, and apparently enough other people are, too. Getting customers isn't only about price. And in the long run, I save anyway, because of the relationship I build with the local shopowners who come to know me and give me better deals on stuff and even do maintenance for free. No one at a chain store recognizes me when I walk in and I never get a deal just because.

if you haven't noticed.. enigma is a self entitled little wench who thinks everything should be given to her at a significant discount just because she says so.

And i agree its a very similar world to cycling with local shops. I tend to do big stuff online in both but random "need it now" purchases are local.. ie cables, chain lube, chalk, biners etc my LBS definitely knows me and has inspected rims, fixed my floor pump for free stuff like that which makes getting stuff for a few bucks more worth it.

marc801

Jan 28, 2011, 7:18 PM
Post #78 of 98 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
I'm the one who wrote the thread. MSRP is manufactured suggested retail price.
Nope - manufacturer's suggested retail price.

enigma wrote:
As far as this gram gram. I think Kingfarvito whoever or if this is a real person or an alias etc. thinks I get Christmas money from my grandparents.

Nope. Reading comprehension much?
You were complaining about the lack of an after xmas sale at a particular store, apparently out of a misguided sense of entitlement. Kingfarvito was asking if you thought they - ie: the climbing store - got enough xmas money from their grandparents to keep them profitable so that they could give you the sale you have your panties in a bunch about not getting.

petsfed

Jan 28, 2011, 7:50 PM
Post #79 of 98 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
j_ung wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
I'm sorry, I can't let go of this hat thing, I worked in retail too long. You say it was a 'climbers brand' - so, what brand? I cannot think of a climbing brand that would have hats MSRP at $15. Feel free to prove me wrong, please; or will this thread go the way of Arizona?

Felt hats, to be exact.

I think the last time I wore a felt hat was in a kindergarten peter pan play.

I wish I had a strong enough jawline to wear a felt hat without looking like a member of the SCA.

petsfed

Jan 28, 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #80 of 98 (2082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
I live in california and I bought some gu , energy gel for less because there is a very competitive market here. When stores have more competition for the same items they reduce prices in order to get customers.
Whether its clothes, food, computers, or climbing ropes, there is a supply demand economic relationship.

So let me get this straight: you think that a climbing store, that already operates on razor thin margins (as in, their markup from wholesale is how they cover their rent, wages, utilities, etc, but there isn't much of a net profit) will consistently go below what they need to charge to stay afloat because more people buying magically lowers their expenditures?

I'll bet the Gu you find for so cheap is the stuff that's about to expire.

enigma

Jan 28, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #81 of 98 (2064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
enigma wrote:
I live in california and I bought some gu , energy gel for less because there is a very competitive market here. When stores have more competition for the same items they reduce prices in order to get customers.
Whether its clothes, food, computers, or climbing ropes, there is a supply demand economic relationship.

So let me get this straight: you think that a climbing store, that already operates on razor thin margins (as in, their markup from wholesale is how they cover their rent, wages, utilities, etc, but there isn't much of a net profit) will consistently go below what they need to charge to stay afloat because more people buying magically lowers their expenditures?

No I just got some brand new gu today. expresso flavor, brand new in southern california.

There is something called supply and demand.

It expires 12/11.

If you have some climbing store in your area to add to the discussion , fine.
Otherwise, this thread is intended for climbers to find good stores with good prices and good gear etc,
Angelic

Partner j_ung

Jan 28, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #82 of 98 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'll double the props for Looking Glass Outfitters and send some love to Water Stone Outdoors, however, I don't think you'd like either one of those, enigma.

carabiner96

Jan 28, 2011, 8:57 PM
Post #83 of 98 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
petsfed wrote:
enigma wrote:

No I just got some brand new gu today. expresso flavor, brand new in southern california.

It expires 12/11.

Otherwise, this thread is intended for climbers to find good stores with good prices and good gear etc,
Angelic

This supply and demand thing...I don't think you get it.

And there is already a thread for good deals.

jakedatc

Jan 28, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #84 of 98 (2046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
petsfed wrote:
enigma wrote:

It expires 12/11.

Angelic

END!

chadnsc

Jan 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #85 of 98 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
$15 on spadout, maybe.

Mountain Hardware beanie / Gu all over so cal under 95 cents- its sunny and alot of running and jogging. Stores need to be competitive to get customers.

I have to chime in here.

Your comments about GU are complete BS. I'm a diabetic and use GU to treat low blood sugars. As such I buy it by the BOX every couple of months.

I've bought GU in MN, ND, SD, WI, MO, NV, and CA. I’ve bought the stuff at large retail chains and small non chain gear stores. The price is between $1.25 to $1.30 each. When you buy a box of 24 most stores will give you a discount and sell it to you for $24 or $25 ($1 to $1.04 ea).

In the past five years of buying and using GU I've never seen it in a shop for under $1.20 each.

You’re lying enigma and everyone knows it.

petsfed

Jan 28, 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #86 of 98 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All right, I'll play ball. There are three shops in Laramie, WY. One is mostly a bike shop, and their staff knows bikes, so I've been accidentally overcharged for webbing there. One bills itself as a general outdoor shop, with an emphasis on cross country skiing. One is a ski, climbing, and kayaking shop. All three run on razor thin margins, and it shows.

I patronize each based on what I need, and what the others lack in stock. Funny but true: all three carry Kendall Curity tape. If you crack climb a lot on rock that requires tape gloves, you'll know why this is important. Having looked, the next closest climbing shop that carries Kendall tape is Pagan Mountaineering. In Moab. There's never egregious gouging, but they also can't afford to have huge sales unless they need the stock room space for spring gear.

Incidentally, why in the hell would an outdoor gear shop have an after-christmas sale? Its not like they build up stock just before christmas then have to get rid of it all. They might build up stock just before winter on winter gear, then have to get rid of the excess in spring, but the winter solstice does not mark the end of any activity season so far as I'm aware.

granite_grrl

Jan 28, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #87 of 98 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Angelic
I think it's ironic that the only think you have mentioned about climbing stores is negative.

Fortunately, most climbers don't give a fuck about felt hats and GU, or at least aren't privileged, self deserving penny pincher like you, so your opinion is worthless.

Kartessa

Jan 28, 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #88 of 98 (1976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
petsfed wrote:
enigma wrote:

It expires 12/11.

Angelic

[cough] BULLSHIT [/cough]

Partner drector

Jan 28, 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #89 of 98 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is it with this odd belief that any store is in business to do anything but make money?

I see posts all over the web where idiots think that because a store sells something that is special to the buyer, that the store should then be run at a loss. Sure the owner may love climbing but that doesn't mean they want to give away stuff just because you love it too.

Sure, some owner/manager might think that having a sale after Christmas is cool and will make them more money but maybe not. Maybe they think it will make them less. Shop somewhere else if you don't like it. At least complain to the store, and not us, so they know that they are losing your business. That might have some effect on how they run things. On the other hand, the bottom line is probably how the store owner makes ALL of their decisions.

Everyone needs to stop believing that stores are charities just because they sell climbing gear or any other stuff that you happen to think is special.

Heck, maybe that goo you bought is only worth $.25 and you got ripped off.

Dave

erisspirit

Jan 28, 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #90 of 98 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
petsfed wrote:
enigma wrote:

It expires 12/11.

Angelic

Ok, since you want to help us all save...

I live in southern California. Why don't you tell me what store you bought it at so cheap. Share the deal. I pay $1.35 for it at REI, or about $1.04 each if I buy in bulk at road runner sports... Save me some money by telling me exactly what store I should go to. Doesn't matter where exactly in SoCal, I travel a lot.

edit to fix: espresso love was 1.35 at rei...I had 1.25 typed

(This post was edited by erisspirit on Jan 28, 2011, 11:46 PM)

areyoumydude

Jan 29, 2011, 5:17 AM
Post #91 of 98 (1915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey enigma, I've got some discount GU for ya.

It's packed full of protein and comes in two flavors.

Salty and extra salty.

furgie

Jan 29, 2011, 5:36 AM
Post #92 of 98 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think everyone's lucky to have a physical shop to go to, I live in El Paso just 30 minutes away from one of the most renowned cgrags in the world and theres not one shop or retail chain to buy from. The most we ever had was the back corner of a diving supply shop (in the desert) suffice to say it didn't last long. So I say so what if the local stores are marked up from online prices or big impersonal retail chains, at least you can try on your shoes before you buy them...

Kartessa

Jan 29, 2011, 5:52 AM
Post #93 of 98 (1893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
Hey enigma, I've got some discount GU for ya.

It's packed full of protein and comes in two flavors.

Salty and extra salty.

Laugh

caughtinside

Jan 29, 2011, 6:19 AM
Post #94 of 98 (1886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Well, I'll double the props for Looking Glass Outfitters and send some love to Water Stone Outdoors, however, I don't think you'd like either one of those, enigma.

So you think enigma would consider them Foe not Friend?

vegastradguy

Jan 29, 2011, 6:26 AM
Post #95 of 98 (1875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

three comments-

1) there is no such thing as a Mountain Hardwear Beanie for less than $20.

2) as has been said upthread, and i'll repeat it with an emphasis on climbing shops for you enigma- all retail shops sell new outdoor and climbing gear at MSRP. It's not optional for 95% of gear out there- if a retail shop is found selling gear above or below MSRP, they will get their account yanked. The sales you see out there- those are authorized by the manufacturer- each shop gets so many discount periods per year.

3) for the mods who may or may not be watching this thread- its fairly obvious that enigma is using rockclimbing.com to attack Nomad Ventures and other JTree companies and guide services. I'm not entirely sure that its against forum rules, but its sure as hell is in bad taste.

enigma

Jan 29, 2011, 6:39 AM
Post #96 of 98 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
lol

a store is under no compunction to reduce prices just for your ... yes sales are nice, but the fact is most smaller climbing stores near climbing areas such as squamish, canmore, etc ... need to make money to survive

if you dont like it ... just buy online, it aint hard if yr old enough for a credit card Wink

Climb On in squamish doesnt have many sales ... but they provide a service by offering beta, advice, you can phone them for route conditions, collecting money for donations for the access society, you can leave gear that you found with them, or if you lost gear its generally the first place you check to see if anyone's dropped it off after the boards, etc ...

they arent any cheaper than MEC, but i do occasionally buy some items from them to support the benefit they provide

no one is forcing you to spend money there ... dont like it? ... vote with your wallet

its that simple Tongue

I went to Vahalla Pure and Climb on in Squamish. They are great. They do have sales. As well as a knowledgable staff and alot of inventory.
I have purchased items there and in many climbing stores all over.
Thank you for adding them to the climbing store list.

thegeneral

Jan 29, 2011, 3:21 PM
Post #97 of 98 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neither,
most brands today have MAP pricing to keep things competitive. $15 felt hat? i think not.
just because a shop is a t a climbing area does not mean 40% mark up. retail is retail. if you want "deals" take your mom's trust fund and open a retail store and then see how easy it is to please everyone..

Kingfarvito

Jan 29, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #98 of 98 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thegeneral] Climbing Stores In Climbing Areas Friend or Foe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thegeneral wrote:
neither,
most brands today have MAP pricing to keep things competitive. $15 felt hat? i think not.
just because a shop is a t a climbing area does not mean 40% mark up. retail is retail. if you want "deals" take your mom's trust fund and open a retail store and then see how easy it is to please everyone..

We'd get a thread with her asking how to tie a noose in 6 months, I dont need that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook