Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

l3uddy789

Feb 10, 2011, 8:38 PM
Post #1 of 26 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Warm Climbing clothes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

At the begining of the academic year I moved up to Flagstaff, AZ from Austin Texas. Now that it is getting pretty cold I need to get some warmer clothes to climb in. Does anyone have recommendations of warm climbing shirts that arn't over $100. Everything I've looked at either looks like I wouldn't be able to move around in or is around $200.
I know that there are alot of posts about this kind of stuff, but none of them helped me out.
Thanks in advance
Ian

kachoong

Feb 10, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #2 of 26 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [l3uddy789] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Assuming you mean rock and not ice? If it's cold and dry I'll usually layer with a long sleeve base layer (eg. EMS techwick) with a short or long sleeve heavier layer, with a fleece for belays and something like a Marmot Precip jacket to cut the wind if needed. If I think I'll really feel the cold I'll put some long base bottoms under my climbing pants.

vegastradguy

Feb 10, 2011, 9:11 PM
Post #3 of 26 (3383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the Patagonia R1 Hoodie is worth every dime of its $150 price tag.

combine it with a shell of some sort and a baselayer and you'll be plenty warm for most climbing days!

byran

Feb 10, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #4 of 26 (3381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're just going to be cragging hit up Walmart and get some cotton thermals and a hoodie to climb in, and a synthetic poofie jacket to belay in. Total cost - $30

You don't need fancy synthetic base layers and lightweight shells unless you're doing backcountry in winter. Even then, the climbing brands are still sort of a rip off. I get most of my gear, like boots and stuff, from Big 5.

erisspirit

Feb 10, 2011, 9:34 PM
Post #5 of 26 (3365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [byran] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

byran wrote:
If you're just going to be cragging hit up Walmart and get some cotton thermals and a hoodie to climb in, and a synthetic poofie jacket to belay in. Total cost - $30

You don't need fancy synthetic base layers and lightweight shells unless you're doing backcountry in winter. Even then, the climbing brands are still sort of a rip off. I get most of my gear, like boots and stuff, from Big 5.

I held out with my cheap cotton thermals for so long. Then I picked up a couple nice base layers on steepandcheap.com for a good price. They were so much better than what I was using, I got rid of the crap thermals I had.

if your on a budget, the cheap stuff can work fine, but I must admit ... there are some really nice base layers out there.

kaizen

Feb 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #6 of 26 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

combine it with a shell of some sort and a baselayer and you'll be plenty warm for most climbing days!

Agree completely. However, if $150 is out of budget, you can get the exact same piece for $60 from MEC. The MEC Expedition Stretch Hoody is the exact same material, but missing the chest pocket and a chin/zipper protector (whatever that thing is called).

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888491&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627307

lofstromc

Feb 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #7 of 26 (3327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

byran wrote:

As a person who works outdoors all year long, and not in So Cal, I recommend staying away from cotton anything. The least amount of sweat will stay in the fabric and chill you to the bone.

The simple answer is wearing fabrics that wick away moisture, and layering them as needed.

l3uddy789

Feb 10, 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #8 of 26 (3313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaizen] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kaizen wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Agree completely. However, if $150 is out of budget, you can get the exact same piece for $60 from MEC. The MEC Expedition Stretch Hoody is the exact same material, but missing the chest pocket and a chin/zipper protector (whatever that thing is called).

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888491&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627307

Thank you this was really helpful. Also to clarify I am looking for certain brands that are cheap so I know what to look for, or places I can go to get cheap clothes that will work IE: wallmart.

Kartessa

Feb 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #9 of 26 (3308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaizen] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kaizen wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Excellent product, got me one... 'cept they don't got MEC in the USA...

How cold does it get in TX? Here in Canada, my winter rock climbing clothes are basically a midweight thermal top with a fleece jacket and if wind is a concern, I got a wind/rain jacket... It's not complicated and it need not be expensive.

1904climber

Feb 10, 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #10 of 26 (3294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:
Thank you this was really helpful. Also to clarify I am looking for certain brands that are cheap so I know what to look for, or places I can go to get cheap clothes that will work IE: wallmart.
Walmart has some Starter brand shirts and pants that are not made out of cotton.
i have a couple of them for colder nights (i climb at night once a week)

the most important thing is buying layers and making sure you don't sweat too much. when you sweat it will make your clothes wet, which will make you colder.
another reason why cotton is not good for cold weather.

Kartessa

Feb 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #11 of 26 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1904climber] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1904climber wrote:
l3uddy789 wrote:
Walmart has some Starter brand shirts and pants that are not made out of cotton.

the most important thing is buying layers and making sure you don't sweat too much. when you sweat it will make your clothes wet, which will make you colder.

Why you hate on cotton so much?

Synthetics are alright, as is cotton, but seriously? how cold does it get in Texas?

kachoong

Feb 10, 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #12 of 26 (3275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:
kaizen wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

The Precip is on sale at Moosejaw for 70 bucks. One of the best cheapest wind/rain block layers out there. THey also have the Patagonia R1 (without hood) for 120.

I use the EMC techwicks #1 as base layers, for about 30 bucks aren't too expensive for good base layers.

They also have the Mountain Hardwear Synchro for 120, which is a good softshell.

kachoong

Feb 10, 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #13 of 26 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
1904climber wrote:
l3uddy789 wrote:

Synthetics are alright, as is cotton, but seriously? how cold does it get in Texas?

The guy moved from TX to Flagstaff, AZ.

l3uddy789

Feb 11, 2011, 5:10 AM
Post #14 of 26 (3207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the info guys. I also just made plans to go on a backpacking trip this spring break. So I am going to need some waterproof pants. I am good on the jacket I am going to get the marmot preclip. Any other suggestions that you guys have just let me know.
Ian

erisspirit

Feb 11, 2011, 5:18 AM
Post #15 of 26 (3199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I love my softshell pants I now have, they are a bit spendy. worth it! but spendy

What I started with, and still use in the spring, are just a simple pair of sierra design waterproof pants. They came in a nice little stuff sack and are pretty durable. Also I found at night as an extra outer layer they actually held in a lot of warmth.

dan2see

Feb 11, 2011, 5:28 AM
Post #16 of 26 (3194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I buy fleecy jackets from Good Will or any second-hand store.
Last spring I bought 4 of them for $5 each. Two were useless but the other two looked good and felt great.

On cold spring and fall days I wear the two jackets over two shirts.

Anyway, "layers" is always good, and I can wear what I need, and leave the rest with my lunch.

cmagee1

Feb 11, 2011, 7:30 AM
Post #17 of 26 (3173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
I buy fleecy jackets from Good Will or any second-hand store.
Last spring I bought 4 of them for $5 each. Two were useless but the other two looked good and felt great.

On cold spring and fall days I wear the two jackets over two shirts.

Anyway, "layers" is always good, and I can wear what I need, and leave the rest with my lunch.

never, never, never overlook thrift stores. You can get dope deals. Honestly.

1904climber

Feb 11, 2011, 8:02 AM
Post #18 of 26 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
1904climber wrote:
l3uddy789 wrote:

i don't "hate on" cotton. it's not as good as other materials when it comes to cold weather outdoors stuff.

I have no idea how cold it gets in texas or arizona, but at my house in san diego, it gets below freezing most nights in winter. i only need warm clothes here when i climb at night. other wise i wear shorts and a tee shirt, both made out of cotton

lena_chita

Feb 11, 2011, 2:26 PM
Post #19 of 26 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The high-end items are expensive, for sure, but they last a long time, and the comfort is worth it.

Be on a lookout for items on sale.

In the meantime, I am sure you have some regular cheap generic fleece and long-sleeved shirts, they will work. My understanding from your previous posts is that you aren't exactly looking for high-teck gear for doing big-wall climb in winter. You are just doing single-pitch sport. Really, for that you are O.K. with piling up a lot of clothes to keep warm between climbing/while belaying, and then taking them off to climb. Weight and compressibility are not really a big concernt for you at this point.

sknowlton

Feb 11, 2011, 2:41 PM
Post #20 of 26 (3108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

byran wrote:

In the winter, cotton kills. Cold is bad enough, but cold and wet can deadly. (Nevermind damn uncomfortable!)

Kartessa

Feb 11, 2011, 3:07 PM
Post #21 of 26 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sknowlton] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sknowlton wrote:
byran wrote:

In the winter, cotton kills. Cold is bad enough, but cold and wet can deadly. (Nevermind damn uncomfortable!)

Then wear wool... my grandma knits a mean sweater.

charley

Feb 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #22 of 26 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a decent baselayer. You can then get fleece even down at goodwill.

granite_grrl

Feb 12, 2011, 1:24 AM
Post #23 of 26 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
sknowlton wrote:
byran wrote:

A good wool base layer is waaaaaayyyyy more expensive than synthetic.

Tip: You don't have to to get name brands to stay warm. Wicking synthetics are pretty hot right now, so take a look at the materials (avoiding cotton), make sure it's a decent weave (unlike cheap polyester from the 70s) and check out the cut (ie - make sure you can comfortably raise your hands above your head). You might also be able to find a cheapo down/synthetic insulation vest, it's getting to be that time of year that they go on the clearance rack.

Also, a decent pair of long-johns go a long way. At the top end they shouldn't be more than $30. And remember socks.....much nicer to have wool or a decent synthetic that doesn't hold moisture from your sweaty feet of when your shoes fill with snow (assuming you have to deal with snow).

Kartessa

Feb 12, 2011, 2:17 AM
Post #24 of 26 (2937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Warm Climbing clothes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
sknowlton wrote:
byran wrote:

A good wool base layer is waaaaaayyyyy more expensive than synthetic.

Tip: You don't have to to get name brands to stay warm. Wicking synthetics are pretty hot right now, so take a look at the materials (avoiding cotton), make sure it's a decent weave (unlike cheap polyester from the 70s) and check out the cut (ie - make sure you can comfortably raise your hands above your head). You might also be able to find a cheapo down/synthetic insulation vest, it's getting to be that time of year that they go on the clearance rack.

Also, a decent pair of long-johns go a long way. At the top end they shouldn't be more than $30. And remember socks.....much nicer to have wool or a decent synthetic that doesn't hold moisture from your sweaty feet of when your shoes fill with snow (assuming you have to deal with snow).

Grandma knits for free... it's like having my own personal sweat shop, right in my basement!

cmagee1

Feb 12, 2011, 2:36 AM
Post #25 of 26 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You should look into one of these

(This post was edited by cmagee1 on Feb 12, 2011, 2:37 AM)
Attachments: wool.jpg (16.7 KB)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook