Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ckirkwood9

Feb 24, 2011, 4:14 PM
Post #1 of 33 (15506 views)
Shortcut

Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

Backcountry has the Men's Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe IMPROVED Harness on sale for $76.

I've had my eye on the safe-tech harness for a while, and am interested in purchasing...

Anyone have a review? Opinions?

One thing that concerns me a little is where the gear loops are placed. It LOOKS like one loop is sewn to the bottom of the waist belt, the other is sewn to the top of the waist belt right above it.... i.e. the upper one sits on top of the lower one... i imagine racking gear would be difficult on the lower loop if you have gear on the upper loop BUT i can't see the harness from a side view - no web sites that i've found have a side-view of the harness.

Anyone have any experience with this IMPROVED harness?

http://www.backcountry.com/...amp;mr:referralID=NA

alexnees

Feb 24, 2011, 4:25 PM
Post #2 of 33 (15487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The loops are offset back to front, as one would imagine, and are not directly above each other.

No personal experience with this harness. I can only recommend this review

ckirkwood9

Feb 24, 2011, 4:33 PM
Post #3 of 33 (15476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexnees] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that review is for the original 'safe tech', not the
'safe tech IMPROVED'

anyone else?

ckirkwood9

Feb 24, 2011, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 33 (15475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the original:

the 'improved'

taydude

Feb 24, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #5 of 33 (15451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

Honestly, go get a better harness. This harness is purely designed for inexperienced people that don't understand redundancy. Why would you ever double up the belay loop? It's already the strongest part of the harness. It's also stupid to make almost every part of the harness hold body weight. People should just learn how to use their harness correctly. What happens when you move to a normal harness and you forget you can't belay off your gear loop anymore?

ckirkwood9

Feb 24, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #6 of 33 (15437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it just looks super comfortable, esp for bigger walls. I currently climb with a Black Diamond Blizzard harness (which i love), but it sometimes gets a little uncomfortable on hanging belays.

I'm really looking for someone who has actual experience with the harness rather than opinions on the design.

How well does it rack gear, does the placement of the gear loops create a problem. How is it on long climbs, hot days, etc.

Thanks for the response though.

rockklimber

Feb 24, 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #7 of 33 (15393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have three of these harnesses so I'll give you my gear review(s).
I originally bought the regular safe tech harness because I think the molded gear loops on my first harness sucked when going up a chimney (catches on everything). I put many pitches on the new harness and it worked fine until I started to rack my trad gear on my harness. The weight of the gear caused the rear part of the waist loop to fold under.
So then I purchased the Safe Tech Deluxe (older version). The waist loop is larger in the back and this solved the problem with folding under. I used this harness for a couple of years climbing 30-40wkends a year and it worked perfectly. I saw the new Safe Tech Deluxe on sale and was noticing some wear on the older version so decided it was a good time to get a new harness.
So I have been using the new harness for maybe a year or so. It fits the same, but there are two obvious changes. The first is it has two belay loops. I personally haven't found a need for two belay loops so this wasn't really a change for me.
The other obvious change is the gear loops. The old harness had them in series. The new one has the back smaller gear loops slightly overlapping the front gear loops and slightly lower. At first this seemed strange, but I have learned that it makes it easier to reach gear on the rear loops than it was on the old harness since the rear loops is a little farther forward. I think the rear loop is a little bigger too.
As for fit, since the waist belt and leg loops are wider it is more comfortable during hanging belays. I have aided for up to 4+hrs in each deluxe version and haven't felt any discomfort (but then again I'm moving quite a bit so not still for very long).
Both harness have rated rear haul loops which some harnesses don't have.
Bottom line, I would recommend this harness.
Hope this helps.

(This post was edited by rockklimber on Feb 24, 2011, 8:06 PM)

rockklimber

Feb 24, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #8 of 33 (15381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
Honestly, go get a better harness. This harness is purely designed for inexperienced people that don't understand redundancy. Why would you ever double up the belay loop? It's already the strongest part of the harness. It's also stupid to make almost every part of the harness hold body weight. People should just learn how to use their harness correctly. What happens when you move to a normal harness and you forget you can't belay off your gear loop anymore?

I'm experienced and I understand redundancy.
I don't need a doubled up belay loop, but I know many other aid climbers who use them.
Why is it stupid to make every part of a harness hold bodyweight? (note: every gear loop on this harness is rated to 10kN which is much more than just bodyweight).
Have you ever seen anybody belay off their gear loop? I haven't.

hyhuu

Feb 24, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #9 of 33 (15366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

taydude wrote:

Aid/Big Wall.

vegastradguy

Feb 24, 2011, 8:47 PM
Post #10 of 33 (15357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockklimber] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockklimber wrote:

i have- and there's also the case where a girl at a climbing gym clipped into her gear loop, climbed up, and i believe either died or was seriously injured when the gear loop failed.

its not necessarily stupid to make the harness stronger, but it 'dumbs down' the required skill set to climb safely, something that strikes me as dangerous. this sport isnt exactly rocket science, so asking people who are coming into it to pay attention isnt, in my opinon, too much to ask. after all, if they choose wrong, they or their partner could not live to tell the tale.

edit: to the OP- go hang in one of these harnesses. it can look comfy for all the world, but if it doesnt fit you correctly, there's no point in purchasing it. there are a ton of comfortable harnesses out there- try a bunch on and buy the one you like.

(This post was edited by vegastradguy on Feb 24, 2011, 8:49 PM)

rockklimber

Feb 24, 2011, 9:01 PM
Post #11 of 33 (15343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
rockklimber wrote:

i have- and there's also the case where a girl at a climbing gym clipped into her gear loop, climbed up, and i believe either died or was seriously injured when the gear loop failed.

its not necessarily stupid to make the harness stronger, but it 'dumbs down' the required skill set to climb safely, something that strikes me as dangerous. this sport isnt exactly rocket science, so asking people who are coming into it to pay attention isnt, in my opinon, too much to ask. after all, if they choose wrong, they or their partner could not live to tell the tale.

edit: to the OP- go hang in one of these harnesses. it can look comfy for all the world, but if it doesnt fit you correctly, there's no point in purchasing it. there are a ton of comfortable harnesses out there- try a bunch on and buy the one you like.

Damn, that's pretty stupid to belay off a gear loop. And I think I've actually caught someone tying into their gear loop now that I think of it. Now I'm split between letting nature take it's course or have them be saved by an overkill harness. Too many gumbies out there already. Darwin....

Yep, I agree none of this stuff is rocket science and if you are too stupid to tie in or belay correctly then maybe you should stick to ping pong or something safer.
And I agree with just going out and trying out the harness yourself. Can't tell how it fits just by looking at a picture or reading a review. But I still like the harness.

ckirkwood9

Feb 24, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #12 of 33 (15341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockklimber] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockklimber wrote:
I have three of these harnesses so I'll give you my gear review(s)....
Hope this helps.

YES it did... THANKS - this is exactly what i was looking for... actual user review as opposed to conjecture. Stars to you my man!

alexnees

Feb 24, 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #13 of 33 (15298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexnees wrote:
No personal experience with this harness. I can only recommend this review

ckirkwood9 wrote:
that review is for the original 'safe tech', not the
'safe tech IMPROVED'

woosh

charlie.elverson

Feb 25, 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #14 of 33 (15269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the big wall version of this harness and it's a great harness. I have a few observations about this harness, which I think transfer between the one you're looking at and the big wall version.

1) the adjustable rise is pretty nice. you can adjust how far the leg loop buckles are below the belay loop. this seemed silly to me, at first, but after getting the length adjust correctly, the harness is even more comfortable.

2) the buckles are a pain in the ass. For some reason, doubling back the buckles on this harness is far more difficult than normal (I think it has to do with them designing the buckle for extra safety when not doubled-back)

3) for day-to-day use, the double belay loops seem pretty useless. The only situation where I use them is on a big wall.

TradEddie

Feb 25, 2011, 6:03 PM
Post #15 of 33 (15168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the old version, I bought it because I loved the fit of my previous Metolius harness, and this fits great too. I don't like where the front gear loops are located because it interferes with the end of the waist belt, or maybe more importantly the end of the belt interferes with gear on the loop. I also found the rear loops to be a bit small. I wouldn't buy the new one with the two belay loops, that just looks like a clusterf** waiting to happen.

TE

ianwatson

Feb 28, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #16 of 33 (15060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TradEddie] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im in the market for a new harness, anyone know if this harness is made in USA? If it is i will buy it just for that. i like all my metolius gear but have never tryed one of there harnesses.

ckirkwood9

Mar 2, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #17 of 33 (14979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianwatson] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ordered this... i'll give a review once i've climbed in it.

ianwatson

Mar 2, 2011, 7:38 PM
Post #18 of 33 (14978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found out it is USA made but they did not have my size M, but i looked it over looks like a well made harness. i will check back and hopefull have it soon.

vegastradguy

Mar 2, 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #19 of 33 (14957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianwatson] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ianwatson wrote:
I found out it is USA made but they did not have my size M, but i looked it over looks like a well made harness. i will check back and hopefull have it soon.

fwiw, Yates and Misty Mountain are two other companies that make their harnesses in the USA, as do several other companies.

also fwiw- where the harness is made has no bearing on its safety.

caughtinside

Mar 2, 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #20 of 33 (14947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

I agree with you on that, but some people like purchase stuff made in the USA to support our local and national economies. I myself strongly prefer to buy goods made here.

ianwatson

Mar 3, 2011, 2:38 PM
Post #21 of 33 (14884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
ianwatson wrote:

fwiw, Yates and Misty Mountain are two other companies that make their harnesses in the USA, as do several other companies.

yeah i dont do it for safety, i do it to support our workers. i have a misty mountain now and it has been a good harness.

ianwatson

Mar 3, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #22 of 33 (14883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

I agree with you on that, but some people like purchase stuff made in the USA to support our local and national economies. I myself strongly prefer to buy goods made here.

Amen

Lbrombach

Mar 3, 2011, 4:10 PM
Post #23 of 33 (14859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had it for almost a year... Use it at the gym and on sport outside. It works. It's way more comfortable than my old harness. I don't know how well the loops would hold a bunch of trad gear... they seem to get fairly crowded with just quickdraws for long pitches. Why would one belay off a gear loop with so many belay loops to choose from? They're not reduntant for strength/safety, it's a big wall thing, but I often use one to anchor at the top of a sport pitch, and rig my rappel with the other. Just keeps shit from getting in the way. Do I need 10kn gear loops? No, but from time to time I'll use them for a second anchor point...say if I want to hang around and the geometry makes it easier for me to keep equal-ish tension on both anchor points.

I can see how it allows the "dumbing down" of climbers and have been concerned because noobs can see me using gear loops for stuff and think that it's ok with their harness too. Just know YOUR gear and don't forget which harness you've got on if you ever switch.

MS1

Mar 4, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #24 of 33 (14786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ianwatson wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
ianwatson wrote:

yeah i dont do it for safety, i do it to support our workers. i have a misty mountain now and it has been a good harness.

"Our workers?"

You don't know (I assume) the people who make metolius harnesses, or any of the harnesses made in another country. All these harnesses are made by people, none of whom you have any real connection with. To the extent that you care about who your money goes to, it would be better to buy harnesses made in poorer countries with less of a safety net than America; those workers will suffer much more if demand drops enough that they lose their jobs.

Preferring to "buy American" is just in-group nonsense. Buy the gear you like the best, and if you are indifferent, choose something that puts money in the hands of actually needy people.

[/standard rant]

(Edited to add that I respect metolius gear a lot, own some of it, and have no reason to think these aren't good harnesses sold at a decent price.)

(This post was edited by MS1 on Mar 4, 2011, 7:40 PM)

ianwatson

Mar 4, 2011, 7:53 PM
Post #25 of 33 (14773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Gear Review? - Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness - Men's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
ianwatson wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
ianwatson wrote:

"Our workers?"

You don't know (I assume) the people who make metolius harnesses, or any of the harnesses made in another country. All these harnesses are made by people, none of whom you have any real connection with. To the extent that you care about who your money goes to, it would be better to buy harnesses made in poorer countries with less of a safety net than America; those workers will suffer much more if demand drops enough that they lose their jobs.

Preferring to "buy American" is just in-group nonsense. Buy the gear you like the best, and if you are indifferent, choose something that puts money in the hands of actually needy people.

[/standard rant]

(Edited to add that I respect metolius gear a lot, own some of it, and have no reason to think these aren't good harnesses sold at a decent price.)

no need for me to argue with you, we all have our own views.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook