Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

breakpoint

Feb 28, 2011, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 38 (7703 views)
Shortcut

2nd 5.13d 12 y.o.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Zhenya Kazbekova did her first 5.13b in 2008. It was in Crimea's Red Stone in Ukraine, the route named "Time Ch"
This is the movieof her working the route:
link: http://vimeo.com/4779035

One year later she sent her fisrt 5.13d "New Konigsberg" and one week later she did her 2nd 5.13d "Zhu-zha"
http://www.risk.ru/i/post/44/44080.jpg
http://mountain.kz/images/2528.jpg

I am inspired by this girl and she is an example how one should do reachy moves, and to stop complaining about one's small stature and "reachy move at the top"

areyoumydude

Feb 28, 2011, 7:09 PM
Post #2 of 38 (7671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [breakpoint] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

breakpoint wrote:
Zhenya Kazbekova did her first 5.13b in 2008. It was in Crimea's Red Stone in Ukraine, the route named "Time Ch"

One year later she sent her fisrt 5.13d "New Konigsberg" and one week later she did her 2nd 5.13d "Zhu-zha"

I am inspired by this girl and she is an example how one should do reachy moves, and to stop complaining about one's small stature and "reachy move at the top"

spikeddem

Feb 28, 2011, 7:16 PM
Post #3 of 38 (7640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
breakpoint wrote:

Uncalled for.

vegastradguy

Feb 28, 2011, 7:46 PM
Post #4 of 38 (7583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

1) it was a video of her sending the route, not working it. fucking awesome.

2) she sent with no chalk. more awesome. (judging from one of the .13d pics, she doesnt use chalk- even more awesome)

3) do they only allow 11mm lines in the Ukraine? Look at the size of that rope in relation to her- good lord. I bet she could send .14d with a 9.2mm!

Jooler

Feb 28, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #5 of 38 (7499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gonna suck when she gets tendonitis at 16 and when puberty hits and she loses strength. Enjoy your time in the lime light, young one.

spikeddem

Feb 28, 2011, 9:18 PM
Post #6 of 38 (7496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jooler] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
Gonna suck when she gets tendonitis at 16 and when puberty hits and she loses strength. Enjoy your time in the lime light, young one.
Wow.

Jooler

Feb 28, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #7 of 38 (7487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What? You think it won't suck, and will be great?

milesenoell

Feb 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #9 of 38 (7414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You aren't going to call her out on the pinkpoint?

ENARE

Feb 28, 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #10 of 38 (7408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

breakpoint wrote:

She is a champ!

Jooler

Feb 28, 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #11 of 38 (7400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Naw, really I'm just telling it like it is. Pushing kids at a young age too hard in a sport that is tendon intensive will have bad reprocussions. Just look at Cicada Jenerik. She's got mad tendonitis already.

spikeddem

Feb 28, 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #12 of 38 (7380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
Naw, really I'm just telling it like it is. Pushing kids at a young age too hard in a sport that is tendon intensive will have bad reprocussions. Just look at Cicada Jenerik. She's got mad tendonitis already.
Yeah, cuz I don't know anyone that started when they were in their late teens/early twenties and doesn't have the same issue.

milesenoell

Feb 28, 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #13 of 38 (7375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
Naw, really I'm just telling it like it is. Pushing kids at a young age too hard in a sport that is tendon intensive will have bad repercussions. Just look at Cicada Jenerik. She's got mad tendinitis already.

I'd think Cicada's intensive bouldering background would put her at elevated risk of tendinitis, rather than if her focus was on free. Frankly, I'd want more data on the subject before making any strong statements. Since tendinitis is common among all climbers, seeing it in young climbers doesn't seem especially damning.

Jooler

Feb 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #14 of 38 (7371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I have no scientific evidence about it, it just seems logical that it will set in quicker and be more extreme if established during the developing/growing stages of life. You're probably right that route climbing as opposed to bouldering will have less of an effect, though I'm sure there still will be something.

squierbypetzl

Mar 1, 2011, 1:30 AM
Post #15 of 38 (7287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crass as his post was, Jooler´s right. 13d at 12 is insane. Hopefully her parents will make her slow down for a few years, for her own sake.

milesenoell

Mar 1, 2011, 1:34 AM
Post #16 of 38 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
Although I have no scientific evidence about it, it just seems logical that it will set in quicker and be more extreme if established during the developing/growing stages of life. You're probably right that route climbing as opposed to bouldering will have less of an effect, though I'm sure there still will be something.

While I share your presumption that climbing hard on developing joints sounds like a path to chronic injury problems, but it all sounds so much like the arguments about risk that I have to question it.

It's easy to say "wait till your grown up" but I'm not convinced that so many problems are really addressed properly by just waiting.

guangzhou

Mar 1, 2011, 2:00 AM
Post #17 of 38 (7255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Caldwell, Katie Brown and Sharma seem to be doing quite well these days.

Sounds to me like someone here is making excuses for not pushing themselves more. I remember people commenting on Sharma's lack of footwork when he first came on the scene. I think I even read he wouldn't climb beyond his eighteen birthday because he body would be to beat-up from all the dynamic moves.

Is climbing hard on the body, yes. According to a report by the UIAAA named growing pains:

In reply to:
Climbing and growth
In one study of 90 male and female junior competition climbers, whose average age was 13.5 (a
range of 10.5 to 16.5 years), the climbers were found to be at or below the 50th centile on growth
velocity charts when measured for height, weight and amount of body fat. Even when these
climbers were compared to athletic control subjects of identical age and gender, they were still
found to be shorter, leaner and have less body fat. What was not clear was whether these
competitive climbers were simply that size and shape because of selection in the first place, or
from inappropriate training and dietary habits.

More research needed. Investigate proper nutrition.

In reply to:
Body fat
The effects of high intensity training and inadequate nutrition in a lean athlete can delay their
pubertal growth spurt and sexual maturation, or in severe cases, ensure that it doesn’t occur
properly. Predictable hormonal changes that trigger pubertal developmental and growth cannot
fully take place in an adolescent without enough body fat. It’s well known that in sports in which a
www.uiaa.ch
thin body is thought to be advantageous, that there is a high risk of developing the ‘female
athletic triad’. This triad is characterised by menstrual cycle abnormalities, eating disorders, and
premature osteoporosis (brittle bone). Excessively lean males will not produce enough
testosterone essential for strength and health among other problems.
Load bearing sports like climbing promote strong bone growth, which is good. However, too little
body fat is independently associated with reduced bone growth and stress fractures, especially in
females. There are no charts stating how much body fat a growing youngster should have, but
regularly plotting their height and weight on growth charts will show how they compare with
normal developmental growth. In adults we know that the minimum amount of body fat
compatible with health is 12% in females, and 5% in males.

Low body fat, not good. Also true on babies by the way.

I'll find the link to the whole thing later.

Looking at the video, this just looks like a girl doing what she enjoys. I sure her parents support her, but I am not convince they force her to climb hard.

In this case, the route is hard, but it's not a campus fest, and she's using her feet quite well.

Again, I think someone here is just upset that they are being outperformed by a little girl. Me, I'm impressed, this gives me a slight window into where the sport is headed.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Mar 1, 2011, 2:03 AM)

Partner j_ung

Mar 1, 2011, 3:13 AM
Post #18 of 38 (7204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like her style, but she'd climb 5.14 without all that hair weight. Laugh

enigma

Mar 1, 2011, 4:15 AM
Post #19 of 38 (7163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Caldwell, Katie Brown and Sharma seem to be doing quite well these days.

Sounds to me like someone here is making excuses for not pushing themselves more. I remember people commenting on Sharma's lack of footwork when he first came on the scene. I think I even read he wouldn't climb beyond his eighteen birthday because he body would be to beat-up from all the dynamic moves.

Is climbing hard on the body, yes. According to a report by the UIAAA named growing pains:

In reply to:
Climbing and growth
In one study of 90 male and female junior competition climbers, whose average age was 13.5 (a
range of 10.5 to 16.5 years), the climbers were found to be at or below the 50th centile on growth
velocity charts when measured for height, weight and amount of body fat. Even when these
climbers were compared to athletic control subjects of identical age and gender, they were still
found to be shorter, leaner and have less body fat. What was not clear was whether these
competitive climbers were simply that size and shape because of selection in the first place, or
from inappropriate training and dietary habits.

More research needed. Investigate proper nutrition.

In reply to:
Body fat
The effects of high intensity training and inadequate nutrition in a lean athlete can delay their
pubertal growth spurt and sexual maturation, or in severe cases, ensure that it doesn’t occur
properly. Predictable hormonal changes that trigger pubertal developmental and growth cannot
fully take place in an adolescent without enough body fat. It’s well known that in sports in which a
www.uiaa.ch
thin body is thought to be advantageous, that there is a high risk of developing the ‘female
athletic triad’. This triad is characterised by menstrual cycle abnormalities, eating disorders, and
premature osteoporosis (brittle bone). Excessively lean males will not produce enough
testosterone essential for strength and health among other problems.
Load bearing sports like climbing promote strong bone growth, which is good. However, too little
body fat is independently associated with reduced bone growth and stress fractures, especially in
females. There are no charts stating how much body fat a growing youngster should have, but
regularly plotting their height and weight on growth charts will show how they compare with
normal developmental growth. In adults we know that the minimum amount of body fat
compatible with health is 12% in females, and 5% in males.

Low body fat, not good. Also true on babies by the way.

I'll find the link to the whole thing later.

Looking at the video, this just looks like a girl doing what she enjoys. I sure her parents support her, but I am not convince they force her to climb hard.

In this case, the route is hard, but it's not a campus fest, and she's using her feet quite well.

Again, I think someone here is just upset that they are being outperformed by a little girl. Me, I'm impressed, this gives me a slight window into where the sport is headed.

Yes, she is very talented. A real acrobatic style in her movement.
I think your right, people are always just a ltttle jealous of a 12 yr old girl who climb 5.14.
Sly

JasonsDrivingForce

Mar 1, 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #20 of 38 (7058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That girl is amazing and that video was great to watch.

As far as Cicada Jenerik goes the only video I have ever seen of her just showed her doing some pretty extreme stuff on a campus board at a very young age. They pulled the video down but I am willing to bet that is why she is experiencing tendon issues today. I hope she makes it back on top one day. She is still a great climber.

guangzhou

Mar 2, 2011, 12:19 AM
Post #21 of 38 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:

As far as Cicada Jenerik goes the only video I have ever seen of her just showed her doing some pretty extreme stuff on a campus board at a very young age. They pulled the video down but I am willing to bet that is why she is experiencing tendon issues today. I hope she makes it back on top one day. She is still a great climber.

Who said she has tendon issues?

spikeddem

Mar 2, 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #22 of 38 (6985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

Jooler.

guangzhou

Mar 2, 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #23 of 38 (6970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

Jooler.

Oh, we already decided he's ego is bruised because a 12 year girl climbs harder than him. She doesn't have tendon problems that we know of.

jcrew

Mar 2, 2011, 1:07 AM
Post #24 of 38 (6961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
yeah, she's gonna suck like Ondra does now.

Jooler

Mar 2, 2011, 1:22 AM
Post #25 of 38 (6955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcrew] 2nd 5.13d 12 y.o. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jcrew wrote:

Jooler wrote:
yeah, she's gonna suck like Ondra does now.

Did I say she's going to suck? Or that it will suck when she gets tendonitis?

She will always be good, and yea, she's better than me (but only slightly Smile), but she is also on a path for some painful hands in a few years.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook