Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

guyzo

Mar 2, 2011, 3:06 PM
Post #26 of 31 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] Most aesthetic single pitch climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Up at the Top of the Palm Springs Tramway, on Kaufman Crag is a 165 foot long one pitch climb named "Its always something". The FA was by Kris Solem and its about 11b. You need to do every type of climbing, from chimney, to OW, to fist, hand, finger, seam, lyback, undercling to steep face, face to low angle super slippery friction at the top. I wanted to have a smoke at the top. Kris was working with Gilda while she was recording her biography. He told me the name was fitting.

One can see the top of Kaufman, on the left, just as the tram is docking at the top. The law up there hates climbers so hide the fact. The cliff is on Indian Land so the LEOS can't really harm you.

MS1

Mar 2, 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #27 of 31 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guyzo] Most aesthetic single pitch climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guyzo wrote:
Up at the Top of the Palm Springs Tramway, on Kaufman Crag is a 165 foot long one pitch climb named "Its always something". The FA was by Kris Solem and its about 11b. You need to do every type of climbing, from chimney, to OW, to fist, hand, finger, seam, lyback, undercling to steep face, face to low angle super slippery friction at the top. I wanted to have a smoke at the top. Kris was working with Gilda while she was recording her biography. He told me the name was fitting.

One can see the top of Kaufman, on the left, just as the tram is docking at the top. The law up there hates climbers so hide the fact. The cliff is on Indian Land so the LEOS can't really harm you.

Given the subject of this thread, this is worthless without pics.

sp115

Mar 2, 2011, 8:30 PM
Post #28 of 31 (2222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Most aesthetic single pitch climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
See when I think of the most aesthetic pitch I'm not necessarily thining about it's exposure and photographic opportunities. I'm thinkingmore about it's architecture, and the emotions it evokes when I look at it.

Also, a single pitch climb sort of means one pitch from the ground...not one pitch somewhere on a 30 pitch route.

With all that being said, I haven't gone cragging in a ton of places, but Bonnie's Roof in the Gunks in one pitch would get my immediate first vote. If you haven't seen it, it is beautiful ornage color, huge right facing corner capped by a couple of serious roofs and it is about 140' long or so.

Reppy's Crack on Cannon is kinda nice to look at too, but if you like to look at cracks I'm sure you would be partial to the Creek.

RR

I understand Bonnie's Roof, it's a pretty corner, but as a single pitch, how can it compare to this?

Attachments: Sharma.jpg (88.0 KB)

rangerrob

Mar 3, 2011, 4:52 AM
Post #29 of 31 (2177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Most aesthetic single pitch climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's pretty cool. Not exactly what I would look for, but I understand the appeal.

blondgecko

Mar 3, 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #30 of 31 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Most aesthetic single pitch climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
See when I think of the most aesthetic pitch I'm not necessarily thining about it's exposure and photographic opportunities. I'm thinkingmore about it's architecture, and the emotions it evokes when I look at it.

Also, a single pitch climb sort of means one pitch from the ground...not one pitch somewhere on a 30 pitch route.

With all that being said, I haven't gone cragging in a ton of places, but Bonnie's Roof in the Gunks in one pitch would get my immediate first vote. If you haven't seen it, it is beautiful ornage color, huge right facing corner capped by a couple of serious roofs and it is about 140' long or so.

Reppy's Crack on Cannon is kinda nice to look at too, but if you like to look at cracks I'm sure you would be partial to the Creek.

RR

I understand Bonnie's Roof, it's a pretty corner, but as a single pitch, how can it compare to this?

I don't know about Bonnie's roof, but I think Over the Moon compares quite well.

sp115

Mar 3, 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #31 of 31 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Most aesthetic single pitch climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Certainly does, (and I'm thankful it wasn't Delicate Arch).

(This post was edited by sp115 on Mar 3, 2011, 12:22 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook