Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Ladies Strength and Weakness in Climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Mar 12, 2011, 1:11 AM
Post #1 of 9 (6534 views)
Shortcut

Ladies Strength and Weakness in Climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

While not necessarily gender specific, seems like women have some difficulty with reachy moves and perhaps some overhangs.
Perhaps height specific, so taller women would have less issue. Overhangs difficulty due to upper body strength, do you think?
Though because many women have good flexibility , and smaller hands we are often better at thin finger cracks.
There is also some advantage due to strength to weight ratio. Obviously being 95 pounds is easier to pull yourself up, even with less muscle.
What are your personal strengths and weakness when it comes to climbing? Any particular type of climbs are easier to do for the grade?
For instance I'm better at laybacks than a very pumpy roof.
So what are your personal strengths or weakness in climbing? Which climbs are easier and harder for you to do within the same grade? Do you believe it is gender specific?

gblauer

Mar 12, 2011, 4:41 AM
Post #2 of 9 (6512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Ladies Strength and Weakness in Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Overhanging jug fests
Roofs

Forget the thin facey stuff for me, I have no technique whatsoever.

granite_grrl

Mar 12, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Ladies Strength and Weakness in Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You kick ass Gail.

I think I'm best at slightly overhanging endurance climbs, hopefully with larger moves in there to keep it interesting.

I'm not very good at it, but I love power endurance routes with a strong dose of power. Super fun, and a huge sense of achievement when I finally work and string together the power moves.

Used to like that slabby stuff, but my legs haven't really been up to it for a number of years. I'm cool with that, who wants to push themselves on a routes that you're just going to cheese grater down when you fall?

smallclimber

Mar 13, 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think women tend to be better at bridging/stemming than men. Certainly this is one thing I have over my husband.
He has a much greater reach than me, however I can use lower hand holds than him. For example a useful hold for me at chest height is down around his waist and less useful. Despite our remarkably different physics we appear to have reached a very comparable level of coimbing. And interestingly this applies to a number of other sports we do as well.

enigma

Mar 16, 2011, 7:00 AM
Post #5 of 9 (6399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Ladies Strength and Weakness in Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

smallclimber wrote:
I think women tend to be better at bridging/stemming than men. Certainly this is one thing I have over my husband.
He has a much greater reach than me, however I can use lower hand holds than him. For example a useful hold for me at chest height is down around his waist and less useful. Despite our remarkably different physics we appear to have reached a very comparable level of coimbing. And interestingly this applies to a number of other sports we do as well.
That is something I never thought of, I guess I always feel like taller people have the advantage. I went climbing today and was climbing with some tall skinny guy his reach was so much easier.
Whereas the more crimpy , balancy, and high steps are easier for me.
I'm trying to concentrate on sustained overhangs at a moderate level so build more strength .

enigma

Mar 16, 2011, 7:23 AM
Post #6 of 9 (6397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Ladies Strength and Weakness in Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
You kick ass Gail.

I think I'm best at slightly overhanging endurance climbs, hopefully with larger moves in there to keep it interesting.

I'm not very good at it, but I love power endurance routes with a strong dose of power. Super fun, and a huge sense of achievement when I finally work and string together the power moves.

Used to like that slabby stuff, but my legs haven't really been up to it for a number of years. I'm cool with that, who wants to push themselves on a routes that you're just going to cheese grater down when you fall?

I've done alot of liebacks and am good at them, however those handjams and turning your hand in place of gear in sharp rock It hurts. A friend of mine got stuck and he dislocated his shoulder , he was just hanging there. for hours . He never recovered fully.

Slabby stuff do you mean completely polished with no friction ,granite girl?

nessie

Mar 16, 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #7 of 9 (6390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

something to think about....In the book 9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakes by D.MacLeod small people are referred to as LUCKY LITTLE ONES!!!Three cheers for us...there is almost always a way to reach although alot of the time we need to go more dynamic and that requires alot of training but hey, when the experts call us lucky.....it must be true!Smile

enigma

Mar 16, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #8 of 9 (6364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nessie] Ladies Strength and Weakness in Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nessie wrote:
something to think about....In the book 9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakes by D.MacLeod small people are referred to as LUCKY LITTLE ONES!!!Three cheers for us...there is almost always a way to reach although alot of the time we need to go more dynamic and that requires alot of training but hey, when the experts call us lucky.....it must be true!Smile
Cool My fingers are small so some of the cracks are easier, maybe the reachy climbs I need to figure out a different way. ?

nessie

Mar 16, 2011, 4:35 PM
Post #9 of 9 (6355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I am extremely lucky to get alot of coaching from 3 fabulous long time climbers...One for strength and 2 for technique- for my height it means alot of footwork, putting my feet higher or working on friction only and heaps of dynamic moves as well. I'm still only a beginner, climbing since just under 2 years now,and about a year ago i was really frustrated due to not reaching untill these guys and their wisdom came along..I hope it helps you too!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook