Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

kaizen

Mar 15, 2011, 9:05 PM
Post #51 of 144 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
csproul wrote:
shoo wrote:
By my count, according to this survey, 61% of climbers have climbed 5.12 or above.

. . .

. . .

. . .

BAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
Kind of funny how many internet hardmen/women there are, huh? Why is it that every climbing area I go to has to the longest lines on climbs 5.10 and below?

Because 5.12 climbers don't drag 3 of their friends that have never climbed before up a route and clog up the route for an hour and a half?

Or perhaps because the areas that you're going to are predominately underhung and therefore centered around 5.10 climbing?

This of course doesn't address your implication that someone who has climbed a 5.12 is a "hardman".
I'll go beyond implying and state with almost certainty that there are far more climbers that cannot climb 5.12 than those who can, and yet once again on this website, the opposite appears to be true. You may be right about the ganging of easier routes, but that would contribute to the whole numbers thing, huh? I've climbed at many of the US destination crags and at most all of them, the majority of climbers are climbing below 5.12, including some with extensive sport climbing; Rumney, RRG, NRG, Red Rocks, Obed, ORG, Boulder Canyon etc...It is certainly true for the destinations I have been to with more trad climbing; Yosemite, JT, Gunks, IC. The only places I have seen with more 5.12+ climbers than below are places like Rifle, that are steep sport-centric places with very few easier climbs, and these in the minority.

While I agree, I think there are a few things. First, people who spend the day reading through forums on rock climbing are probably more likely to dedicate extra time to climbing harder than the person who gets out a few times per year. It's obsession, perhaps. Second, I think that there are very few people who would post a reply if they have not climbed 5.12, relative to those who have.

With that said, I think the old "divide by three" rule can apply here Tongue

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 15, 2011, 9:30 PM
Post #52 of 144 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
csproul wrote:
shoo wrote:
By my count, according to this survey, 61% of climbers have climbed 5.12 or above.

. . .

. . .

. . .

Kind of funny how many internet hardmen/women there are, huh? Why is it that every climbing area I go to has to the longest lines on climbs 5.10 and below?

Because 5.12 climbers don't drag 3 of their friends that have never climbed before up a route and clog up the route for an hour and a half?

Or perhaps because the areas that you're going to are predominately underhung and therefore centered around 5.10 climbing?

This of course doesn't address your implication that someone who has climbed a 5.12 is a "hardman".
I'll go beyond implying and state with almost certainty that there are far more climbers that cannot climb 5.12 than those who can, and yet once again on this website, the opposite appears to be true. You may be right about the ganging of easier routes, but that would contribute to the whole numbers thing, huh? I've climbed at many of the US destination crags and at most all of them, the majority of climbers are climbing below 5.12, including some with extensive sport climbing; Rumney, RRG, NRG, Red Rocks, Obed, ORG, Boulder Canyon etc...It is certainly true for the destinations I have been to with more trad climbing; Yosemite, JT, Gunks, IC. The only places I have seen with more 5.12+ climbers than below are places like Rifle, that are steep sport-centric places with very few easier climbs, and these in the minority.

Well no, I agree that the results of this "survey" mean nothing, but I figured that pretty much everyone was on agreement on that. I was more focused on your implication that there aren't lines on .12s or that there aren't (sport) crags out there with crowds of people who climb .12s. There are plenty of 12 years olds and 1-year gym n00bs climbing .12 sport these days. In fact I think on average you'll find more crowds at a 5.12 sport crag than a solid 5.10 traditional crag.

rangerrob

Mar 15, 2011, 9:50 PM
Post #53 of 144 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Might I make a suggestion here and say that the ability to lead a "5.12" in a gym has little to nothing to do with being able to lead one outside, either on bolts or on gear. Take the indoors portion of this poll away, it means nothing.

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 15, 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #54 of 144 (2087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Might I make a suggestion here and say that the ability to lead a "5.12" in a gym has little to nothing to do with being able to lead one outside, either on bolts or on gear. Take the indoors portion of this poll away, it means nothing.

I believe that was a requirement to allow the OP to play along in the survey.

http://www.mountainproject.com/..._quesitons/107067075

dan2see

Mar 15, 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #55 of 144 (2082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dscow1980] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No.

jbro_135

Mar 15, 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #56 of 144 (2080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:

you can't lead 5.12 on bolts or gear, so how would you know?

guangzhou

Mar 16, 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #57 of 144 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:

Well no, I agree that the results of this "survey" mean nothing, but I figured that pretty much everyone was on agreement on that. I was more focused on your implication that there aren't lines on .12s or that there aren't (sport) crags out there with crowds of people who climb .12s. There are plenty of 12 years olds and 1-year gym n00bs climbing .12 sport these days. In fact I think on average you'll find more crowds at a 5.12 sport crag than a solid 5.10 traditional crag.

Very true, your comparison of trad versus sport that is.

boadman

Mar 16, 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #58 of 144 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dscow1980 wrote:
So for my stats class I taking a survey to determine the percentage of climbers, who have been climbing for more than 2 years, that have lead (trad or sport) a 5.12 (indoors or outdoors). If you dont mind answering these 4 questions I would greatly appricate it. It should only take a minute. I need 100 replies to do my project.

Thanks.

Question One. Do you lead climb? (trad or sport)

Question Two. Have you been lead climbing for more than two years?

Question Three. Have you ever lead a 5.12? (indoor or gym)

Question Four. What is the hardest route you have ever lead?

Thanks again for your help, I think it will be interesting to see how many people have been lead climbing for more than two years that have ever lead a 5.12.

Yes: Trad & Sport
Yes:
Yes: indoor & outside, trad and sport
The hardest route I've ever sent was probably Propaganda at Little Si, which is only 12c but took me forever. But then, there was this off-width I did in the creek with a friend called Big Boy or something that was only 5.11 that totally destroyed me. Oh yeah, TMPV at Index felt really hard for me, both mentally and physically. I've onsighted 12+ in Colonotsorado though.

dscow1980

Mar 16, 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #59 of 144 (2048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaizen] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed...... I may have to come up with a better survey... This survey is was simply serving the purpose of establishing a null hypothesis. For the real survey I will have to obviously figure out a different technique as I totally agree, most people who have not climbed a 5.12 would be hesitant to say so for reasons of pride. Anyways, thanks for the interesting conversations and particapting in this survey.

Sir_Edmund_Hilarious

Mar 16, 2011, 1:48 AM
Post #60 of 144 (2034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes
Yes
Yes
13d

jt512

Mar 16, 2011, 1:53 AM
Post #61 of 144 (2030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dscow1980 wrote:
Agreed...... I may have to come up with a better survey... This survey is was simply serving the purpose of establishing a null hypothesis.

Establishing a null hypothesis? Huh?

Jay

Partner cracklover

Mar 16, 2011, 2:43 PM
Post #62 of 144 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dscow1980 wrote:
Agreed...... I may have to come up with a better survey... This survey is was simply serving the purpose of establishing a null hypothesis. For the real survey I will have to obviously figure out a different technique as I totally agree, most people who have not climbed a 5.12 would be hesitant to say so for reasons of pride. Anyways, thanks for the interesting conversations and particapting in this survey.

Jesus, it's not rocket science. An unbiased survey looks like this:

1 - For how many years have you been climbing?
2 - Do you lead climb?
3 - What is your hardest send?

Then add some language about the constraints of the survey (inside and/or outside, trad and/or sport). Only this time take the 30 seconds to proof-read your post so it doesn't say indoor or gym.

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 16, 2011, 2:50 PM
Post #63 of 144 (1976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
csproul wrote:
shoo wrote:

. . .

. . .

. . .

Yesterday I'm pretty sure I saw Alex Honnold taking some n00bs on a popular 5.6 in Eldo. I had a new leader I was going to put on it, so I moved on to another one.

Even if it wasn't Alex H (though he looked and sounded like him) - I climb 5.12, and I was doing exactly what you say 5.12 climbers don't. Well, okay, I only had one n00b in tow, not 3, but yor still rong. On both counts. Based on 2 people in 1 day.

GTongue

csproul

Mar 16, 2011, 2:55 PM
Post #64 of 144 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
dscow1980 wrote:

Jesus, it's not rocket science. An unbiased survey looks like this:

1 - For how many years have you been climbing?
2 - Do you lead climb?
3 - What is your hardest send?

Then add some language about the constraints of the survey (inside and/or outside, trad and/or sport). Only this time take the 30 seconds to proof-read your post so it doesn't say indoor or gym.

GO
Still not unbiased on a public forum. I'd bet that you'd still have people more likely to post if they climb a higher grade. People who climb a lower grade would be less likely to publicly announce it.

dscow1980

Mar 16, 2011, 2:55 PM
Post #65 of 144 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by dscow1980 [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner camhead

Mar 16, 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #66 of 144 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dscow1980 wrote:
Seriously, who are you people who feel like you are in a position to judge weather or not this is a good survey? Are you my instructor? Or perhaps you are in a position to give me UNWANTED advise? The fact is neither is true. PLEASE keep your opinions to yourself. I DONT CARE IF YOU LIKE THE SURVEY OR IF IT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE BETTER. If you would like to answer the survey then I appricate it but if you only came on here to critisize my survey to make yourself feel important then move on. I am a student, a veteran, and a fellow climber and certainly deserve more respect than I have been shown on here.

I didn't watch my best friends die face down in the mud in 'Nam just so you motherfuckers could diss my climbing poll!

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 16, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #67 of 144 (1959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dscow1980 wrote:
Seriously, who are you people who feel like you are in a position to judge weather or not this is a good survey? Are you my instructor? Or perhaps you are in a position to give me UNWANTED advise? The fact is neither is true. PLEASE keep your opinions to yourself. I DONT CARE IF YOU LIKE THE SURVEY OR IF IT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE BETTER. If you would like to answer the survey then I appricate it but if you only came on here to critisize my survey to make yourself feel important then move on. I am a student, a veteran, and a fellow climber and certainly deserve more respect than I have been shown on here.

Awesome. Right down to the spelling, the all caps sections, and pointing out that you're a veteran. Thank you, that made my morning.

yodadave

Mar 16, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #68 of 144 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes
yes
yes
12a (13 indoors but noone actually counts that)

also please don't equate your deserving respect with what jobs you have had. Try equating respect with being a human being. We all deserve respect.

ClimbSoHigh

Mar 16, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #69 of 144 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. yup
2. uh huh
3. barely
4. 5.12a

(boltering climbs and soft 12's like Ro Sham Po) Trad... 1 short 5.8 and a 5.6, all others 5.4 and under.

Partner camhead

Mar 16, 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #70 of 144 (1927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:
yes
yes
yes
12a (13 indoors but noone actually counts that)

also please don't equate your deserving respect with what jobs you have had. Try equating respect with being a human being. We all deserve respect.

Seriously, I know that other people have kind of dismissed gym climbing in here, but in my own experience, gym climbing is HARD. A 13 in a gym is proud, and I would even say that it would be easier for a 13 gym climber to move into the same grade sport outside, than the other way around.

yodadave

Mar 16, 2011, 4:01 PM
Post #71 of 144 (1923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Have you climbed a 5.12 on Lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the beautiful art of sarcasm.

camhead that is hilarious, thanks for brightening my day

Partner camhead

Mar 16, 2011, 4:05 PM
Post #72 of 144 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yodadave wrote:

I'm actually serious here. 13s, hell, 12s in any gym that I've been to , are hard.

Partner cracklover

Mar 16, 2011, 4:13 PM
Post #73 of 144 (1915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
yodadave wrote:

I'm actually serious here. 13s, hell, 12s in any gym that I've been to , are hard.

Channeling Angry now, are we? Hahahaha! This should be fun...

GO

dscow1980

Mar 16, 2011, 4:31 PM
Post #74 of 144 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree actually. I think that a 12 in a gym is really hard. I don't want you all to get the wrong idea here, I prefer to climb outdoors. I climbed outdoors for 3 years before I ever tried the gym. In my limited experience the time I spent in the gym in the off season has made me a much stronger climber outdoors. It also provided a platform for me to practice sport lead climbing to where I could get comfortable enough with it to try it outdoors. That has been my experience anyways.

The purpose of this survey as I have mentioned is for a stats class but the reason I choose this topic is because I wanted to see where my progress was comparatively with other climbers who have been climbing about as long as I have. Last summer I lead a 5.11 sport outdoors and have lead one 5.12 in the gym. According to this survey most people are climbing 5.12's. That is surprising to me.

gmggg

Mar 16, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #75 of 144 (1895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dscow1980 wrote:
I agree actually. I think that a 12 in a gym is really hard. I don't want you all to get the wrong idea here, I prefer to climb outdoors. I climbed outdoors for 3 years before I ever tried the gym. In my limited experience the time I spent in the gym in the off season has made me a much stronger climber outdoors. It also provided a platform for me to practice sport lead climbing to where I could get comfortable enough with it to try it outdoors. That has been my experience anyways.

The purpose of this survey as I have mentioned is for a stats class but the reason I choose this topic is because I wanted to see where my progress was comparatively with other climbers who have been climbing about as long as I have. Last summer I lead a 5.11 sport outdoors and have lead one 5.12 in the gym. According to this survey most people are climbing 5.12's. That is surprising to me.

Man, pride is a funny thing. Do you realize the contradictions in your first paragraph?

And for your survey...

yes
yes
yes
12a

Also the bolded sentence above is surprising to me. You need to get a private tutor, maybe someone from this thread would have volunteered before you started acting like a jackass.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook