Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

johnwesely

Mar 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #1 of 73 (9138 views)
Shortcut

Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just spent a week at the Red River Gorge, and I noticed that almost all of the climbers there act like children and throw temper tantrums when every they fall. I am not talking about a slight groan or under the breath swear but an over the top cluster cuss of foul language and whining at quite a volume. Why are sport climbers so easily upset?

edge

Mar 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
Post #2 of 73 (9117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
I just spent a week at the Red River Gorge, and I noticed that almost all of the climbers there act like children and throw temper tantrums when every they fall. I am not talking about a slight groan or under the breath swear but an over the top cluster cuss of foul language and whining at quite a volume. Why are sport climbers so easily upset?

Sounds like this forum.

kachoong

Mar 21, 2011, 12:56 PM
Post #3 of 73 (9102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm amazed you heard anything with Camhead's drenching spray hosing the walls down this week.

lena_chita

Mar 21, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #4 of 73 (9088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
I'm amazed you heard anything with Camhead's drenching spray hosing the walls down this week.

Oh, no, you are mistaken. It was Angry who contributed most to the tsunami of spray. (To be fair, he had something worth spraying about after sending a project on a 'rest day').

But anyway, back to the original question, I honestly don't think that most of those people who act like a tantrum are doing it in all seriousness. IMO most of them are play-acting it in good fun.

I've only seen a couple of REAL wobblers over years worth of climbing. Not that most people aren't disappointed by a failed send attempt, but only a few really do punch the rock and curse everyone's head off in all seriousness.

rtwilli4

Mar 21, 2011, 1:21 PM
Post #5 of 73 (9070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All climbers and different.

FWIW, every time I go to the Red I notice that there is a certain hierarchy going on at Miguel's. There are always a lot of strong climbers around, so to fit in people feel like they need to climb hard.

If someone falls off a climb, and then curses and screams things like "I can't believe I fell there" or "It's so easy I just screwed it up" they feel better about the way people view them. It makes them feel OK about being on the route... like they belong.

Someone who doesn't get upset could be viewed as someone who really has no business on such a hard route. They might just be a gumby that is happy to have gotten to the third bolt. But if you get upset because you fell... well then you're obviously not a gumby, but a serious climber that is just one more burn away from sending.

johnwesely

Mar 21, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #6 of 73 (9018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
But anyway, back to the original question, I honestly don't think that most of those people who act like a tantrum are doing it in all seriousness. IMO most of them are play-acting it in good fun.

They were all excellent actors then.

sidepull

Mar 21, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #7 of 73 (9012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

You just don't hear trad climbers doing this because they are back country and the only people that can hear their screams of frustration when they fall are the coyotes and vultures circling over head, waiting for the compound fracture to incapacitate them ... er, I mean trad guys just aren't as competitive so they don't yell. I never hear yelling at Indian Creek, never.

johnwesely

Mar 21, 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #8 of 73 (9002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

You just don't hear trad climbers doing this because they are back country and the only people that can hear their screams of frustration when they fall are the coyotes and vultures circling over head, waiting for the compound fracture to incapacitate them ... er, I mean trad guys just aren't as competitive so they don't yell. I never hear yelling at Indian Creek, never.

Trad climbers don't try hard enough to fall.

chadnsc

Mar 21, 2011, 2:26 PM
Post #9 of 73 (8986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sidepull wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

Or when we do we just wee ourselves instead of yelling. Laugh

lena_chita

Mar 21, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #10 of 73 (8982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

I wasn't there to see what you saw. Tongue Where did you see the tantrums?

Next time we'll have to observe together and then compare notes on fake vs. real.

spikeddem

Mar 21, 2011, 2:45 PM
Post #11 of 73 (8959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cuz they had to be around you. Thought that was obvious.

:)

olderic

Mar 21, 2011, 2:45 PM
Post #12 of 73 (8957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just be glad you aren't being charged an entertainment fee. The best wobblers are performed when the actor is wearing a sport bra - complete dedication to "look at me look at me. me me me"

kachoong

Mar 21, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #13 of 73 (8942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Worse, I reckon, are the pouters. They sit there afterward and moan about it and give excuses. Get over it!

granite_grrl

Mar 21, 2011, 3:11 PM
Post #14 of 73 (8916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Worse, I reckon, are the pouters. They sit there afterward and moan about it and give excuses. Get over it!
This is a good point.

I think people will tend to pout more coming off a failed trad climb than a sport climb though. Nothing worse than someone pouting over their missed 5.7 onsight.

Partner epoch

Mar 21, 2011, 3:16 PM
Post #15 of 73 (8909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sidepull wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

I was thinking of snagging your reply for a sig quote, but I don't want to further inflate your ego so I chose to keep my current one.

johnwesely

Mar 21, 2011, 3:49 PM
Post #16 of 73 (8859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

I wasn't there to see what you saw. Tongue Where did you see the tantrums?

Next time we'll have to observe together and then compare notes on fake vs. real.

I observed these incidents at Military Wall, Left Flank, Drive-By, North 40, and others.

johnwesely

Mar 21, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #17 of 73 (8857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sidepull wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

I was thinking of snagging your reply for a sig quote, but I don't want to further inflate your ego so I chose to keep my current one.

I am flattered but in a non ego enlarging manner.

lena_chita

Mar 21, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #18 of 73 (8842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

Well, since I haven't seen any tantrums all weekend, you are just trying to make a round-about compliment and tell me that i have a very calming effect on tantruming toddlers in general, and sport climbers in particular, is that it?

Or were you responding to someone else?

special_blend

Mar 21, 2011, 4:08 PM
Post #19 of 73 (8841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's one route that's been pissing me off a lot and it's the same move at the crux that makes me fail every time, just can't get it. So everytime I fall I'll say "FUCK" or something. It's frustrating, we all get frustrated and that's okay. I'll get back on the route and try it a few more times but eventually just give up for the day then come back to it next week.

A bad attitude would be just giving up after the first time I failed. Foul language alone is not a bad attitude and actions speak louder than words.

If they throw a fit then get back on the rock then that to me is not a bad attitude.

(This post was edited by special_blend on Mar 21, 2011, 4:11 PM)

johnwesely

Mar 21, 2011, 4:18 PM
Post #20 of 73 (8813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [special_blend] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

special_blend wrote:

If they throw a fit then get back on the rock then that to me is not a bad attitude.

I disagree.

spikeddem

Mar 21, 2011, 4:19 PM
Post #21 of 73 (8810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Well, since I haven't seen any tantrums all weekend, you are just trying to make a round-about compliment and tell me that i have a very calming effect on tantruming toddlers in general, and sport climbers in particular, is that it?

Or were you responding to someone else?
Oops, thought I clicked JW's post to respond to. My bad.

taydude

Mar 21, 2011, 4:23 PM
Post #22 of 73 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it comes down to people show boating. I have been known to sport climb and don't freak out too much. The only times I've sworn coming off a route was when I felt like I was going to finish near the end of the route but my hand popped off unexpectedly or I got short roped and pulled off. Generally I'd never make a scene though. One or two four letter words and I'm resting for the next burn.

Partner cracklover

Mar 21, 2011, 4:24 PM
Post #23 of 73 (8796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
kachoong wrote:
This is a good point.

I think people will tend to pout more coming off a failed trad climb than a sport climb though. Nothing worse than someone pouting over their missed 5.7 onsight.

Actually, all of the worst pouts (and tantrums) I've seen have been gym or sport-climbing related.

Frankly, I think you don't see such behavior in failed trad sends because the trad climb has so much more that's involved. So one tends to think "hmm... I guess I wasn't good enough this time. I wonder what I need to do differently? Maybe if I..."

As opposed to the sport or gym climb where the climber tends to think "Dammit, I *should* have gotten that! I really thought I was good enough! Maybe I'm totally wrong and I suck?"

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Mar 21, 2011, 4:26 PM)

Just_Climbing

Mar 21, 2011, 4:26 PM
Post #24 of 73 (8790 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems to me the more you put into a climb, the greater the disappointment from failure will be. If you are embarrassed with the failure and "throw a tantrum", you may find it more to your advantage to turn the energy of that tantrum into determination and send it.

sp115

Mar 21, 2011, 4:41 PM
Post #25 of 73 (8765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Just_Climbing] Why do sport climbers have such bad attitudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just_Climbing wrote:
It seems to me the more you put into a climb, the greater the disappointment from failure will be. If you are embarrassed with the failure and "throw a tantrum", you may find it more to your advantage to turn the energy of that tantrum into determination and send it.

The things some people will trade their dignity for never ceases to amaze me.

(This post was edited by sp115 on Mar 21, 2011, 4:42 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook