Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
CCC Updates
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

forkliftdaddy

Feb 11, 2010, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 12 (13009 views)
Shortcut

CCC Updates  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anthony Love Receives the Bebie Leadership Award
Our secret is out. Our president, Anthony Love, has been recognized by the Access Fund as "America’s outstanding activist for the cause of preserving climbing access and the climbing environment." He was awarded their Bebie Leadership Award for his work on the acquisition of the Rumbling Bald West Side Boulders in North Carolina, the management of Laurel Knob, and our continued access to the privately owned Asheboro Boulders. Way to go, Anthony! No one could deserve this more than you.

Spring CCC Meeting Location
You know, I think the best way to reward Anthony is to come out for the spring CCC meeting and buy him a beer. This meeting is open to the public and will be held on February 27th at 6:00 PM in the La Strada Bar and Grill. That's the Italian place on the hill above Lake Lure. We've reserved their private dining room. They just ask that we buy food and drink from them. If it will make your ordering easier, I love their Sicilian Style pie. So bring your thirst for beer (wine, water, sweet tea, or knowledge) and hunger for pizza. Oh, and don't forget to dare the bartender to hit you with a bottle cap. Just cover your eyes and stand away from the other patrons. More details are available in the Events section of the CCC website.

Updated Map of CCC Boulders
Andi Cochran made a fantastic map of our tract of boulders at Rumbling Bald. She took GPS points on these boulders. So the map is about as accurate as we'll get. Andi works with Appalachian State's Geography and Planning Department, but did this on volunteer time. The CCC would truly be lost without volunteers. Thank you, Andi!

Please Consider Donating Today
The only way we could purchase that tract of boulders was by borrowing $72,000 from the Access Fund. We now have to repay that money. Please consider donating to the Save the Boulders Fund today. We also still have 2010 CCC Calendars available. They are beautiful and only $10 each!

Thank you for your support!

Scott Gilliam
Secretary
Carolina Climbers' Coalition

P.O. Box 3327
Raleigh, NC 27636-3327
http://carolinaclimbers.org

(This post was edited by forkliftdaddy on Mar 24, 2010, 8:41 PM)

forkliftdaddy

Mar 24, 2010, 8:44 PM
Post #2 of 12 (12902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [forkliftdaddy] CCC Updates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another CCC Update:

Last summer I enjoyed that unique pleasure called the OR. A July ascent was my friend Craig's crazy idea, but it wasn't completely crazy. We had nice temps and bit of cloud cover. So with a late start we enjoyed the shade for most of the ascent. See Craig he has climbed Whitesides ~15 times, all via the OR with the Traditions finish. He has the link-up wired and planned for us to storm the wall in under 4 hours. My partner and I, however, had never seen the face before. When we got the big view from below, it was apparent to us that we'd take longer than that. I don't have the time to tell my whole, wide-eyed tale now, but in Craig's defense, we didn't epic. We proved the spinners on the ladder would hold a whip or two and that the big dirt ledge on the Traditions finish is a soft enough place to take a grounder. But we also enjoyed our well-deserved round of Frosty's and our drive back to Asheville completely in daylight.

Whitesides Falcon Closure Changes
I bring this up because I was considering a repeat performance this summer. Sadly, that seems not meant to be. The CCC has received word from Chris Kelly, a biologist with the NC Wildlife Resources Commission, that this year peregrines have changed their nesting site. They've moved to the side of the cliff that is currently traditionally open to climbing. The closure boundaries at Whitesides are changing significantly. The side currently designated 'open' will become 'closed', and vice versa. Disturbing the birds will likely lengthen the closure. So please spread the word. For full details, see the CCC site: http://carolinaclimbers.org.

Dixie Rock Raises $370
The 21st Dixie Rock comp took place in Chapel Hill this past weekend. A raffle raised $245 for the Rumbling Bald boulders fund. Special thanks go out to Townsend and Bertram Outfitters and Fox Mountain Guides. In addition to the raffle funds we got 2 membership renewals and 2 new members, bringing our total for the weekend to $370. Congratulations to the winners and thanks to everyone for your support!

Stegg Slideshow in Georgia Tomorrow
High Country Outfitters of Georgia will be hosting a Shannon Stegg slideshow tomorrow, Thursday, March 25th, at 7:00 PM. Admission is free. So if you're in the North Buckhead neighborhood, please come out for Shannon's show, as well as some food, beer, and a raffle that will benefit the CCC. Please call 404-814-0999 for more info. And thanks so much to Shannon and Joey Wolfe of High Country Outfitters for supporting the CCC.

Double Your Rumbling Bald Donation!
Don't forget that thanks to our friends at the Rutherford Outdoor Coalition, now is the time to give to the Rumbling Bald Boulders Campaign! For the next two months they will match contributions made up to $3000. Thanks to the ROC, the folks that donated $245 at Dixie Rock magically added $490 in the fund! Please consider working your own wizardry today: http://carolinaclimbers.org.

Enjoy this weekend! The weather here is looking good again.

Sincerely,
Scott Gilliam
Secretary

Join the CCC or renew your membership: http://carolinaclimbers.org

Carolina Climbers Coalition
P.O. Box 3327
Raleigh, NC 27636-3327

forkliftdaddy

Apr 15, 2010, 9:39 PM
Post #3 of 12 (12811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

Today is the day. The taxman cometh and the taxman taketh away. If you haven't given Uncle Sam his cut already, you'd better round up that mound of paperwork and get to it. Hopefully, you haven't underestimated your patriotic contribution. Perhaps, you're getting a refund. If that's the case... Well, you know what's coming, don't you? First, however, let's run through a few reminders and updates:

Carolina Crush - Thank you to the people who stopped by the CCC table at the Triangle Rock Club's Carolina Crush last weekend. It is always nice to meet new folks and share our mission with them. And big thank you goes out to the TRC for the free exposure and continued support.

Red River Gorge Climbers’ Coalition Open Meeting - If you're at the Red this weekend, swing by Torrent Falls for the open RRGCC on Saturday at 7:30. If you don't own a watch, that'll be shortly after your arms explode.

Laurel Snow Adopt-a-Crag
- The SCC has two trail days coming up next weekend at Laurel-Snow State Par. See the SCC website for more details: http://www.seclimbers.org.

Break-Ins at Looking Glass - Sounds like somebody rifled through a couple of vehicles at the Glass last week. The culprits just rummaged through the readily accessible. So if you head there this weekend -- temps look great for it! -- remember: keep an eye out for anything suspicious, lock your car, don't leave valuables in sight or, preferably, in your car at all, and definitely get on Dinkus Dog. Man, I never new that eyebrows could be so incut. And be sure to swing by Looking Glass Outfitters. Phil and Jessica rock.

The Rumbling Bald Boulder Fund Needs Your Tax Refund - I dated a gal who was one hell of a fundraiser. Joanna could wring fat checks from even the tight-fisted types. In part, I attributed her superpower to her New Jersey roots. She, like many northerners, had a refreshingly direct way about her. She'd call up her contacts and tell them what she needed them. More times than not, they'd send a check. So, with Joanna's approach in mind, here goes. If you're getting a refund this year, we need you to donate to the CCC any portion you can afford. We need about $64,500 more to pay for the Rumbling Bald boulders. $500, $50, or even $5 will make a difference. Donate online today: http://www.carolinaclimbers.org.

Please Join Today - If you are not yet a member of the CCC, please join today. Your membership dollars will help us preserve, protect and expend your climbing opportunities.

Okay, I opened this message with a bastardized, mash-up of a Eugene O'Neill and the book of Job. There exist a few strikingly similar (and depressing) themes in those works, but let's end on a bright note. In the Iceman Cometh, one of O'Neill's down-and-out dirtbags says, "It's a great game, the pursuit of happiness." He doesn't mean it. But I do. It seems to me that our chasing of joy, our striving for perfection, our work at living in the moment are an integral part of being human. (Perhaps that's why Jefferson deemed it "an unalienable right.") This weekend's forecast looks good. Sunny and crisp, great for sending or for trying damn hard. And, as best I can tell, that's the pursuit.

Sincerely,
Scott Gilliam
Secretary

Join the CCC or renew your membership

P.O. Box 3327
Raleigh, NC 27636-3327

johnwesely

Apr 15, 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #4 of 12 (12771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Bump.

forkliftdaddy

May 18, 2010, 3:27 PM
Post #5 of 12 (12606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On Wednesday, May 26th there will be a public planning workshop for Chimney Rock State Park. The workshop will take place at the Municipal Meeting Hall in Lake Lure, NC. Open to the public, the meeting will open from 10 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Any climber that can should drop by sometime during those hours to learn about the State Park Master Plan, meet with State Park staff and the plan consultant, and, most importantly, give input on future park development.
The state of North Carolina has commissioned Greenways Inc. to aid in the process. More info is available on their website: http://www.greenways.com/chimneyrock.html

Workshop Details
Date: Wednesday, May 26th
Time: 10 AM to 7 PM (drop-in style)

Oh, and the Municipal Hall is next to the Marina and the Visitor Center, just south of Boys Camp Rd on NC Highway 9.

Please come out and let your voice be heard. There is a lifetime's worth of quality rock in the park.

Sincerely,
Scott Gilliam
Secretary

Join the CCC or renew your membership:

P.O. Box 3327
Raleigh, NC 27636-3327

forkliftdaddy

Jun 10, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #6 of 12 (12513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Latest and greatest!

NEW CCC STORE
Our marvelous Web Guru, Brian, added a Cafe Press store to the CCC site. Buy the CCC hoodie, trucker hat and coffee mug you've been hankering for. Seriously, though, buying a CCC travel mug is an easy way to support the CCC, and profits from these sales go directly into the protection and expansion of climbing access in the Carolina's. You can get to the store from the CCC site, but here's a direct link.
- http://www.cafepress.com/carolinaclimber

CRSP MASTER PLAN DEADLINE
Next up is an important RE: Chimney Rock. The deadline for giving feedback on the Chimney Rock State Park master plan is June 23, 2010. If you haven't had a look at the planning documents, please do. Then give the folks at Greenways, Inc. an earful of your opinions.
- http://www.greenways.com/chimneyrock.html

SEASONAL CLOSURE LIFTED AT SHORTOFF
All of the climbing routes on Shortoff are now open. The US Forest Service has lifted the seasonal closure for peregrine falcon nesting. Closures remain in effect at Looking Glass, Whitesides, Big Lost cove and the NC Wall.

IMPORTANT ACCESS FUND NEWS
We've got two important news items RE: the Access Fund

AF and RRGCC Make Financial Love -- That's not my choice of words, folks. I gotta give credit where credit is due. That's the way the Red River Gorge Climbers' Coalition put it. As a part of the Land Conservation Campaign the Access Fund is providing the RRGCC with short-term financing to pay off the current seller-financed loan on the Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve in Kentucky’s Red River Gorge. This will save KY climbers about $10,000 in interest! Read more at the RRGCC site.
- http://rrgcc.org/

AF Guidebook Store -- The Access Fund has just started selling guidebooks through their website. If you're headed to Indian Creek, Colorado, New Mexico or Washington, you might get the guidebook you need from the AF. Just be sure to tell them that your dollars come from the Carolina's. Info on the guidebook store as well as the "KY refi" can be found on the AF site.
- http://www.accessfund.org

EVENTS CALENDAR
Events really tie our climbing communities together. So come out and get tied in with what's going on around you.

LGO Slideshow Nets CCC $150 -- A couple of weeks back Looking Glass Outfitters hosted a slide show by Ed Maggart. A fun crew of people came out for fresh cookies, cold beverages, and to hear of Ed's travels across Bhutan, Mongolia, Nepal & Tibet during his fall sabbatical. Thanks to LGO for hosting the event and to all those who came out. Your $150 go straight into protecting climbing in the Carolina's!
- http://www.lookingglassoutfitters.com/

Last week I mentioned two upcoming events. Here are those reminders.

Wrangle in the Triangle -- On the 19th, swing by the Triangle Rock Club for the Wrangle AND to get more info on the Chimney Rock planning. I'll be there with handouts, maps and more.
- http://www.trianglerockclub.com/events_calendar.html

Rock Town Trail Day -- If you're going to be in GA on the 19th, the SCC is holding a trail day at Rock Town. Check for all the details on the SCC site.
- http://seclimbers.org/

RUMBLING BALD FUND
The ticker didn't move much from last week to this week. If you haven't given to the fund, we still need your help. We have $56,336 left to raise. Please consider contributing today.

Whew, that was quite the laundry list of items. Have a good weekend. Try hard. Send hard.

Sincerely,
Scott Gilliam
Secretary

P.O. Box 3327
Raleigh, NC 27636-3327

forkliftdaddy

Apr 7, 2011, 4:43 PM
Post #7 of 12 (11905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reposting of latest CCC Update:

Hey, no goofing around this week. Well, at least not initially. We gotta get down to business because these first items need your attention.

CCC AND NC STATE PARKS DISCUSS CHIMNEY ROCK STATE PARK
On Tuesday, Anthony, Zachary, Phil Hoffman and Sean Cobourn had a productive meeting with folks from NC State Parks about the future of climbing in Chimney Rock State Park. Anthony will be publishing an article about the meeting on the CCC site, but for now I've plagiarized his work below in a rundown of the highlights.

First, the most important impression these boys received from the meeting is that the Park wants to work with us and wants to see climbing to continue in Chimney Rock State Park.

Second, the Chimney Rock State Park Master Plan will be released in early May. While the Park staff did not give exact details, they admitted that multiple restrictions relating to climbing were unreasonable and would be reworked. Also, the Master Plan will call for the development of a Climbing Management Plan specific to Chimney Rock State Park. They assured us that the CCC will be instrumental in helping them to craft this plan.

Third, Ghost Town was discussed extensively. The Park folks admitted that recent incidents there were handled poorly. The closure at Ghost Town remains in effect, but the confiscation of gear is not a policy they intend to pursue or enforce. And although this area is not currently a designated climbing, there is a possibility of changing that status. Specifically, Ghost Town or any other climbing area brought forth for consideration must meet the following requirements:

1. The climbing area must reside on park property.
2. Access to the climbing area must reside on park property OR be on property under a cooperative agreement with the park any organization owning and managing access.
3. Climbing impacts must be deemed not adverse and acceptable to natural resources present at site.

This gives us hope for Ghost Town, and the CCC will begin moving forward on this front. To start with, the Park would like to have a better sense of the vegetation present at Ghost Town as well as a better understanding of climbing impacts. Given the current budgetary restraints we will fund a cliff survey for the area.

Lastly, the Park folks made it clear that being a good neighbor to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock Village is a major priority for them, and our activities in the park can sometimes adversely affect that relationship. That said, however, the Park sees a relationship with us as an absolute necessity moving forward, and they seem to be willing to do what they can (within the limits of their mandates) to see that happen.

We have many opportunities to succeed with Chimney Rock State Park. Some successes will be incremental: trail work, signage, and the mitigation of any challenges we cause for the Park and surrounding communities. But some successes, such as Ghost Town, will hopefully be bigger. And while situations such as Ghost Town will not be fixed immediately, the Park's willingness to explore possibilities presents a large and positive step in the right direction.

NC STATE PARKS FUNDING IN DANGER
Another thing that became apparent in the meeting with the folks from Chimney Rock State Park was that the future of the State Parks system is in danger. NC legislators are currently putting intense pressure on the parks by cutting their funding. And there is a plan afoot to merge the parks system with NC Wildlife. These bill will cripple the NC State Parks ability to purchase land. We need to advocate on behalf of the Parks System. Please write your legislators and tell them that you do not approve:
- http://carolinaclimbers.org/nc-state-parks-fund-danger.html

RUMBLING BALD TEES FOR THE LADIES
Last week, after the mailing it occurred to me that some of the ladies out there might not realize that we have Rumbling Bald shirts cut just for them. Ladies, check 'em out. You know you need a sexy Friksn tee, too:
- http://carolinaclimbers.org/friksn-rumbling-bald-shirt.html

BRIAN TAKES ON DINKUS DOG AND... OUCH
So last week I advocated for folks to go get on Dinkus Dog at Looking Glass. Well, as it turned out, Brian Payst, master of all CCC things web related, went out and got on it. He got past the second crux and slipped off. What should have been a relatively tame lead fall turned into a nasty sprained ankle. Brian doesn't blame me at all -- he already had his eyes on that route before last week's mailing -- but I've talked that route up enough that I feel a bit bad. Heal up, Brian.

And, the rest of you, be careful out there this weekend.

Sincerely,
Scott Gilliam
Secretary

forkliftdaddy

Apr 13, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #8 of 12 (11810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So do you remember a few months ago when I sent an update from an ambulatory surgical center in Durham, when my buddy was getting his collarbone put back together? Well, today's messagewas drafted in the lobby of Duke Urgent Care in Raleigh. But before I tell the tale of woe that got me there, check out these news items:

NORTH END OPEN
First, the North End at Moore's is now open. The peregrines didn't show up this year and the park lifted the closure late last week. The folks at NC State Parks send their thanks for our cooperation. If you live in the piedmont, it's time to go get your pump on!

CCC STATEMENT RE: CRSP MEETING
Second, Anthony and Phil got together that statement about their meeting with NC State Parks about climbing in Chimney Rock State Park. Please take the time to read what our guys have to say about both the meeting and our plans for the future.

DIXIE ROCK 22
The 22nd annual Dixie Rock climbing competition is this weekend at the Chapel Hill Community Center. Dixie Rock is the longest-running climbing comp in the country. Brian Payst and I plan to be there to represent the CCC. If you want to talk about CRSP or want to see the a Rumbling Bald t-shirt, please swing by. And if you're competing, I hope you flash my route, but just barely.

FAMILIARITY BREEDS... SWOLLEN FEET?
As a route setter I've grown pretty comfortable monkeying around on a ladder. And frequently I’ll do things that seem dangerous. I'll stand on the top of the stepladder and then boulder off of and above that same ladder to try out the sequence I just set. I'll stem off an extension ladder to the wall so I don't have to come down and move stuff around. And my favorite trick is to bunny hop the stepladder. Yes, this is all kinda-sorta-maybe pure stupidity, and I know it. I do it because it is fast. And I can get away with it because on my home turf I have a good feel for what will or won't work.

Well, on Sunday night, I was setting at a different gym, one with a slippery, wooden floor. My toes were just under 15 feet off the ground when the bottom of the extension ladder I was on slid out behind me. I surfed the ladder to the ground and landed standing up, still on a rung. According to the doctor I just talked to today, I escaped with some deep bruising of the arches of my feet and an aggravated knee.

Familiarity breeds contempt? In my moment of nauseating clarity as I realized what was happening, I knew that familiarity had bred something far more dangerous, complacency, and that as a result I was having a very painful accident. Now there could be a metaphor here about climbing, and I bet you already figured it out.

If the rain holds off, be safe this weekend. Be focused and aware, not casual and complacent. Place good gear and choose your runouts wisely. If it rains, come visit Brian and me at Dixie Rock. I’ll be the one with my foot in the beer cooler. You know, I'm guessing they won't let me bring in beer. Dang it.

Sincerely,
Scott Gilliam
Secretary

P.O. Box 33227
Raleigh, NC 27636-3227

csproul

Apr 13, 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #9 of 12 (11785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe that was Brian's karmic payback for putting him on Dinkus DogWink and him getting a banged up ankle? Now you two will be matching!

yodadave

Apr 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #10 of 12 (11736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

because links are more fun when they click

forkliftdaddy wrote:
Reposting of latest CCC Update:

NC STATE PARKS FUNDING IN DANGER
Another thing that became apparent in the meeting with the folks from Chimney Rock State Park was that the future of the State Parks system is in danger. NC legislators are currently putting intense pressure on the parks by cutting their funding. And there is a plan afoot to merge the parks system with NC Wildlife. These bill will cripple the NC State Parks ability to purchase land. We need to advocate on behalf of the Parks System. Please write your legislators and tell them that you do not approve:
-http://carolinaclimbers.org/...rks-fund-danger.html

RUMBLING BALD TEES FOR THE LADIES
Last week, after the mailing it occurred to me that some of the ladies out there might not realize that we have Rumbling Bald shirts cut just for them. Ladies, check 'em out. You know you need a sexy Friksn tee, too:
- http://carolinaclimbers.org/...ling-bald-shirt.html

forkliftdaddy

Jun 9, 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #11 of 12 (11512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] CCC Updates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there,

Here is the big news from the CCC.

Buy Beer and Give the CCC Some Cashola

Yep, you read right. The Altamont Brewing Company is offering a rare opportunity. Drink beer and support the CCC. The Altamont folks are committed to supporting outdoor fun as well as those who advocate for outdoor fun. This month they've chosen us as their designated charity organization. So swing by any (or every) day in June and pick up a Beer-of-the-Day special. $1.00 from each sold will go to the CCC. And, dirtbags, don't worry your nappy little heads about the price. The Beer-of-the-Day is being sold at regular price. Go get yourself and your friends some beer, and help us repay the remaining $26,000 we owe on the best bouldering in the area.

The Altamont Brewing Company
1042 Haywood Road, Asheville, NC 28806
Mon - Thurs: 4:00 pm - 2:00 am
Fri - Sun: 12:00 pm - 2:00 am

Also, please consider dropping some funds in the Rumbling Bald West Side piggy bank today. As I mentioned earlier, we still owe about $26,000. I know it's not Rumbling season, but we still need to get this lot paid off. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Scott

Scott A. Gilliam
Secretary

P.O. Box 33227
Raleigh, NC 27636-3227

Remove yourself from these mailings

forkliftdaddy

Jul 8, 2011, 4:16 AM
Post #12 of 12 (11319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's hoping you had a great time this past weekend celebrating the Independence Day holiday. I trust you kept all your fingers intact. They are important for the rock scrambling.

I celebrated the 4th and the end of my independence up in the High Country. See, for the first time in more than a few years, I have a full time job. I started on Tuesday and it seems that four years of living off an ever-dwinding bank account has left me soft. This short work week has already been way more taxing than I expected. Fortunately I am excited about my job.

So anyway, on Saturday we sampled Little Wilson. Sunday, we got in a few pitches at Sunken Treasure before it rained. If you haven't picked up a copy of Grimbo's High Country Cragger, I think Little Wilson and Sunken Treasure are well worth the $15 price tag. In particular, I recommend you check out Let's Roll at Little Wilson. The first moves are a bit reachy for anyone under 5'5", but beyond that things get wild and exciting. Code 3 is also a blast (being mostly a steep jug haul) but Let's Roll was by far my favorite.

Almost All Peregrine Closures Lifted
First up, good news! The Forest Service has lifted the closures on Whiteside, Looking Glass, Victory Wall, Shortoff, NC Wall and Big Lost Cove Cliff. The only Peregrine closure still in effect is for White Rock Cliff. Please note, there may still be Peregrines in some of these areas. The birds may fly or dive at climbers. You may need to keep an eye out for more than just thunderstorms if you visit one of these cliffs.

Beer is Tasty
I bet you knew that already, didn't you? Ben Wiggins and Gordon Kear from Altamont Brewery on Haywood Road in Asheville gave the CCC a for Rumbling Bald boulderfield fund in the amount of $428! A big thank you goes out to those guys and to all the folks that dropped by for beer. Thanks y'all!

Screamers Rock
So I carry a Screamer on my trad rack. Occasionally just the sight of it has unnerved partners. "Dude, is that a Screamer? Are you gonna take me out and get me killed?" Okay, it hasn't quite gone down like that, but close. The Screamer rarely gets deployed and has never been activated, but at 180+ lbs., I feel significantly better about clipping an old pin or an RP if I use a Screamer. Anyway, Corey LaForge of BD has checked into the effectiveness of Screamers. Check it out on their site.
- www.blackdiamondequ​ipment.com/en-gb/journal//​/>>>

Other Odds and Ends
Here are two more items to keep your Friday filled with vision of rock:

Nate Draughn, is kinda a goofball but definitely an all around good guy. I've known Nate since... well, since I used to take his lunch money at the Raleigh Rock Yard. Recently, he did a V14 in CO and DPM interviewed him. This is what hanging out at a rock gym does to teenagers. Nice job, Nate.
- www.dpmclimbing.com​/articles/view/interview-n​a>>>

When I went to Hueco this year I met Nick Duttle. He genuinely impressed my crew without sending a single problem. He warmed up by traversing and then reversing a problem we couldn't do, gave us some friendly beta, and tried something very difficult. After admitting that day wasn't the day, he gave a spot to this guy who was pretty much your classic good-looking jackass. With some good natured goading and the jackass sent. Anyway, it seems Nick is now crushing hard rigs all over. Awesome. Here's a video of Nick on Mikey's route Trebuchet at the NRG Cirque.
- www.dpmclimbing.com​/climbing-videos/watch/nic​k>>>

A Sad Reminder to Us All
That's pretty much it for this week, but before I let you go, take note. This past weekend a young man died in a climbing-related accident at Rumbling Bald. It seems he made a simple mistake and fell about 35 feet into some blocky talus. His resulting injuries proved fatal. Very sad. If you get out this weekend, have fun, but, please, stay on point and mind the details.

My thoughts and condolences go out to Josh's friends and family.

Sincerely,
Scott Gilliam
Secretary

P.O. Box 33227
Raleigh, NC 27636-3227

carolinaclimbers.or​g/

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username: