RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

philap

Apr 11, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #1 of 16 (11626 views)
Shortcut

too pumped to clip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My limiting factor currently seems to be not the climbing but more the clipping.

I often feel too pumped to clip, and since it's not like something you can afford to screw up normally I end up backing off.

As much as I can I try to find good stances or body positions to clip from, attempt to waist clip as an alternative when possible and so on. On harder routes though, often the positions are just demanding to let go and clip from.

I think I could improve by making my clipping even faster, I am slower when the gate is not on my thumb side.

I think the increased hand strength required to just dangle off one arm, is maybe another issue. It's more my hand peeling off, than a forearm issue or anything seems like.

meh any suggestions for this, it's really frustrating since it's not the climbing itself that's stopping me.

kobaz

Apr 11, 2011, 2:43 AM
Post #2 of 16 (11610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philap] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

philap wrote:
My limiting factor currently seems to be not the climbing but more the clipping.

I often feel too pumped to clip, and since it's not like something you can afford to screw up normally I end up backing off.

As much as I can I try to find good stances or body positions to clip from, attempt to waist clip as an alternative when possible and so on. On harder routes though, often the positions are just demanding to let go and clip from.

I think I could improve by making my clipping even faster, I am slower when the gate is not on my thumb side.

I think the increased hand strength required to just dangle off one arm, is maybe another issue. It's more my hand peeling off, than a forearm issue or anything seems like.

meh any suggestions for this, it's really frustrating since it's not the climbing itself that's stopping me.

It's more about endurance than hand strength. Strength will get you to pull harder moves, but endurance will help you keep doing the moves.

If your tendons are up for it, train endurance. I try to do the following workout at least once a week.

Find a spot on the wall at the gym that has a nice variety of holds for both hands and feet. Start a timer. I usually do sets of 10 minutes, but your mileage may vary depending on the types of holds you're using and your overall conditioning.

Do three separate sets of movements per set: Hold on with two hands on some relatively crappy holds just move your feet around, concentrate on good footwork and good balance. Next, switch to moving just your hands around keeping your feet planted on some holds. Try and find the best position that is the least strain for every hold you can reach. And then finally find a really terrible hold and hold on with one hand for how ever long you can stand it. Switch hands, use the same hold with the other hand.

Rinse and repeat.

There's tons of things to do to work on endurance, find something you like to do and do it. Lead laps below your limit... push yourself to failure. Take rest days to ensure proper recovery and muscle/tendon building.

If you're leading at your absolute limit, there's not much you can do to avoid the eventual pump -- you are climbing at your limit after all.

Kstenson

Apr 11, 2011, 3:26 AM
Post #3 of 16 (11589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed, when I first started leading clipping killed me as well.

You just have to attack it from two sides, your clipping technique and your endurance.

For technique climb easy (for you) routes and put yourself in awkward positions to build up your clipping technique and confidence. Best results will come from repetitive, drill like ascents.

For endurance the post above gives excellent advice, I found that finishing of a session by traversing till death gave really quick improvements.

lena_chita

Apr 11, 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #4 of 16 (11512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

philap wrote:

What you are describing is fairly typical for a new leader. As far as suggestions: practice.

Practice clipping with either hand, with the draw hanging with gate either facing you, or facing out.

Practice by traversing or climbing up/down and shaking out one hand, then another, switching hands on a hold, etc.

Practice climbing efficiently, so you are not over-gripping, expending your arm/finger strength. You need to develop better climbing technique in general, and that would go a long way towards finding a good body position to clip from.

shotwell

Apr 11, 2011, 1:06 PM
Post #5 of 16 (11485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of clipping tips that might help as well.

Learn to rest effectively. Relax, find two good holds, and shake. You really need to relax. I can almost guarantee you're over-gripping right now.

So if you're super pumped and ready to clip you can shake, hang your draw, and shake out your hand again. Since you haven't pulled the rope yet, you're still in a safe position. Make sure your partner knows not to throw you slack until you're pulling rope up. Stay relaxed, rest a tiny bit, then clip the draw.

Your biggest problem is probably that you're nervous above your last bolt. You just need to relax and realize you can fall. While I wouldn't want to be blowing clips, relaxing while you're on the way (and clipping) will make it far less likely that it will happen.

Partner jammer

Apr 11, 2011, 2:40 PM
Post #6 of 16 (11434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being pumped may also be the result of over gripping your holds as you climb. You don't state what kind of climbing you are finding yourself pumped on, so there is not much advice I can give besides trying to focus on how you use the strength you have. If you death grip your holds, you are pumped faster. I keep in mind that my holds are there to just hold my center of balance over my feet. Try noticing if you can use less hand strength to accomplish your climbs.

Nold

Apr 11, 2011, 3:27 PM
Post #7 of 16 (11404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get someone who leads often at your gym to show you how to clip. With the draw hanging in both directions. Find out what works best for you. hang a draw from the rear view mirror and clip a rope at stoplights/ traffic. Practice practice. You should be able to clip those bad boys with your eyes closed.

shotwell

Apr 11, 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #8 of 16 (11398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nold] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nold wrote:
Get someone who leads often at your gym to show you how to clip. With the draw hanging in both directions. Find out what works best for you. hang a draw from the rear view mirror and clip a rope at stoplights/ traffic. Practice practice. You should be able to clip those bad boys with your eyes closed.

Hopefully not in traffic! Laugh

ENARE

Apr 11, 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #9 of 16 (11328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
philap wrote:

It's more about endurance than hand strength. Strength will get you to pull harder moves, but endurance will help you keep doing the moves.

If your tendons are up for it, train endurance. I try to do the following workout at least once a week.

Find a spot on the wall at the gym that has a nice variety of holds for both hands and feet. Start a timer. I usually do sets of 10 minutes, but your mileage may vary depending on the types of holds you're using and your overall conditioning.

Do three separate sets of movements per set: Hold on with two hands on some relatively crappy holds just move your feet around, concentrate on good footwork and good balance. Next, switch to moving just your hands around keeping your feet planted on some holds. Try and find the best position that is the least strain for every hold you can reach. And then finally find a really terrible hold and hold on with one hand for how ever long you can stand it. Switch hands, use the same hold with the other hand.

Rinse and repeat.

There's tons of things to do to work on endurance, find something you like to do and do it. Lead laps below your limit... push yourself to failure. Take rest days to ensure proper recovery and muscle/tendon building.

If you're leading at your absolute limit, there's not much you can do to avoid the eventual pump -- you are climbing at your limit after all.

Great post. I have also been running into similar problems and have been considering the different ways I could train my endurance.

silascl

Apr 11, 2011, 6:47 PM
Post #10 of 16 (11300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you climbing in the gym or outdoors. You can do this either way, but it'll be more convenient in the gym.

Top rope the climb, and trail a rope and clip with it. See how solid clipping feels when there's no risk of blowing the clip and having a bad fall. I find that I overgrip and psyche myself out when at a clipping stance that is not really great, especially when it comes to open handed holds.

Partner j_ung

Apr 11, 2011, 7:27 PM
Post #11 of 16 (11271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [silascl] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't think there's any bad advice upthread, but here's something that will help you NOW, with no training. Let's say you're about to clip with your right hand. Grab a hold instead and shake the left for a bit. Get some gas back in there. Now grab a hold with your fresh left hand and clip with the right. That's saved my bacon a few times.

flint

Apr 11, 2011, 8:56 PM
Post #12 of 16 (11209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clip at your waist. probably a better position and holds available

Partner j_ung

Apr 11, 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #13 of 16 (11143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

flint wrote:

Mathematically speaking, that's a safer bet. But, there might not be decent holds available above the bolt. I think you should clip at the stance from which you're least likely to fall. Sometimes, that's below the bolt.

robx

Apr 18, 2011, 1:19 AM
Post #14 of 16 (10855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hang a qd in your car and practice in the car. I'm sure someone is going to say it's unsafe, and it is, but it's a hell of a lot easier to clip a few hundred times on your way to and from the gym than it is in the gym.

Diphthong

Apr 19, 2011, 8:30 PM
Post #15 of 16 (10690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] too pumped to clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

flint wrote:

Nonsense. As Jung says below, you clip from the best stance/hold; which anecdotally I find to be at the head level as much if not more than at the waist. And if the fall is clean, which it often is in Sport Climbing, it doesn't matter if you fall while clipping at your waist or above your head.

EuroFreeBase

Jun 11, 2011, 4:21 AM
Post #16 of 16 (10090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just do a dynamic clip! pull rope first and attach it to a draw. make a large dynamic move to the hanger and slip it. Stick it!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook