Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

kcrag

Oct 7, 2002, 4:53 PM
Post #51 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Do you like to lead? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Leading is a love/hate relationship. It definitely changes the rules of the game. Still learning to lead trad... and it's a thrill I wouldn't trade for anything!

[ This Message was edited by: kcrag on 2002-10-13 10:57 ]

yami

Oct 11, 2002, 4:03 PM
Post #52 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty new to climbing and so far really enjoy leading sport routes. My first lead was in Penitente, CO on "Ordinary People". Only two bolts so needless to say it was pretty runout. Although, at the time I didn't really realize the significance of the runout. Luckily I onsighted it. My biggest problem is preventing rope burns. So far I haven't had any really bad ones but just little guys that sting pretty bad for at least a week after. I've had six rope burns so far. I know to keep my legs and arms away from the rope and on the outside but it gets me almost everytime. Obviously, I'm not afraid of falling which may be part of my problem.

[ This Message was edited by: yami on 2002-10-11 09:14 ]

bighigaz

Oct 15, 2002, 8:05 PM
Post #53 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Erica, all I can say is, TAKE THE FALL! When I'm at a crux or making a hard clip, I just say it to my self over and over ("take the fall, chicken, what are you waiting for, FALL..." and so on), as if it doesn't matter or like I don't care (even though I may be lying). By some miracle I seem to make it through some of the time. And when I don't, I just take a quick glance at my feet... and let it fly. I think telling yourself you're willing to take the fall makes it a lot less intimidating... Hey, come climb the Lemmon some time, I'll show you around, and help you take some great falls!!
James.

[ This Message was edited by: bighigaz on 2002-10-15 13:07 ]

climberchic

Oct 16, 2002, 3:42 PM
Post #54 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahahaa...thanks James!

I know what I need to do and lilred is right. I just need to do it and then it won't be so bad. Thanks for the support!

~Erica

ecocliffchick

Oct 16, 2002, 4:06 PM
Post #55 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How do you fall and not get hurt? Most of the rock where I climb is vertical with quite a few large ledges, and I never want to "take the fall" because I don't want to whack myself into the rock or onto a ledge. Indoors, or on overhanging rock, I can see letting go and just falling, but when the terrain is vertical, there's no way I want to be falling.

Partner missedyno

Oct 17, 2002, 4:57 PM
Post #56 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fall and not get hurt? are there any gyms around you that offer lead courses? that's the best thing, instead of someone trying to describe....

don't be afraid of slack. if you don't have slack, then there is a chance that you could get yanked into the wall. that's happened to me before from a potentially crappy belayer.

anyway, my big announcement:

in rumney this weekend i did my first outdoor lead send! i don't really care about the send, redpoint, onsight bla bla bla terminology.... but nevermind how other people describe it, all i know is that i lead outdoors with confidence. i was happy.

i am happy. i'm proud.

rockwomyn

Oct 17, 2002, 8:51 PM
Post #57 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go Fawkes go....it's only up from here!!! We know you got the skills and the muscles, too!

ecocliffchick

Oct 18, 2002, 2:11 PM
Post #58 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately, there really isn't much in the way of leading indoors at the gym in Guelph. We pretty much boulder two thirds of the way up the walls, and the routes definately aren't set up for leading - too many very small and greasy holds, that wouldn't allow for clipping. I did lead at Planet Rock in Michigan last weekend, and felt fine. I guess it really depends on the terrain. If I'm outside and the rock is overhung and there are lots of bolts, without runouts, I've got no problem - it's these run out vertical things that scare the $h!t out of me - and well, in Ontario -that's what you get (except at White Bluff).

russmanswife

Oct 22, 2002, 8:14 PM
Post #59 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just started leading and i like it much better even though i have only done two easy 5.6 i want to try more. i really really want to try longer routes the ones i did were basically short three bolts and an anchor so i want to just test myself and see if i can go longer. guess now that i know i want to do it i have to fight with russ about who gets to lead what.

bobbi

Partner missedyno

Oct 22, 2002, 9:43 PM
Post #60 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ha ha, very cool.

damian has no problem leading and it's very easy for me to back down and say "yeah okay you lead this one" because i know the chances are he'll do it no problem and i'll sit and hum and haw. but usually once i get up there i surprise myself and do okay.

sroehlk

Dec 19, 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #61 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It took a little mental boost to make my first intentional lead fall (in the gym) - it's all mental for me. Since then I've had a few falls that shook me. Right now I've been climbing in my safety zone and keep pushing it a little more each day.

[ This Message was edited by: sroehlk on 2002-12-20 07:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sroehlk on 2002-12-20 11:51 ]

stellalpina

Dec 20, 2002, 5:53 PM
Post #62 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im pretty new to the sport, so ive only had one opportunity to lead. it my insanely limited experience, all i can say is that i want to do it more! (damn the snow ) i loved the sense of adventure, and having to figure the route out, instead of following someone elses chalk marks. some of you have said that classes mess with your head, so are they worth it? or is it better to learn as you go while climbing with friends?
-- elena

sroehlk

Dec 20, 2002, 8:04 PM
Post #63 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a friend who is an amazing lead climber and willing to teach you EVERYTHING you need to know - go for it. I'm lucky enough to work part time at a climbing gym with a great group of climbers. When I wanted to learn I just asked one of the guys who teaches lead lessons. Worked out pretty well for me

climber1

Dec 21, 2002, 2:47 AM
Post #64 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladies. just wanted to pass this on. I feel like leading makes one a better climber (at least for me) leading demands more concentration than following. to get comfortable leading, just go out and lead climbs that are 2 or 3 levels below what you tr or follow. just my .02 cents

squashed_spider

Dec 21, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #65 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i find that i climb better when i'm on the sharp end! i have to concentrate more and it makes my climbing better, but that's just me. i think it just depends on who you are.

rosemom3

Dec 21, 2002, 5:36 AM
Post #66 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just started leading a few months ago after all of my male climbing buddies kept pushing it. Now I know why, it's quite the rush. However, it has diminished my perception of my climbing performance on TR. Also my performance period, I'm less comfortable. I will say that I would like the opportunity to lead a bunch of 5.7 and 5.8, but there are so few around here that I'm leading 5.9 uncomfortably and french freeing my way through the cruxes on 5.10's. The thing I really like about leading (trad)is the extra mental challenge of placing gear. I love my tri-cams so much!!!!! And have developed this weird propensity for hand size cams. Has this happened to anyone else? Tracy Renee

figure08

Dec 24, 2002, 5:32 AM
Post #67 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like leading better than TRing. I've only done it a couple times, but I think I climb better when on lead because I have to focus more, and such a rush! I feel so awesome when I get to the top.

On the other hand, I don't really like bouldering (well, highballing) that much because I broke my foot a couple years ago doing it. I also get way more scared cleaning the same climb than leading it. Weird hu?

ecocliffchick

Dec 31, 2002, 2:14 AM
Post #68 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To those of you who regularly lead outdoors, do you find yourselves getting injured more now that you're leading and have you had any scary experiences?

ximiana

Dec 31, 2002, 6:54 AM
Post #69 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes i like but at the same time i have fear...much much fear, but is and incredible sensation.

swohletz

Jan 3, 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #70 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love leading...after my first lead I was hooked I especially love the mental aspect of it, fighting the fear and remaining calm in the midst of it....even enjoying it. The adrenaline is a huge plus as well

As for injuries, I haven't been leading for all so long but it seems to depend on the route what the potential for injury is--falling off an overhang could mean slamming hard into the rock vs a fall on a vertical wall which is pretty benign in my experience. I only lead climb with belayers I trust A LOT, which hopefully leads to prevention of injury. Lead climbing is higher risk (thus the extra adrenaline) which means more potential for injury. However, if I weigh my abilities wisely against the grade of a climb, leading a few points below my confident TR climbing level, and make sure I am climbing safely with a safe belayer, then my potential to get hurt will hopefully drop. As always in climbing, anything can happen.....climb on

swohletz

Jan 3, 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #71 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh side note....as for scary experiences....lead belaying with a grigri in the gym last weekend was about the scariest thing I've ever done....solidifying my tendency to only belay with an ATC. It was super sketchy.

rockrat17

Jan 3, 2003, 6:41 PM
Post #72 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

leading is fun....but scary. I like it, but
i've had my own share of scary falls etc.

pals

Jan 13, 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #73 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to lead.
Leading is Scary, yet fun.
I'm nearly fearless except on scree
I need to get more experience with it.
especially with doing on scree I go very slow but feel I can get much better with practice and confidence.
From what little leading I've done... I love it.
Not afraid of falling.

pals

ecocliffchick

Jan 13, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #74 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why were you afraid of lead belaying with a Gri gri? I find using the gri gri is a bit trickier the first day or two - but in the long run (especially if your partner is much heavier than you and working a route) it is so much easier and more reliable.

aimeerose

Feb 4, 2003, 4:38 AM
Post #75 of 80 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too love to lead, and I'm glad to see so many other women do too. I was feeling hopeless at the beginning of these posts! I usually hang the draws when my husband and I are out climbing. Of course, he'll hang them for me on my projects if I want him too. It is so much more rewarding to me to onsight something if I'm leading it or redpoint it on lead. It's all a matter of controlling your mind, especially with redpointing. I can have a route so wired and still screw up if I'm leading, so just keeping it together until the anchors is rewarding.

I also lead on gear. I just did Crimson Chrysallis a few weekends back and led the crux pitches. I was psyched!

I'm not looking forward to getting pregnant and not being able to lead for months. Leading is integral to climbing for me. It's nice to be self-sufficient too. I never have to rely on anyone else when I go climbing and I can take my less experienced friends out and set up climbs for them.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook