RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

brand002003

Apr 23, 2011, 4:51 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2830 views)
Shortcut

The Trip of a Lifetime... by myself?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, here is the deal. I'm graduating from school next month. I have no job awaiting me, no kids, and no reason to stay where I am. I have decided to hit the road for the next two months and climb as much as possible (boulder, trad, sport, whatever). I'm lucky that the job I have now has allowed me to save up funds for this trip.

I've got camping gear, a running car, a full trip rack and just about everything I need... except for a partner. So, being that I would prefer to climb with another person, where do you guys think I'd be able to meet other climbers on the road? I'm interested in finding places where it is easy to meet other climbers willing to share a rope with me. Any suggestions?

johnwesely

Apr 23, 2011, 5:07 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brand002003] The Trip of a Lifetime... by myself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Where are you right now?

sungam

Apr 23, 2011, 5:23 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brand002003 wrote:
So, here is the deal. I'm graduating from school next month. I have no job awaiting me, no kids, and no reason to stay where I am. I have decided to hit the road for the next two months and climb as much as possible (boulder, trad, sport, whatever). I'm lucky that the job I have now has allowed me to save up funds for this trip.

I've got camping gear, a running car, a full trip rack and just about everything I need... except for a partner. So, being that I would prefer to climb with another person, where do you guys think I'd be able to meet other climbers on the road? I'm interested in finding places where it is easy to meet other climbers willing to share a rope with me. Any suggestions?
You will most likely be able to meet people on the road if you stick to major climbing destinations. Hell, you might even meet someone who is on a similar trip but without a car and team up for a couple of weeks.

saymurphy

Apr 23, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountain Project
Fitness Singles
Rockclimbing.com
And checking the info board at the crag or the local crag's website, for example Squamishclimbing.com

I spent 18 months on the road. Never had a problem finding partners.

sungam

Apr 23, 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saymurphy] The Trip of a Lifetime... by myself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saymurphy wrote:
Mountain Project
Fitness Singles
Rockclimbing.com
And checking the info board at the crag or the local crag's website, for example Squamishclimbing.com

I spent 18 months on the road. Never had a problem finding partners.
Heh.

boadman

Apr 25, 2011, 4:00 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Easy places to find partners I've climbed solo:

Rumney (summer/fall/weekends)
Gunks (summer/fall/weekends)
New River Gorge (summersville lake, especially, summer/fall)
Red River Gorge (Miguels, spring/summer/fall)
Rifle (summer, early fall)
Sinks Canyon (spring/fall)
Vedawou (summer)
Indian Creek (Supercrack Buttress parking lot, spring/fall)
Jacks Canyon (spring/fall)
Joshua Tree (spring/fall)
Bishop (spring/fall)
Squamish (summer)

All of these places have peak seasons, during which partner hunting is easier. East coast crags seem to have less dirtbags on the circuit so it's harder during the weekdays. Sport climbing and bouldering is generally easier than trad climbing to find partners, but Squamish, Indian Creek, & Jtree are exceptions. I would guess that yosemite would be pretty easy too, but I've never been there.

slackercruster

Apr 25, 2011, 4:00 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it now...don't wait till your a cruster like me.

brand002003

Apr 26, 2011, 5:00 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome, guys. Thanks a lot for the responses. I'm definitely planning on hitting up the New, the Red, Yosemite, Squamish, maybe Zion, maybe Devils Tower, etc. etc. My list is extensive. I am totally stoked about this trip. Hell, I even got the OK from my boss to take the summer off and have my job be there for me when I get back. Any advice to a noob roadtripper?

satch

Apr 26, 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What level do you climb?

Have you considered Europe? It's easier to take shorter road trips in the US while working. Chamonix is easy to find partners at the campgrounds.

sungam

Apr 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brand002003 wrote:
Any advice to a noob roadtripper?
What type of car do you have?

Try to keep a fairly balanced diet. If you're just eating shit, consider vitimin tablets or something. You aint gunna send if you're nutrition is poor.

Try not too eat too much ramen.

Oatmeal can be bought in bulk some places and combined with brown sugar makes a damn fine breakfast.

When at a campsite, don't just hang with the climbers. There are some interesting people about, generally doing interesting things. Try some of them.

Do not hitch rides, or give rides, to people with scary eyebrows.

Be weary when climbing with new partners, always start on something uncommiting to gauge their abilities before getting on something serious.

Learn how to slackline and try a highline.

BE BEAR AWARE.

Mark your gear, and keep sharp track of it.

Check with people at a campsite if there are any animals you should be aware of. E.G. squirrels that will chew through your bag/tent and steal food, goats that will trash your tent to eat food etc.

Bring entertainment for shit weather days.

Uh... don't spray.

sandstoned

Apr 27, 2011, 2:25 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] The Trip of a Lifetime... by myself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
brand002003 wrote:

Try to keep a fairly balanced diet. If you're just eating shit, consider vitimin tablets or something. You aint gunna send if you're nutrition is poor.

Oatmeal can be bought in bulk some places and combined with brown sugar makes a damn fine breakfast.

When at a campsite, don't just hang with the climbers. There are some interesting people about, generally doing interesting things. Try some of them.

Be weary when climbing with new partners, always start on something uncommiting to gauge their abilities before getting on something serious.

BE BEAR AWARE.

Check with people at a campsite if there are any animals you should be aware of. E.G. squirrels that will chew through your bag/tent and steal food, goats that will trash your tent to eat food etc.

Uh... don't spray.

This is all sound advice, especially the eyebrows stuff. You can tell a lot about a man from his eyebrows.

I would add water. Really, I often underestimate the amount of water I will consume during a trip, and nothing sucks like having to leave your nestled campsite to go get water when the nearest source is miles away. A good filter and a large water jug are very handy on a long roadtrip.

(This post was edited by sandstoned on Apr 27, 2011, 2:26 PM)

sungam

Apr 27, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstoned] The Trip of a Lifetime... by myself? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sandstoned wrote:
sungam wrote:
brand002003 wrote:

BE BEAR AWARE.

Uh... don't spray.

This is all sound advice, especially the eyebrows stuff. You can tell a lot about a man from his eyebrows.

I would add water. Really, I often underestimate the amount of water I will consume during a trip, and nothing sucks like having to leave your nestled campsite to go get water when the nearest source is miles away. A good filter and a large water jug are very handy on a long roadtrip.
Yeah, when I was camping near Moab I had 15 gallons worth of water capacity. Still went through it too fast, though.

But yeah, that leads to another important point: hydration. Drink tons of water.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook