RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

atdrennen

Apr 11, 2011, 1:38 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2158 views)
Shortcut

Shoulder problem
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was out bouldering yesterday and had to down climb a section. The next holds below me were a coule of jugs close to my waist. I transitioned to them and lowered, but rather forcefully/sloppily.

My right hand was several inches higher than my left, and as my arms fully extended, I heard a distinct pop in my right shoulder. I immedaitely thought to myself, that wasn't good, but my shoulders tend to pop around some anyway.

I was able to drop off after that and my shoulder was sore, but not feeling terrible. Twenty minutes later I went to do a problem that traverses the lip of a small roof. As soon as I tried to weight my right arm(while upside down), there was a very sharp pain that told me NO. I sat around for a while but did some other easier problems without any fuss from the shoulder.

Now I have sharp pains when I try to move my arm, as if I were jogging, or roll my shoulder in a cirlce/ do shoulder shrugs. No discoloration or bruising has shown up yet, but it's been less than 24hrs.

I'm not having a problem raising or lowering my arm, it's just when I'm moving my shoulder around in the socket.

My guess is that I've got a relatively mild injury to my rotator cuff, but will probably be going to the doctor this week. I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Oh, and I'm 27 for what it's worth. Thanks-

Partner jammer

Apr 11, 2011, 8:55 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atdrennen] Shoulder problem [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get it looked at.

onceahardman

Apr 11, 2011, 9:37 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atdrennen wrote:

I'm not having a problem raising or lowering my arm, it's just when I'm moving my shoulder around in the socket.

My guess is that I've got a relatively mild injury to my rotator cuff, but will probably be going to the doctor this week. I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Oh, and I'm 27 for what it's worth. Thanks-

FWIW...when you raise and lower your arm, you are "moving your shoulder around in the socket", or, more precisely, you are rolling the humeral head (ball) in the glenoid fossa (socket).

Rotator cuff is strongly in play here, and the mechanism of injury is fairly common. Older folks commonly slip on the stairs, while holding the railing, and land on their butt, with their arm getting jerked over head. Bang! Torn cuff.

Hard to know from here how severe it is. Look around for rotator cuff strengthening exercises. Climbinginjuries.com has a decent set of stuff to try.

Better yet, have a PT or ortho look at it.

billcoe_

Apr 11, 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Shoulder problem [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jammer wrote:
Get it looked at.

By an internet blogger. sOOn

atdrennen

Apr 11, 2011, 9:56 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Shoulder problem [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm seeing the ortho next week. Just thought I'd put up a post to see if there were any similar experiences. Thanks for the replies

atdrennen

Apr 19, 2011, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Followup, fwiw...

Partial dislocation damaged my labrum(apparently the stuff that forms the socket of the shoulder...I think) Should continue to heal up over the next several weeks.

I plan on taking it easy for a while.

Partner jammer

Apr 25, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atdrennen wrote:
Followup, fwiw...

Partial dislocation damaged my labrum(apparently the stuff that forms the socket of the shoulder...I think) Should continue to heal up over the next several weeks.

I plan on taking it easy for a while.
Don't rush it, it will only take longer to heal properly. The same climbs will be there when you are ready.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook