RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

clee03m

Apr 26, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Carpenter cost for metolius gym?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am still toying with the idea of building a home gym. Being that I am not any good at anything handy, I am still in need to someone who can build it for me. Since metolius offers a nice plan which would be perfect for my space, I am leaning more towards a professional carpenter, but I don't want to get ripped off. Reason for looking for a professional is that the two climbers I was looking into for building a gym was not really all that reliable or available. I guess they are too busy climbing.

If I were to hire a carpenter to make something like the metolius wall with a few cracks built into it, how much do you think I should be charged? Would incorporating a few cracks (say 3 on the face) be complicated enough that I would need someone experienced in climbing? Would you advise that I buy my own material (to save money and to ensure best quality) or can I trust a carpenter to do the right thing?

Thanks,
Christine

johnwesely

Apr 26, 2011, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Carpenter cost for metolius gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about costs, but putting the cracks in the middle of the panels is going to be a lot more labor intensive than building a separate section just for cracks.

jomagam

Apr 26, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get as much info as you can. Show the plan to your busy climbing friends for an estimate on how long it'd take to do and what materials they'd use. Then the same from 2-3 professionals. I wouldn't buy the materials without knowing what's the right one for the job. You don't want the wall to fall apart, but also don't want to pay for oak where plywood would do.

darkgift06

Apr 26, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Carpenter cost for metolius gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, get 3-4 quotes on the project & talk to each builder about what your wanting so that you can get there feed back, then make a choice.

edit. perhaps put up a posting at your local Gym or Craig looking for some one who is in the climbing community that might be able to help.

(This post was edited by darkgift06 on Apr 26, 2011, 5:09 PM)

airbender

Apr 26, 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Carpenter cost for metolius gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you not have any climbing friends that can help. I'm sure there is someone around that would help you build it in exchange for access to it.

boadman

Apr 26, 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd just put in a hangboard and go to one of the several local gyms or outside for actual climbing. A hangboard will probably actually do you more good if you can be disciplined.

Have you seen the plans for the new SBP? It looks pretty awesome & relatively convenient for most pugetopolis residents.

I've never known anyone that actually used their cracks more than a few times. Artificial crack climbing just isn't very fun.

clc

Apr 27, 2011, 1:08 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carpenters often charge around $35/hr for simple framing. I bet a 10ft X 20ft wall wound take a few days to build. If I had the money to hire a carpenter I would just get him to buy the supplies too. Keep the wall simple. extra angles and "cool" features wont get used.

clee03m

Apr 28, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boadman] Carpenter cost for metolius gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a baby and can't get out to the gym as much as I would like, so I was thinking a home gym may be the answer. I think one of my partners may have a hangboard idling about that I can have/borrow. Thanks for the idea. Being that my husband isn't that thrilled about building this gym, hangboard may be a good start.

Cost seems like it would be a bit high just for the gym, and the holds are so expensive, too. *sigh*

One of my partners has a crack machine in his back yard, and we still use it at times. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.

What is SBP?

boadman

Apr 28, 2011, 8:38 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the Seattle Bouldering Project:

http://www.seattleboulderingproject.com/

I've been in to check it out. It looks pretty awesome. There's going to be free yoga for members, and there's a kid specific bouldering area with a slide, tunnel, etc. It's also located pretty centrally.

Hangboards have definite, measurable results.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook