RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

patto

Apr 28, 2011, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2937 views)
Shortcut

Cam head width
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have often defended many cams such as the C4 0.3 as being really useful cams in the face of such comments such as them being too wide. In general I rarely have issues with cam head width where I climb so consequently I haven't had problems with small C4s and WC Zeros.

However last weekend I ended up on a hard run out slab climb with the ONLY protection for 7m being two small horizontal pockets. The purple C4 was just too wide for the pocket and the grey too small. I needed tricams or something narrow. I had to retreat. Blush

After a quick comparison it turns out that TOTEM cams are actually even narrower than Tricams. It was the last excuse I needed to buy them so I placed my order! Wink

Now the waiting game until the parcel arrives.

mattm

Apr 28, 2011, 3:07 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Cam head width [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I have often defended many cams such as the C4 0.3 as being really useful cams in the face of such comments such as them being too wide. In general I rarely have issues with cam head width where I climb so consequently I haven't had problems with small C4s and WC Zeros.

However last weekend I ended up on a hard run out slab climb with the ONLY protection for 7m being two small horizontal pockets. The purple C4 was just too wide for the pocket and the grey too small. I needed tricams or something narrow. I had to retreat. Blush

After a quick comparison it turns out that TOTEM cams are actually even narrower than Tricams. It was the last excuse I needed to buy them so I placed my order! Wink

You'll like them and I bet you'll find them an excellent complement to the C4s. I think the Totems will keep being discovered as time goes on.

enigma

Apr 28, 2011, 3:39 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattm] Cam head width [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mattm wrote:
patto wrote:

You'll like them and I bet you'll find them an excellent complement to the C4s. I think the Totems will keep being discovered as time goes on.

Cute Thread title Laugh

bearbreeder

Apr 28, 2011, 3:44 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i <3 my tricams ... always have a set in a biner in my loop

patto

Apr 28, 2011, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Cam head width [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:

I was tempted to get some tricams as well but I may just borrow a friends and compare their performance against Totems in such small pockets.

But as I have said cam head width is rarely an issue for the places I climb.

(I think I might get red and gold dragons instead of Totems in the larger sizes, but I'll see how much I like the Totems. All this will likely replace my 2nd set of cams which is older cams of various brands.)

(This post was edited by patto on Apr 28, 2011, 4:05 AM)

esander4

Apr 28, 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

I was tempted to get some tricams as well but I may just borrow a friends and compare their performance against Totems in such small pockets.

But as I have said cam head width is rarely an issue for the places I climb.

(I think I might get red and gold dragons instead of Totems in the larger sizes, but I'll see how much I like the Totems. All this will likely replace my 2nd set of cams which is older cams of various brands.)

I have a full set of totems coming in tomorrow as well. I'm so glad they decided to ship from the US now. I would have bought the totems a long time ago had it not been for the obnoxious wait time.

You may love or hate the dragons. If you're a free climb only person, you'll love them. The extendable sling is actually as useful as DMM says it is. It helps rope drag problems so much. And not having a thumb loop wasn't an issue for me, the termination at the bottom is so huge and ergonomical it made no difference. I have a full set of those because I liked them better than c4s.

rocknice2

Apr 29, 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Cam head width [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:

I think he meant a 3 cam unit not tricams

But tricams do work great in pockets!

Partner camhead

Apr 29, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Cam head width [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I think my width is all right. Most ladies prefer girth over length anyway.

patto

Apr 29, 2011, 2:46 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Cam head width [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

I think he meant a 3 cam unit not tricams

But tricams do work great in pockets!

Nah I did mean Tricams. According to the specs these are wider!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook