Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jmus

Apr 24, 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #26 of 46 (4180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

it might not be direct cable im hoping they realized that nylon on cable is bad haha

jt512

Apr 25, 2011, 1:19 AM
Post #27 of 46 (4157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jmus] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jmus wrote:
it might not be direct cable im hoping they realized that nylon on cable is bad haha

I don't suppose there's any chance that you'll try to write your posts in English, is there?

Oh, never mind. *plonk*

Jay

Jmus

Apr 25, 2011, 2:45 AM
Post #28 of 46 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

now im confused haha

viciado

Apr 25, 2011, 8:28 AM
Post #29 of 46 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry, *plonk* means you won't hear from Jay512 anytime soon... unless someone quotes you.

(This post was edited by viciado on Apr 25, 2011, 9:13 AM)

blueeyedclimber

Apr 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #30 of 46 (4105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jmus wrote:
now im confused haha

Tongue

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Apr 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #31 of 46 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, Spending all summer setting up ropes for kids (who would be screwed if something happened to me), I find the safest way to protect yourself at the top of the cliff is to use a separate "rope" safety line. This can be either static or dynamic. I use primarily a long static to set up all my anchors and just use enough to attach to an anchor so it hangs over the edge (tie a knot in the end) and attach myself with a gri gri (a shunt or prussik will also work).

If your toprope anchor is set back from the edge than use the same one for your safety line. If it is bolts right at the edge or even over it, then set up a separate line off a tree or other features at the top.

Josh

Jmus

Apr 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #32 of 46 (4096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats actually what i have been doing all this year at school when ive been setting up topropes and its amazing but i have my schools gear once i go back home i no longer will have all that but i did learn some cool ways to anchor with your climbing rope while hanging over the edge and once you set your anchor switching over and rappin down

dave76

Apr 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #33 of 46 (4035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what many people do over here is use a sling made out of a few feet of rope. Alternatively, some stores sell dynamic slings made out of a piece of dynamic rope.

shockabuku

Apr 27, 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #34 of 46 (4028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jmus wrote:
thats actually what i have been doing all this year at school when ive been setting up topropes and its amazing but i have my schools gear once i go back home i no longer will have all that but i did learn some cool ways to anchor with your climbing rope while hanging over the edge and once you set your anchor switching over and rappin down

What's amazing?

Jmus

Apr 27, 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #35 of 46 (4026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was saying its nice to have all of the schools gear to use because they have alot to pick from and use to set my anchors but this summer i wont have as much gear to use

shockabuku

Apr 27, 2011, 1:42 PM
Post #36 of 46 (4005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

salamanizer wrote:
Good god people. Use one of those Metolius full strength dasies if you're so paranoid or just clip in with a sling or two like everyone else. Why over complicate things.

They didn't have any of this fancy bullshit back in the day and most everyone didn't die. You're over thinking and being paranoid. Use your head, think shit through and you'll be just fine.

These tests (http://www.dmmclimbing.com/...nid=293&ngroup=1) might indicate that he's not overthinking it.

jt512

Apr 27, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #37 of 46 (3989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Jmus wrote:

What's amazing?

That he went to school.

Jay

bearbreeder

Apr 27, 2011, 3:24 PM
Post #38 of 46 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most of these test have no harness in the system ... we do wear harnesses dont we?

im sure some here will say the harness doesnt make a difference Tongue

shockabuku

Apr 27, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #39 of 46 (3957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
most of these test have no harness in the system ... we do wear harnesses dont we?

im sure some here will say the harness doesnt make a difference Tongue

Although, in conjunction with a body, it presumably functions reasonably well that way, a harness isn't made for energy absorption and when dealing with forces that might be in the 10-12 kN range I'd prefer to avoid the issue altogether.

bearbreeder

Apr 27, 2011, 9:44 PM
Post #40 of 46 (3935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Although, in conjunction with a body, it presumably functions reasonably well that way, a harness isn't made for energy absorption and when dealing with forces that might be in the 10-12 kN range I'd prefer to avoid the issue altogether.

whadda do i see here? ... these gumbie bums using static slings and daisies hitched to their harness ... OMG ... dun they know that their gumby azzes are toast because they didnt listen to those RC "experts" !!!!

shockabuku

Apr 27, 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #41 of 46 (3919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Jmus wrote:

I don't suppose there's any chance that you'll try to write your posts in English, is there?

Oh, never mind. *plonk*

Jay

#5: Plonk
Definition:

cheap or inferior wine
Example:

"Fine diners are drinking premier cru wines at plonk prices as a bring-your-own booze revolution gathers pace in Britain's best restaurants." – Robert Booth, The Guardian, June 20, 2010
About the word:

Plonk is a shortening of the earlier plink-plonk, and it may be a modification of vin blanc, which means "white wine" in French.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/top-ten-lists/top-10-favorite-british-words/plonk.html

shockabuku

Apr 27, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #42 of 46 (3915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

whadda do i see here? ... these gumbie bums using static slings and daisies hitched to their harness ... OMG ... dun they know that their gumby azzes are toast because they didnt listen to those RC "experts" !!!!

[image]http://i52.tinypic.com/15q6iwy.png[/image]

Now you've taken the issue out of the context in which it was posed. What you don't see is those same "gumbie bums" above their anchors, do you?

You've said your piece, you obviously don't think this is a serious issue, but that doesn't make you right.

If you want to engage in a sarcastic, belittling argument, I'm not interested.

carabiner96

Apr 28, 2011, 8:41 PM
Post #43 of 46 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
BTW, Spending all summer setting up ropes for kids (who would be screwed if something happened to me), I find the safest way to protect yourself at the top of the cliff is to use a separate "rope" safety line. This can be either static or dynamic. I use primarily a long static to set up all my anchors and just use enough to attach to an anchor so it hangs over the edge (tie a knot in the end) and attach myself with a gri gri (a shunt or prussik will also work).

If your toprope anchor is set back from the edge than use the same one for your safety line. If it is bolts right at the edge or even over it, then set up a separate line off a tree or other features at the top.

Josh
Ditto. Although your post would be waaay more entertaining if you could work some more insults into it, a la Salmoneyezer.

rangerrob

May 3, 2011, 4:21 PM
Post #44 of 46 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just because they are halfway up a wall in Yosemite with wild looking hair and drinking water out of a shitty bottle doesn't mean they have any idea what they are doing. The picture is completely out of the context of the discussion. Aid climbing does not immediately imply experience. I'm sure there are plenty of newbie mistakes made on The Nose.

bearbreeder

May 3, 2011, 4:26 PM
Post #45 of 46 (3785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] edge of cliff safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im sure they are newbs Wink ... im also quite sure they have no idea what they are doing ... they were only "projecting" free climbing some gumby route called mescalito ...

how about this one from parks canada rescue ... im sure they dont know either Tongue

rangerrob

May 3, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #46 of 46 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And I suppose my lack of climber identification automaticallty makes me a Newbie, right? Hey, at least I got the cliff right!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook