Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

darkgift06

May 9, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #1 of 28 (15450 views)
Shortcut

Pants
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking at upgrading from jeans, to some more appropriate pants for climbing & my out door life style as I tend to rip the crotch out of every pair of pants I've ever worn.

However there is a catch, I can order Jeans online from Old Navy for $20 a pair, so my wife & myself are having a hard time paying $60-100 for one pair of MEC, North face, or Patagonia starter level outdoor pants. I'm wondering if I should buy 5 pairs of Jeans & forget about the crazy cost of one pair of outdoor pants? or do I buy 2 pairs of inseam gusset, knee darted, quick drying pants & just wear them everywhere all the time.. work, dinners, hiking, climbing?

smallclimber

May 9, 2011, 4:46 PM
Post #2 of 28 (15438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have Target or K-Mart in Canada? How about just getting a chear pair of cotton/synthetic blend pants, probably about $20. They will be easier to move in than jeans and will dry faster. Not as hard wearing as a brand name, but cheaper.

qwert

May 9, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 28 (15427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you want to do with your pants?

As long as you are just sport climbing, jeans are perfectly OK, as long as they fit you well. I "switched back" from all kinds of "outdoor pants" to jeans, since - for sport climbing - they do not really provide anithing that makes them better than other pants.

Never had problems with the crotch, but then i dont really buy cheap jeans, so maybe its a quality thing in general?

However if you want to get into stuff like alpine climbing, or anything where you have a really long approach, the fancy outdoor pants are really usefull. They are - most of the time - significantly lighter than jeans - nice if you need to carry them in your pack (think multi day trips - and they mostly are more water resistand and much faster drying than jeans.

However most stuff is indeed expensive. Personally i like Fjällräven. Not exactly climbing pants, but they work quite good. Between 100 and 150€, but they generally last me for around 10 years, so i guess thats ok.

qwert

jakedatc

May 9, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #4 of 28 (15424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carhart double knee. comfy and tough.

michael1245

May 9, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #5 of 28 (15424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a pair of Izod "carpenter" pants for like $20 on clearance and they've held up against outdoor climbing for the past year with no rips. forget an expensive name brand...just find something made from sturdy work-man material. then again, the heavier the material the hotter you'll be. I'm getting ready to put those pants on the shelf until the fall. I bought "lightweight" cargo pants from EMS and REI (store-brand) for a recent Central American rainforest trip...I think they were $40-$50 each. Both held up REALLY well to the rain, mud/dirt, trips and falls, and a good amount of rock climbing...and, they kept me cool as well in the heat.

sp115

May 9, 2011, 5:22 PM
Post #6 of 28 (15410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeans are fine to climb in, but climbing pants generally allow for better freedom of movement and either that matters to your or it doesn't.

I swear by Stonemaster pants (these should solve your torn-out cotch issues).

http://www.stonemastergear.com/...uemart&Itemid=83

(This post was edited by sp115 on May 9, 2011, 5:26 PM)

climber49er

May 10, 2011, 2:01 PM
Post #7 of 28 (15337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any reason not to go super simple and get some basic workout pants? I find them on clearance all the time when the racks get filled up with shorts for summer.

mattm

May 10, 2011, 2:13 PM
Post #8 of 28 (15329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
Jeans are fine to climb in, but climbing pants generally allow for better freedom of movement and either that matters to your or it doesn't.

I swear by Stonemaster pants (these should solve your torn-out cotch issues).

http://www.stonemastergear.com/...uemart&Itemid=83

If you're avoiding "schoeller" pants, the Stonemaster Pants are AWESOME. Makes jeans seem like a bad idea. (Never got climbing in jeans. they don't stretch AT ALL IMO, terrible for movement)

+1 for Stonemaster Pants

MarcelS

May 10, 2011, 2:36 PM
Post #9 of 28 (15320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattm] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For both indoor and outdoor climbing I simply use 3/4 length sports pants, mine are from Asics but most brands make them. They are very light, great freedom of movement. Now I don't do alpine, and I avoid climbing when its too cold, because these 3/4 pants might be a bit chilly for that :-)

sp115

May 10, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #10 of 28 (15302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climber49er] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climber49er wrote:
Any reason not to go super simple and get some basic workout pants? I find them on clearance all the time when the racks get filled up with shorts for summer.

Truthfully, you can wear anything you want. But how they stretch, fit under a harness, breathe, and dry when wet will all factor in to some degree.

As for workout pants, I suppose they might be fine. But then again, little things like the pocket locations and whether or not they have a fly might be an more of an annoyance than the $15 you save over something more technical.

saint_john

May 10, 2011, 4:03 PM
Post #11 of 28 (15287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of Prana Tangra climbing pants that a super rad. they fit nice and slim and are very stretchy. MSRP is like a $100 but I found mine cheap on eBay.

singletrackmike

May 10, 2011, 4:25 PM
Post #12 of 28 (15280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like Saint John said, EBAY! I don't care if pants are used as I'll wash them a couple of times to get rid of cooties. I've gotten Gramicci, North Face & Patagonia pants for about $15 . And that could include shipping as well.
Another good place to look is Sierra Trading Post - their "Bargain Barn".

saint_john

May 10, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #13 of 28 (15277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [singletrackmike] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

singletrackmike wrote:
Like Saint John said, EBAY! I don't care if pants are used as I'll wash them a couple of times to get rid of cooties. I've gotten Gramicci, North Face & Patagonia pants for about $15 . And that could include shipping as well.
Another good place to look is Sierra Trading Post - their "Bargain Barn".

I think I paid $35 for my Tangras on ebay, and they were NEW!
I also just got some Prana and Mountain Hardware shorts from Sierra Trading Post for more than half off.

darkgift06

May 10, 2011, 4:33 PM
Post #14 of 28 (15272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't want sweat pants, or work out/track pants, as they will wear out fast in the cracks & as said b4 I want fly & pockets.

Jeans are ok but my main reason for not wanting jeans is the lack of stretch I've blown the crotch out of almost every pair I own.

I guess I'll keep looking at places like Winners some quality cheep stuff.. I might just get 3 pairs of cheep $20 jeans from Old Navy & maybe double sew the crotch's lol, & one pair of good fast drying, gusseted crotch pants from somewhere like MEC

saint_john

May 10, 2011, 4:42 PM
Post #15 of 28 (15270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
Jeans are ok but my main reason for not wanting jeans is the lack of stretch I've blown the crotch out of almost every pair I own.

That's what she said.

Prana and Patagonia both make stretch jeans.

darkgift06

May 11, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #16 of 28 (15185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:

That's what she said.

Prana and Patagonia both make stretch jeans.

Yea they do but for $60-100.

welle

May 11, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #17 of 28 (15177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The old adage "You get what you pay for" is true for climbing pants. I have a pair of Pata Rock guides and a cheap pair of EMS climbing pants. Patagonia pants still look like new, while EMS pants look really worn and old, and I think I've worn Pata pants more often. Plus they're tailored well and are good looking just to wear around the town.

caughtinside

May 11, 2011, 5:48 PM
Post #18 of 28 (15171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your baseline is $20 jeans, then I'd suggest just looking around for cheap khakis and cargo pants. You can usually find them at Marshalls for cheap, or goodwill for cheaper. Trad climbing beats up pants, I don't like spending big $$ for something that I'm going to drag up chimneys and thigh lock in wide cracks.

If weather is a factor though you have to have a synthetic pair. A plain pair of nylon pants is generally inexpensive, although I do have a fancy pair of patagonia somethings that have held up well for alpine stuff.

As an aside... anything I have ever bought from old navy disintegrates after like 3 uses.

donald949

May 11, 2011, 6:39 PM
Post #19 of 28 (15144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
If your baseline is $20 jeans, then I'd suggest just looking around for cheap khakis and cargo pants. You can usually find them at Marshalls for cheap, or goodwill for cheaper. Trad climbing beats up pants, I don't like spending big $$ for something that I'm going to drag up chimneys and thigh lock in wide cracks.

If weather is a factor though you have to have a synthetic pair. A plain pair of nylon pants is generally inexpensive, although I do have a fancy pair of patagonia somethings that have held up well for alpine stuff.

As an aside... anything I have ever bought from old navy disintegrates after like 3 uses.
+1 on the plain nylon pants. Not the workout pants, but the zip off leg "outdoors" pants you can sometimes find at Target/Walmart/Big5. Little heavier fabric holds up a lot better than the workout nylon.

divnamite

May 11, 2011, 7:47 PM
Post #20 of 28 (15121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

welle wrote:
The old adage "You get what you pay for" is true for climbing pants. I have a pair of Pata Rock guides and a cheap pair of EMS climbing pants. Patagonia pants still look like new, while EMS pants look really worn and old, and I think I've worn Pata pants more often. Plus they're tailored well and are good looking just to wear around the town.
Ditto. Patagonia Rock Guide pants are great. Get them on sale for about $65. I used them as my three season pants, from hiking to climbing to just walking around town. Still look like new after all the abuse.

chatreed

May 13, 2011, 8:33 AM
Post #21 of 28 (15037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [divnamite] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wear jeans to climb?not a good idea,I often get rei outdoor pants

sungam

May 13, 2011, 9:48 AM
Post #22 of 28 (15029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chatreed] Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chatreed wrote:
wear jeans to climb?not a good idea
Seb Grieve says you RONG boi!

Meshuggah, E9 6c, First Ascent

special_blend

May 14, 2011, 1:30 AM
Post #23 of 28 (14988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wear whatever you want!

Some people will tell you that climbing in Jeans is constrictive and and cotton is shitty for sweating in. A polyblend pant will offer better stretch and be moisture wicking, they are by far superior but a lot of people balk at the price tag (to me spending as much as $180 on good pants is worthwhile) Some companies make comfy rock climbing pants like Prana and Sickle and Knickers which are awesome and usually under $100, stretch material and made with climbing in mind fit wise. Another alternative is a cotton canvas pant like Carrharts, or even Arc'Teryx Spotter Pants.

- If you buy pants with cargo pockets make sure they don't interfere with the leg loops and it's better if the pockets zip closed
- A pant thats tapered past the knee is nice for not getting in the way of your shoes
- Moisture wicking polyblends are more comfortable than heavy cotton
- Make sure the pants sit proper on your waist and won't ride your hips, it's uncomfortable if the pants are below your swammi belt
- Pants with a bit of Lycra are awesome and allow for maximum range of movement

Some nice climbing pants

- Arc'Teryx Spotter Pant
- Arc'Teryx Rampart Pant
- Sickle Crux pant
- Patagonia Rock Guide pant
- The North Face v12 pant
- Prana Stretch Zion pant

cacalderon

May 14, 2011, 2:29 AM
Post #24 of 28 (14979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

prana has awesome climbing pants... search online for deals since prana is not cheap

mach2

May 14, 2011, 6:55 AM
Post #25 of 28 (14945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for carhartt, double knees are all the better. Otherwise learn to sew, then you can have whatever you want.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook