RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

clee03m

May 2, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4193 views)
Shortcut

Baby and backpack legistics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, one of us carris the baby in a backpack. This packpack is equiped with a small pack, but the way it is made, making this pack heavy make the whole pack off balance, so we are forced to put light things in there. This leaves one person to carry everything else other than the baby pretty much. Despite that we have a backpacking pack for a woman, we are having a hard time fitting everything into this pack. So far, we have been doing short days, but if I want to do a full day, I am not sure how to carry everything. Any suggestions? I do have an off road jogging strollar, but so far the trails haven not been easy enough to take that.

lena_chita

May 2, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Baby and backpack legistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

How about you make a list of things that you think you need to bring with you for a full day of cragging with the baby, and we can either trim that list in terms of what is optional, or figure out the sizes of packs you need...

There is no way around it, hiking to a crag with a baby means bringing a LOT of stuff. And that means heavy awkward packs.

Which in turn means that you have to do one or more of this:

- limit the amount of stuff you bring amd learn to do without
- stick to crags with easy short approaches, so bringing a lot of stuff in awkward heavy packs is still O.K.
- be willing to go back to the car and make couple trips for stuff you couldn't bring in one step.

I cannot see bringing a stroller, even an off-road one, to most of the climbing areas, but I have been to some places where you certainly could get away with it (going back to choosing crags with easy approaches).

(I PM'ed you a photo-- see additional info in PM)

gblauer

May 5, 2011, 6:05 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think it's very hard to focus on climbing and the baby. While I realize that you are talking about equipment logistics, I think you would be better served by paying a teenager to come to the crag with you. The extra hands can lighten the load and look after the baby while you climb.

carabiner96

May 5, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
So, one of us carris the baby in a backpack. This packpack is equiped with a small pack, but the way it is made, making this pack heavy make the whole pack off balance, so we are forced to put light things in there. This leaves one person to carry everything else other than the baby pretty much. Despite that we have a backpacking pack for a woman, we are having a hard time fitting everything into this pack. So far, we have been doing short days, but if I want to do a full day, I am not sure how to carry everything. Any suggestions? I do have an off road jogging strollar, but so far the trails haven not been easy enough to take that.
You could maybe wear a small backpack on your chest? Just large enough for shoes, harness, food...

erisspirit

May 5, 2011, 8:37 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Baby and backpack legistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I think it's very hard to focus on climbing and the baby. While I realize that you are talking about equipment logistics, I think you would be better served by paying a teenager to come to the crag with you. The extra hands can lighten the load and look after the baby while you climb.

I love the idea of going climbing in a group that can support watching kids and climbing.

if/when I ever have kids, I'll probably be back asking you all how you figured it out Tongue

markc

May 6, 2011, 6:46 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Going as a small group with friends who are willing to share some of the burden is awesome. That said, my wife has worn a carrier for our son, and I've carried the bulk of the gear. Keeping the kiddo safe is the larger priority, so my wife tends to not carry much else. Taking rope bag or a small pack on your chest as 'biner suggested may be a manageable addition, but that's as far as I'd push it. (My wife doesn't have great joints, so I've tended to take the larger loads anyway.) It's worked for us over the past few years.

A bigger pack may be in order, or at least lashing the rope and some other stuff to the outside. With kids, plans don't always work out. Here's me carrying the gear and the boy on the hike in this past summer.

clee03m

May 8, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Baby and backpack legistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Btw, I know this topic isn't really only for the ladies' but I wanted to post it in a moderated forum. Thanks for your suggestions.

boadman

May 11, 2011, 7:18 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:

We usually climb at kid friendly areas when we're taking the munchkins which generally means pretty moderate approaches. My kids are a bit older and can get to the crag under their own power, but I tend to bring the jogger and pile it full of toys, blankets, etc.

The Country, at Index, and bouldering in Leavenworth, and the main wall in New Halem are a couple of good local locations for taking kids. The camping at New Halem is pretty nice, too.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook