RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Arockstar

May 16, 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Looking for Daks partners this summer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone interested in cragging/multipitch/bouldering I'm looking for partners starting in June. Have rack, rope, wheels, and guidebook. Looking to get up on weekends. Currently lead 5.8 but that should improve quickly as I get more time on the rock.

AARONLEWISDINKIN

May 19, 2011, 4:08 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arockstar] Looking for Daks partners this summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm more a beginner, I love to belay, I'd love to try some outside rock, I'm getting fed up with the gym crowd.

dr_feelgood

May 20, 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AARONLEWISDINKIN] Looking for Daks partners this summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AARONLEWISDINKIN wrote:
I'm more a beginner, I love to belay, I'd love to try some outside rock, I'm getting fed up with the gym crowd.
Do you give a good second?

AARONLEWISDINKIN

May 20, 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Looking for Daks partners this summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a question you'll have to ask the people I belay. I mostly belay because that's where I personally feel I have proficiency.

I've never done any of that crazy two rope ice climbing belay work though, just very sheltered gym/pa/h5 type belay work. I used to remember all the knots to setup the "elements" but after years of on and off gym work where they don't let customers set up the routes, I pretty much forgot all the knots from memory. Which is why I feel the gyms are holding me back.

I want to learn lead from an experienced mentor who is willing to teach me, but I find it very difficult to gain experience if others demand experience and are not willing to share and teach it.

Your safety is up to you, I'm just asking an opportunity to learn and be mentored, which, pusher spending several hundred at one of those EMS classes which always conflict with my schedule because I work weekend overnights taking care of the disabled, I cannot figure out how to progress on my own; I never climb without a buddy. Period

carabiner96

May 20, 2011, 1:23 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AARONLEWISDINKIN wrote:
That's a question you'll have to ask the people I belay. I mostly belay because that's where I personally feel I have proficiency.

I've never done any of that crazy two rope ice climbing belay work though, just very sheltered gym/pa/h5 type belay work. I used to remember all the knots to setup the "elements" but after years of on and off gym work where they don't let customers set up the routes, I pretty much forgot all the knots from memory. Which is why I feel the gyms are holding me back.

I want to learn lead from an experienced mentor who is willing to teach me, but I find it very difficult to gain experience if others demand experience and are not willing to share and teach it.

Your safety is up to you, I'm just asking an opportunity to learn and be mentored, which, pusher spending several hundred at one of those EMS classes which always conflict with my schedule because I work weekend overnights taking care of the disabled, I cannot figure out how to progress on my own; I never climb without a buddy. Period
That's not what he asked. Are you a good second? How much gear is the person baby sitting you going to lose?

carabiner96

May 20, 2011, 1:26 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arockstar] Looking for Daks partners this summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arockstar wrote:
Anyone interested in cragging/multipitch/bouldering I'm looking for partners starting in June. Have rack, rope, wheels, and guidebook. Looking to get up on weekends. Currently lead 5.8 but that should improve quickly as I get more time on the rock.
I might be down for later in the summer, I'm coming from central vermont so I'd have to do an overnight to make it worthwhile.

dr_feelgood

May 20, 2011, 1:31 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Looking for Daks partners this summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
AARONLEWISDINKIN wrote:

That's not what he asked. Are you a good second? How much gear is the person baby sitting you going to lose?

I demand good seconds.

Arockstar

May 20, 2011, 2:02 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Arockstar wrote:
I might be down for later in the summer, I'm coming from central vermont so I'd have to do an overnight to make it worthwhile.

Let me know. Im coming from Southern VT. If you're down for 2+ days Ive got housing covered.

AARONLEWISDINKIN

May 20, 2011, 4:00 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Babysitting? I'm not sure how everyone here developed their experience, I hope it wasn't all books and praying "it worked the same" in practice? I'm asking for a more experienced person to help me, it's a simple concept called learning; usually involves a person with more experience "a teacher" and a person with less experience "a student." I don't know how everyone here seems to have magically assimilated this information (through osmosis) without them being a novice at some point in their past/history? Weren't you asking the same questions I'm asking at one point? I don't understand why I'm not allowed the same chance all of you before me received when those of you were in my shoes?

enigma

May 20, 2011, 6:30 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AARONLEWISDINKIN wrote:
Babysitting? I'm not sure how everyone here developed their experience, I hope it wasn't all books and praying "it worked the same" in practice? I'm asking for a more experienced person to help me, it's a simple concept called learning; usually involves a person with more experience "a teacher" and a person with less experience "a student." I don't know how everyone here seems to have magically assimilated this information (through osmosis) without them being a novice at some point in their past/history? Weren't you asking the same questions I'm asking at one point? I don't understand why I'm not allowed the same chance all of you before me received when those of you were in my shoes?

A second cleans the gear from the route, cams, nuts, aliens, quickdraws, if you can't get the gear out and climb up to the top of the climb, problems are encountered.
You need a nut tool, as well as being able to balance sometimes on one leg or whatever in order to get out everything out for the leader.
While doing this you put in on your harness, including webbing, and when you get to the top of the climb you give it to the leader. Gear is expensive!
Since you are in a gym you can take a lead class, and begin to clean quickdraws. Good Start.
You have get to the top of the route. If you start climbing and you make it only halfway , it causes problems.
You are part of a partnership, a team together.

(This post was edited by enigma on May 20, 2011, 6:35 AM)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook