RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

colin

Jun 25, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #1 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Clothing while climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

While bouldering at a roadside boulder near my house a few days ago it was scorchingly hot. So, I took off my shirt and proceeded to climb. Well, apparantly this wasn't cool with a woman across the street. She decided to scream at me to put on my shirt which I of course didn't do. She continued screaming so I couldn't concentrate and as a result I eventually left.

What would you have done in this situation?

Should you wear a shirt if it's 'offending' someone?

lostangel

Jun 25, 2002, 11:51 PM
Post #2 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Clothing while climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it prolly turned her on

phillycheese

Jun 25, 2002, 11:53 PM
Post #3 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hell no i wouldn't put my shirt back on. what business is it of anyone to yell at somebody for having thier shirt off. now if you were climbing her house or her tree or something, then maybe i could see her yelling at you. i'm so sick of this trend of trying your hardest to please all people at all times. doesn't the saying go:
"you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time." i'm all for being respectful but you can't control how someone is going to react. maybe it's best to not push their buttons further, but if they have the problem, that' exactly what it is. THIER PROBLEM.

apollodorus

Jun 26, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #4 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This advice goes against the usual Western ideas regarding hot days in the sun when there is no shade, but here goes:

Loose, white cotton pants and long-sleeved shirt. A hat with a handkerchief sewed across the back will keep the sun off your neck. For walls, you are normally wearing fingerless gloves, and sunglasses and sunblock complete the look.

My basis for this is twofold: ONE - the people who have successfully lived in the desert generally cover up to conserve their consumption of water, and TWO - I wore this sort of faux-sheik getup for ten days on the Excalibur three weeks ago, and was never hot and never felt dehydrated. Six days worth of water lasted ten, and that included drinking two pots of coffee each morning.

Bare skin gets sunburned, and also loses water much faster than if it's covered up. Loose cotton will essentially recycle your sweat when it evaporates again.

clymber

Jun 26, 2002, 1:28 AM
Post #5 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

should have put your shirt back on and taken off your shorts

colin

Jun 26, 2002, 2:17 AM
Post #6 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tom, I understand the logic behind what you're saying but when I'm bouldering I just don't like the feeling of a shirt on my back.

apollodorus

Jun 26, 2002, 2:52 AM
Post #7 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colin, I know what you're saying about the shirt being in the way. I am not a boulderer, and can only pretend to claim to about 3 hours of total bouldering time in my life.

I just wanted to say that when the water is dear, and the desert is 2000+ feet high, dressing up like Osama bin Laden is not a bad idea.

Sunblock, though, acts like an invisible shirt. Sunburn dehydrates and fatigues you big time.

Guzzling (water, not beer) helps you go out helps alot. By the time you feel thirsty, you're dehydrated. Drink first, then party. I know this sounds silly, but it works.

Now that I think of it, drinking water first before you party is universally applicable to all sports, including Riding The Shot Glass To The Floor.

katywhitman

Jun 26, 2002, 3:29 AM
Post #8 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that woman was nutzo.

[ This Message was edited by: katywhitman on 2002-06-25 20:30 ]

ktwo

Jun 26, 2002, 4:03 AM
Post #9 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out running today (sadly, not climbing ) and did the same thing, taking my shirt off. I was wondering if this was going to offend someone (or perhaps damage the solar reflectors on the ISS due to the extreme brightness) but then I decided that I didn't care. Let them think what they want, cause it is not their problem.

I don't know where that was going, but... yeah.

colin

Jun 26, 2002, 4:05 AM
Post #10 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Running shirtless is key. You don't have to deal with nipple chaffing...

farmerc

Jun 26, 2002, 4:58 AM
Post #11 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just climb totally nude and see what she says, perhaps she'll realize that you sans-shirt isn't so bad.

elvislegs

Jun 26, 2002, 4:45 PM
Post #12 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You shold yell at her to take her shirt off too. Tell her your offended by clothed women and let her see how rediculous HER complaining is.

phlyfisher

Jun 26, 2002, 4:56 PM
Post #13 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tell her that you lost it on top of the rock and you are trying to get it. Until then ask if you can borrow hers.

Climb on climba

punk

Jun 26, 2002, 6:00 PM
Post #14 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes …PUT YOUR SHIRT ON …do you wana give her hart-attack with your bulging muscles and endless youth ….show some consideration for the weaker hart

FLABBIO has spoken

[ This Message was edited by: punk on 2002-06-26 11:13 ]

doosh

Jun 26, 2002, 6:14 PM
Post #15 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wear a thong.

Sex up her daughter.

duracellbunny

Jun 26, 2002, 6:32 PM
Post #16 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see any problem climbing/bouldering shirtless
Don't pay attention to her screams and do your best. If she is getting annoying, just get closer and ask her what the problem is....

Climb safe and hard!!!

fingerjam

Jun 26, 2002, 6:35 PM
Post #17 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate my shirt

doosh

Jun 26, 2002, 6:38 PM
Post #18 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Next time, when she's looking at you, be sure to be wearing the shirt.

Then, when you know she is watching, tear it off like the hulk and just send something right then.

(If you are weak, you might need to precut the collar of the shirt.)

When she starts screaming, be like: "Sorry, I don't remember much of the last few minutes, but apparently you ripped up my shirt. I can't do much about that."

colin

Jun 26, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #19 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doosh you never cease to make me laugh.

If only she had a daughter to sex up.....

mreardon

Jun 28, 2002, 12:20 AM
Post #20 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have a rule that you have to do at least one naked climb at every new area you visit, which is fine for remote places and areas, but a whole other issue at places like Red Rocks, Las Vegas. It was our first time there, and yes we were at the Gallery. Yes there were about 8 billion people hanging at the crag. And a rule is a rule. So stripping naked and pretty much blinding everyone in the process with the blinding white of my backside, I proceeded to work my way up one of the easier climbs there, praying I wouldn't fall and ruin any chances of children in the future. Luckily, I made it up quickly, hit the anchors, and came down to a complimentary round of applause.

I say you ask her to take her shirt off next time if it will make her feel more comfortable. Or in your most feminine voice tell her to thank her husband for the date the other night. Once she believes you're gay she won't worry anymore about whether or not you have a shirt on.

nailzz

Jun 28, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #21 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:

Just tell her that you lost it on top of the rock and you are trying to get it. Until then ask if you can borrow hers.

HAHA !! LMFAO.

As far as water and dehydration go (not the main point of this post but an offshoot), I have heard that chugging water will help you cool down if you're hot (obviously the water must be at least below body temp for this to happen) but will do little for hydrating yourself. Drinking smaller amounts at intervals is much better.

The logic is that your body will only absorb so much water in any given time. So, to saturate yourself is going to create a lot of waste and only a fraction of what you drink will actually go to hydrating yourself.

Another benefit to drinking regular amounts at intervals is you will have to urinate far less frequently. The more your body absorbs, the less waste there is, the less you have to pee.

I haven't seen any scientific claims to this effect, but it makes sense and seems to work for me. Just thought I'd pass it on. As for now, all this talk of water and such is making me really have to go to the bathroom.

Have fun.

a4naught

Jun 28, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #22 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is kinda off point, but this "recycling" of sweat, I like the idea, Apollodorus. Unfortunately, for me, I get overheated too fast and wearing even light clothing for me just seems to make this phenomenon worse. But then again, I'm not sure I would subject anyone else to my semi-flabby whiteness and know I would burn up a storm and be dehydrated taboot like someone else mentioned, as a result.

Anyone ever notice that there only seem to be complaints when guys take off their clothes? Not too many objections when the gals do. Perhaps the ticket is to dress in drag at the base of the boulder, then shuck the shirt.

Gosh, screaming takes SO much energy...I wonder why she put so much effort into it instead of just not bothering to take any notice. Perhaps there is something in this little story that we are not being told COLIN...

Hm...with all these young guys with their pants down around their a****, looking positively moronic, you'd think that might receive more attention than it does. I watched a guy the other day, essentially walking across two major intersections near home with his pants down past his butt. Pulling them up was a mere formality, as the pants immediately fell "back into place". I find the most offensive thing continues to be stupidity.

I have an idea, maybe Colin should post a picture of himself sans shirt, and we should take a vote on who is offended.

ximiana

Jan 2, 2003, 6:42 AM
Post #23 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take all off, and let anybody scream!!!

i dont have a problem when my climb partners take off his tshirts, but if u boulder in a city area, u can have problems if the neighbors dont like see mens with out a tshirt.

bretterick

Jan 2, 2003, 8:19 AM
Post #24 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA...thats all i have to say on this matter

durus

Jan 2, 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #25 of 25 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd call the police and make a complaint against her for disturbing the peace.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook