RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

DonH

May 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2077 views)
Shortcut

New Guy here!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys my name is Don and i am a newb here! Today was my first day ever entering a rock climbing facility and lets just say i had a blast! took a bit to get used to BUT bouldering seems to be my forte. i love it. I signed up at Hanger 18 in riverside california so if anyone goes there let me know! we can meet up and i can learn a few things! i look forward to progressing in this sport.

climber49er

May 27, 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DonH] New Guy here! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Newb! Smile

I actually think your a born crack jammer. Bouldering is for sissies.

MTBZEN

May 29, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hiya Don -

I'm super new to climbing gyms too and am completely hooked! Three times a week there and still Jonesing in between.

I have yet to try the bouldering section. It's usually pretty packed and very serious but I'm totally digging top roping.

I think the best advice I've rec'd here is to not just try to do harder and harder problems at this point. Keep it simple to develop good form, strength and endurance.

And most important...have fun! :)

Cheers-

DonH

May 29, 2011, 5:57 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MTBZEN] New Guy here! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MTBZEN wrote:
Hiya Don -

I'm super new to climbing gyms too and am completely hooked! Three times a week there and still Jonesing in between.

I have yet to try the bouldering section. It's usually pretty packed and very serious but I'm totally digging top roping.

I think the best advice I've rec'd here is to not just try to do harder and harder problems at this point. Keep it simple to develop good form, strength and endurance.

And most important...have fun! :)

Cheers-

thanks for the kind words! the gym i am going to does not seem to be to serious in the bouldering section but that could be due to the time of day i go.
In reply to:

MTBZEN

May 31, 2011, 5:25 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah...so...tried bouldering tonight and am not sure it's my bag. I'm so used to the safety of being on belay that I'm afraid I'll think it's there when I fall.

My footing slipped tonight while traversing and I just about bashed my face against the wall!

Could have just been a bad night - I'll try it again...I think.

DonH

Jun 3, 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MTBZEN wrote:
Yeah...so...tried bouldering tonight and am not sure it's my bag. I'm so used to the safety of being on belay that I'm afraid I'll think it's there when I fall.

My footing slipped tonight while traversing and I just about bashed my face against the wall!

Could have just been a bad night - I'll try it again...I think.

thats what i love about it! no safety! i tried climbing the walls and liked it but i didnt get that adrenaline rush that i love....

sungam

Jun 3, 2011, 1:03 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MTBZEN wrote:
Don't worry, you won't be so lucky next time. It happens to (almost) everyone eventually. And everyone will laff.

And, uh, as for adrenaline etc... You newbs REALLY need to get outside.

jzlosman

Jun 3, 2011, 1:43 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fellow newb here. I'm really liking top roping but each time I go I spend some time at the bouldering area and it's becoming more and more enjoyable. I also go a couple days a week without a climbing partner and just traverse the gym and I think that is really helping me with bouldering and general on-the-wall technique.

I think you should definitely do a little bouldering each time you go in to the gym for TR.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook