RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

jzlosman

May 31, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3656 views)
Shortcut

cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I have two gyms in my area (Rochester NY, US Northeast). One is mostly TR with two small caves and the other is mostly caves with a topout boulder. I'm new to the sport and looking to put in work a few days a week and I was hoping to get some opinions.

Should I pay $10 per visit to TR at place A or $5 to boulder at place B? Or maybe a mix of the two?

Also be interested to hear your thoughts on which climbing type is better for noobs.

(This post was edited by jzlosman on May 31, 2011, 6:30 PM)

Colinhoglund

May 31, 2011, 6:54 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jzlosman] cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are both relatively cheap rates to climb in a gym. Mix it up, I've had a membership to one gym for over two years now, and I'm sick of it. If you go 50/50 then thats $7.50 a day, not bad considering most gyms I've seen are $15+ to climb at.

jzlosman

May 31, 2011, 7:00 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Colin.

I wasn't sure what was considered cheap or expensive but before I started dropping $30 a week I thought I would get some opinions.

lena_chita

May 31, 2011, 7:29 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

What kind of climbing appeals to YOU more? Do you have a climbing partner readily available for toproping, if you choose to go o the gym that has predominantly roped climbing?

Neither kind of climbing is inherently "better" for the beginner, but a lot depends on the particular gyms and the kind of routes/boulder problems they set up.

I would second the advice to go to both places for a while, until you get a sense for what you like and dislike about each place, and what sort of climbing you prefer.

jzlosman

May 31, 2011, 7:32 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice Lena. I am set to start climbing with my brother-in-law. I might be looking to climb more often than he is though, so I definitely think the recommended mix-up is the right thing to do. TR with him once a week and boulder on my own at the other joint on the other nights.

Right now it all excites me; I just want to be climbing.

(This post was edited by jzlosman on May 31, 2011, 7:35 PM)

taydude

May 31, 2011, 7:52 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jeremy, I'm a Rochester local. I would heavily recommend the Red Barn over Rock Ventures. And that's not just because I work at the Red Barn Wink. I've gone to Rock Ventures a handful of times and my experience was that they were not very polite or knowledgeable about climbing. You also have to deal with birthday parties there.

You can get a quarter membership at the Barn for $55 (10 weeks coinciding with RIT's class schedule). You may be able to get a cheaper rate if you go to one of the local universities. If you are serious about climbing this is where you want to be. The Red Barn is the center of the Rochester climbing community. The routes may be a little more difficult but they are put up by several very experienced setters. A little advice: some people at the barn are a little standoff-ish to strangers. This is a result of the nerdy tech school known as RIT. People have gotten used to new people being kinda creepy :P Just go in with a good attitude and you'll make friends fast. I'm going to be in a lot this summer. I'm the lanky kid with the buzz cut most likely dancing to Lady Gaga. Feel free to say hi Pirate

Climb On,
Taylor

TL;DR
Rock Ventures = Easy ladder walls covered in pizza grease and birthday parties
Red Barn = Real climbing and cool people

jzlosman

May 31, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Taylor. I'm a Roc native and RIT grad actually. For some reason though I never went to the Red Barn while I was there, which is disappointing in hind-sight. I've been to RV a few times now and it's pretty much how you describe it.

I'm heading to RV today to get some traversing in because I think Red Barn is closed for the summer break. I am definitely leaning towards Red Barn though as my main spot to climb.

Appreciate all of the feedback from the community on my first post. I think I'm going to like it here.

taydude

Jun 1, 2011, 2:37 AM
Post #8 of 14 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup no problem. The barn opens up next monday 5-10. You might be able to get the RIT rate if you have your alumni id. Then it's only $20 for the whole summer.

spiesbach22

Jun 1, 2011, 2:56 AM
Post #9 of 14 (3477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree Rock venture is.... not great to say the least.. the routes are OK
In reply to:
but i started climbing this past fall at the red barn and while i found it difficult to get started there since they do put up some pretty stiff graded problems within a few weeks i was able to start projecting some of easier ones and have seen some good improvement. It's cheep laid back and has some awsome climbs.. (I like the top out boulder the best)... I'd put my money there first and foremost hands down..

jzlosman

Jun 1, 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spiesbach22] cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I can get an 11-week semester long membership for $20 at RB that is definitely a go.

taydude

Jun 1, 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jzlosman wrote:
If I can get an 11-week semester long membership for $20 at RB that is definitely a go.

Best bet is to just flash your alumni card and most staff won't ask questions. We usually give the $20 rate to alumni that recently graduated and were regular members. I'm not sure if that's a special case or if we give the rate to all alumni. Either way just don't mention anything unless the staff ask Wink

djlachelt

Jun 1, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm driving my daughter to RIT this fall (from Colorado). She doesn't climb, but I do and after sitting in a car for 1600 miles I'll definitely want to do some climbing.

When we visited the campus this winter the place was closed so I didn't get to see it. Hopefully I can get in there when we drop her off. I take it from this conversation that I can just pay a drop-in rate?

-Jon

jzlosman

Jun 1, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

djlachelt wrote:
I take it from this conversation that I can just pay a drop-in rate?

$5 for non-RIT students/alumni
$2 shoe rental

More Info: http://www.rit.edu/...res_rockclimbing.php

taydude

Jun 8, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] cheap bouldering vs not-so-cheap TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

djlachelt wrote:
I'm driving my daughter to RIT this fall (from Colorado). She doesn't climb, but I do and after sitting in a car for 1600 miles I'll definitely want to do some climbing.

When we visited the campus this winter the place was closed so I didn't get to see it. Hopefully I can get in there when we drop her off. I take it from this conversation that I can just pay a drop-in rate?

-Jon

The Barn has weird hours, 5-10 m-f and 1-6 sat&sun. Unfortunately it's not going to be open during the move in dates. All of the staff are students so it's generally not open until the first day of classes. Normally I'd offer to let you in and climb but the manager never has the new school year's waivers printed that early. Last time I let someone in during orientation week I got yelled at Crazy.

I'm assuming your daughter is a freshman? There are going to be free climbing nights during the orientation week. She should come check the place out.

(This post was edited by taydude on Jun 8, 2011, 5:42 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook