RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Rabit536

Jun 9, 2011, 5:05 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've kinda been out of the loop for about fifteen years (South Jersey has no rock). Started to get new gear again and remembered how much everything cost. I think that most of my climbing is going to be in a gym for now, at least untill I refresh and find some partners and routes.

My question is...Has/Does anyone climb with beach/sand shoes, and if so, will it throw you off much. I'm not made out of money and I need to replace almost all my gear. I'm gonna have to buy a little at a time and shoes arent really on the top of my list.

rtwilli4

Jun 9, 2011, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rabit536] Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can pretty much climb in anything you want. Try out anything you think might work and see what you like best.

FWIW, you can usually find cheap shoes and sometimes free (if you pay shipping) on MountainProject.com

aprice00

Jun 9, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Rabit536 wrote:
I've kinda been out of the loop for about fifteen years (South Jersey has no rock). Started to get new gear again and remembered how much everything cost. I think that most of my climbing is going to be in a gym for now, at least untill I refresh and find some partners and routes.

My question is...Has/Does anyone climb with beach/sand shoes, and if so, will it throw you off much. I'm not made out of money and I need to replace almost all my gear. I'm gonna have to buy a little at a time and shoes arent really on the top of my list.

If you are starting in a gym all you need is shoes and chalk. Chalk is cheap and you dont even need a bag. For now just improvised. With that said find some shoes on craigslist or ebay for around $50. If thats too much now rent shoes from the gym ($3) until you can afford them. Ive never tried to climb in water shoes but I cant imagine that they would be better than going barefoot.

Dont worry about a rope or harness for about a year. Most anybody that takes you out will have this stuff. You can usually rent harnesses from gyms for about $5.

Climbing is a relatively inexpensive sport and you can usually find deals to get you started.
I should probably mention that you should have an experienced climber check out any used equiptment before you buy/use.
I'd be realy hesitant to by a used rope.
Harnesses should be good if they are <3 yrs old with no frayed webbing or busted stitching.
As far as Shoes go, try to find a reputable brand but basically anything that fits. You'll likely burn through your first pair in < a year so you can go cheap on these.

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Troll? You supposedly climbed before, and you still ask... hmmm...

When my daughter was a toddler, climbing only very very occasionally (mostly hanging on the rope swinging), it didn't make sense to buy her climbing shoes, so she did climb in those water shoes, because she already had them. She also climbed in regular sneakers. As soon as she got a pair of real climbing shoes, she knew what was better. If a 6yo could tell the differerence, then an adult would be able to... maybe?

If you have those beach shoes, and don't want to take my word for it, just go to the climbing gym and try climbing in them. If you like the results, and don't mind people laughing behind your back, go for it.

michael1245

Jun 9, 2011, 5:52 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just don't climb in those "finger" shoes. I've seen more than one dude try them out in the gym and once on the rock...your little piggies will thank you.

Rabit536

Jun 9, 2011, 5:56 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should probably explain a little more. I'm an avid climber. Lived in Mass, and Tx (used to be a lot of rock and bridges to scale with friends. Hometown is South Jersey and came back to find nothing to climb. I'm trying to get back in the game and bond with my son (16). Climbing seemed to get his attention. I have some gear, ex.harness, biners, atc, rope...all new but...no gear for him. I figure a swiss seat will work for now but, after paying all the bills around the house it only leaves me with a few bucks to spare and being short on any amount of cash, I want to find some cheap alternatives while I save. After all I dont want to spend a lot on gear if he loses interest.

As far as rental equipment goes, shoes at "go vertical" (local gym, about an hour away) cost $6 and dont fit right. It cost me $54 for one day...kinda hurt my pocket... being able to knock $12 off that bill just by using cheap shoes will definately help. The harness for him is $4 rental, so if we go off peak it will only run me $34 for the session. It's more of a "will beach shoes work well enough for now" question. It's really more about how much money I can not have to spend right now.

Thanx

Rabit536

Jun 9, 2011, 6:28 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was 15 when I started to climb in Mass. Didn't have my own gear then. 17-19 in Tx and just started to make money for gear (this gumby bought un-needed pro). I never climbed in low grade equip. Lost everything when I got back home. I'm 35 now. They say the memory is the first thing to go.

edge

Jun 9, 2011, 6:37 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, what size do you take? I have some slightly used sized 46 or 47 (12-13 US) shoes that I might be able to send your way if they fit you.

Rabit536

Jun 9, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
So, what size do you take? I have some slightly used sized 46 or 47 (12-13 US) shoes that I might be able to send your way if they fit you.
I wear size 9-10 US. My son is a size 12-13 though.
If you want to send them I'd appriciate it, anything helps...and if they don't fit I can always send them back.

edge

Jun 9, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rabit536 wrote:
edge wrote:
I wear size 9-10 US. My son is a size 12-13 though.
If you want to send them I'd appriciate it, anything helps...and if they don't fit I can always send them back.

I'm hoping I can find them; I'll look tonight.

robmcc

Jun 12, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rabit536 wrote:
It's more of a "will beach shoes work well enough for now" question. It's really more about how much money I can not have to spend right now.

You can climb in anything. I've climbed in 3 different brands of climbing shoes, tennis shoes, martial arts shoes (with pretty slick soles) and no shoes. Yes, some work better than others, and climbing shoes work best of all, but if you can't get your hands on climbing shoes, you still have options. My kids all climb, and I only recently bought them climbing shoes. I've always told them I want to see that they're really into it before spending that kind of money.

Oh, and I've seen people climb in those Vibram Five Fingers. They appear to work ok, and I bet make your "piggies" really strong. I think they look kinda stupid, but I seem to be in the minority on that. Go on any kind of large group run, and you're sure to see people wearing them.

shockabuku

Jun 13, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robmcc] Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robmcc wrote:
...those Vibram Five Fingers. ... I think they look kinda stupid...

And then some.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Jun 13, 2011, 4:56 PM)

spikeddem

Jun 13, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
robmcc wrote:

And then some.

and then some more

michael1245

Jun 13, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
robmcc wrote:

And then some.

and then some more

they have a purpose. I've seen guys climb in them and it didn't go too well. In the gym, they couldn't get on a lot of the holds and it was really painful for the guy using them. Outside was a disaster. The guy did better with his sneakers.

darkgift06

Jun 14, 2011, 6:45 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michael1245] Beach shoes vs. Climbing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Royal Robbins used to climb in tennis shoes all the time....

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook