Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Apr 18, 2011, 6:15 AM
Post #26 of 34 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Pretty Legs and Feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
I am always bruised and cut too. It dosn't bother me, I wear pants if it's too bad to shave.

Arnica will bring out the bruise quicker if you want things to clear before a special event.

For scars I have had success with a wound/scar on my face from ice climbing with a product called Mebo burn repair www.acesshealthcare.co.nz( no idea if you can get it overseas). It's all natural smells like sesame oil but my pharmacist rated it over the other products.(it may just be the rubbing it in helped keep blood flow up but I use it on all sorts of scratches and scars and it seems to help.)

Thanks for the advice on products. I have tried arnica and it does help with bruises.
I will look into the other products.

enigma

Apr 18, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #27 of 34 (2612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Pretty Legs and Feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
Fashion is communication. Like the words you use in a post and the manner in which you speak, you are communicating visually with others around you about what you think.

On Friday, I helped my wife at a craft fair. She was selling her jewelry and after we first setup my wife was very aware that she was not having many people stop by to see the wares she had laid out on the table. Many of the first visitors were stopping to admire the wreaths of candy that were being sold next to us. My wife commented that maybe the problem was that she wasn’t fat enough. Looking around the room, it was clear that visually my wife stood out. It wasn’t our skin color, it was our weight. I was also the only man in the room. Clearly we were physically in a place where we were socially not acceptable.

I joked to my wife that while we stick out a little, wait until she takes her sweater off and shows off her guns. Unlike everyone else in the room, my wife has a bulge on top of her arms and not below. What was in fashion in the room was being short at fat with more effort put into the hair than has been put into a gym. In my opinion, tall, slim, and jacked is better, but I was really in the minority in that room. The people in that room chose to look the way they looked, they may not have made a conscious decision to be fat, but they daily make decisions about how much exercise they get and if they are going to spend their money on a gym membership or jeans that are 2 sizes too small.

Ann kept her sweater on, not because of fashion or to help sales but because it was cold. The woman with the candy made some sales early to the people who were most eager to see what was for sale at the craft fair. Soon the woman next to us was sitting with her laptop checking facebook and playing some gawd offal music. Me, I was selling. And selling and working. Ann makes beautiful, but not cheap, jewelry and our sales were not about selling many $5 pieces but a few $70 pieces. Eventually, some women stopped by who knew the value of what we were selling. One piece we had on the table for $165 would probably go for $900 in Borshiem’s. We sold them some pieces and “made our table” and just those few women made the difference between a good show and a waste of time.

I didn’t know that we would have some people who stopped by who knew what we had, but I hoped. I sold what we had brought to the best of my ability. Ann isn’t going to change the type of jewelry she is makes, especially at a show. She makes what she likes and we spend the effort trying to find customers who think the way we do rather than trying to convince everyone.

Which is a really, really, really long parable for saying it is easier, and better, to find people who like what you have (bruises and all) than it is to try to change to fit their expectations.

Its just very hot in california, and in the summer I wear dresses. Sometimes its nice not to have to wear stockings.
You know, how much you like to bare your legs. Wink

Nice story.

granite_grrl

Apr 18, 2011, 1:09 PM
Post #28 of 34 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Pretty Legs and Feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I have a scar about 5" long from the removal of a bone tumor in my tibia. I used "Mederma" (available at CVS) to minimize the appearance of the scar. It worked really well.
Also, scars fade pretty good.

If they were caused by bad healing, bad stitching, bad incision making, there are things that a plastic surgeon can help with. Not talking about massive overhauls, but I've had cortisone shots in a couple of scars to break down some scar tissue that was causing me pain.

pinguinouno

Apr 21, 2011, 2:30 AM
Post #29 of 34 (2528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Pretty Legs and Feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed! Ann is a great lady!!! Thanks for the insight Gordon :)

kickasssoprano

Apr 25, 2011, 3:33 AM
Post #30 of 34 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Pretty Legs and Feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Kartessa. I was born with psoriasis so I've always had very visible red lesions on my legs (actually, over 90% of my body- all but my face). For most of my life, I didn't wear shorts or short skirts without pantyhose. When I was in my early twenties, I started doing Muay Thai (Thai style kickboxing) and had to wear Thai shorts- this was an adjustment, but eventually, I got used to it. Hard training resulted in large dark bruises on each shin. Rather than making me self conscious, I was proud of my bruises, because they were like badges of honour and I finally began to not give a s&*t what other people thought and began to wear what ever the h&ll I wanted to wear! I don't really notice the cuts, bruises and blemishes I get from fighting/ climbing.

That being said, you feel the way you feel and you are comfortable with what you are comfortable with- I have found that MAC makes a really good concealer (I had to use it after a rough sparring session left me with a black eye) Also, there are some really good tinted moisturizers that can cover up bruises that aren't too dark. Other than that, wear your scars with pride! you earned them and trust me, it could be much, much worse.

enigma

Jun 9, 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #31 of 34 (2349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Pretty Legs and Feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
enigma wrote:
rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
Why can't my climbers , bike legs stay nice? Maybe someone out there knows a solution? Is it possible?

I'm a guy and here's my point of view on the problem and the solution. It seems to me that they're both in your own head.

If climbing and biking make you feel proud, let it shine through the rest of your life. You worked hard getting those muscles and scars. I'll bet every scar tells a story. Why don't you tell the stories to the people who notice? Keep an internal smile on your face.

Ultimately, no-one can give you confidence and self-esteem. You have to generate that yourself and the way to do it is through accomplishments. Climb hard. Bike fast. Pay more attention to what YOU DO, than to what THEY THINK.

If you're thin-skinned (some of your posts come across that way) there's probably a tendency to take normal guy office teasing way too personally. Guys tease one-another all the time and sometimes brutally. I won't tell you the crazy things they used to say about my hands. Then they go out and have a beer together. You say you're in a guy environment. Remember that they don't always mean what they say the way you take it. Performance always matters to guys more than talk.

Yes, I wear suits and ties and hang out with a lot of other people who do the same.

Well, you sound like you empathize. Thanks.

However, when you get dressed up , no one seems to to think scars, sores, are pretty nonetheless.
Well, I think you're missing the point we're all making then.

Vitamin A ,D an E oil works great , my skin looks fresh and glowing now !

KristinaC

Jun 21, 2011, 1:07 AM
Post #32 of 34 (2278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Pretty Legs and Feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a first-time climber this year, I'm definitely banged up at a record level. I had a routine dermatology appointment and asked the doctor how to make the cuts and sores heal faster and she said to keep them greasy, like with Vaseline or Aquaphor. I also was thinking about knee pads, and saw that Heather Robinson had some non-obtrusive ones on in this video: http://www.prana.com/blog/tag/heather-robinson/.

Also, Sally Hansen makes a product called Airbrush Legs that softens the red spots nicely if you just want to tone it down. But overall, I'm with all y'all--it's a point of pride to be out there living life in such a positive way and having a few scars to prove it is kinda cool. I've even taken pictures after getting home and sent them to my climbing buddies. Smile

wiki

Jun 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #33 of 34 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hahhahahaha

I show off my scratches, bruises leg hair and callouses...

I have hairy-belly-button competitions with my guy friends... I often win...

I can't advise you... sorry... We come from completely different worlds...

All I can say is... enjoy the miracle that is your body... that bruise is millions of platelets coming together to heal a wound under your skin... tht callous is your body adapting to a friction point on your foot or hand... instead of bleeding, it just grows some more armour... you can't stop it.... as long as that little irritation keeps happening, your body will fix it... be proud of who you are... you are a climber... this is what happens when you are out in the world...

And OMG my hands... I soooooo need a manicure LOL

klopik

Jul 19, 2011, 6:15 PM
Post #34 of 34 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bruise super easily, so my legs are generally covered in bruises. In the summer, I wear skirts on the weird days when my legs are not too bruised up, in the winter I just wear stockings.

Now, the feet is a different issues. I think perhaps going for professional pedicures for a little while should take care of that? I am an ex-ballet dancer, and my feet are pretty messed up from that, but I get a pedicure every two weeks or so, and even though I climb regularly my feet look really pretty, with pink toenails and all :)

My hands are also very callused. My arms are often covered with little scars and scrapes. So what? My husband is actually proud of that, since its a sign that we were doing something fun.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook