Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johnwesely

Jun 10, 2011, 6:20 PM
Post #26 of 38 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
"Send" is a more inclusive term than redpoint and can be applied to top-roping.

"Redpoint" means you climbed it on lead without falling after previous attempts.

"Flash" - climb on lead first attempt without falling, having received beta

"Onsight" - Same as flash, but no beta

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.
Well, you don't climb on Southern Sandstone.

*Sits back and awaits the confoozion*

So confused.
Mwahahaha! Google it.

I wouldn't toprope there either.

TarHeelEMT

Jun 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #27 of 38 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe:

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.

Generally speaking, people who barely grasp the basics of climbing shouldn't be answering questions on the beginners' forum.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2487358;#2487358

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=2505160;#2505160

roninthorne

Jun 11, 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #28 of 38 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

I would never in a million years say I sent something that I had top roped.

You can, though... you just have to throw away the line, oh-so-casual, that Peter Croft once told you that toproping was as close to free soloing as you can get. I've heard this one a dozen times out of a few climbers i know.... always worth a snort of derision...

aprice00

Jun 13, 2011, 5:14 PM
Post #29 of 38 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:
Is it called "sending" a route even if you fell in the process of getting to the top?
(Or, is there some other term for climbing a route even though you've fallen in the process?)

"Sending" = successfully climbing to the top of a route, no matter how many times you fell

"Redpointing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route without falling, after failing to do so before

"Flashing" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, after only observing someone else climb it

"On-Sighting" = successfully climbing to the top of a route on your first attempt, without falling, and without first observing someone else climb it

To Send is to Ascend bottom to Top. The term does not apply any contengensies on how. Anything more is trying to force meaning onto the word (Ad Hoc?). There are plenty of terms (Redpoint, flash, on-sight) that describe specifics on how. If you need to convey how, use those.

You could argue that hangdogging up a route is sending. I dont know why you would... but It could be argued that you asceded the route.

The one thing that is not "Sending" is slacklineing. Im not going to call someone out on it but you'll never hear me use send this way.

Generally speaking, people who barely grasp the basics of climbing shouldn't be answering questions on the beginners' forum.

Even if your assesment was correct. You are siteing my technical understanding of rope systems and I'm pretty sure this was a teminology question.

Not saying im an expert on terminology I just think its pretentious to think that you can force meaning on a word just because you want it to be exclusive.

As in "He tottaly didn't send that route it was on a TR"

Climbing is about personal achievment, not stacking your ability against others. So who gives a shit if you concider your TR a send.

If you want to convey how you climbed a route you have on-sight, redpoint, pinkpoint, flash....

IMO its each climbers perogative how they define a send.

It just dawned on me TarHeelEMT.... dont you Aid? You have an A2 on your Acent log and Im pretty sure you had to weight gear on that one.

So the question is.. Do you concider a hangdog a send?

sungam

Jun 13, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #30 of 38 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, because aid climbing and claiming a send on a free route you hung on in the same. Clearly the aim that you set out with has nothing to do with whether or not you succeeded - and the term "send" is usually very close to synonymous with "success" (or some tense/whatever thereof).

TarHeelEMT

Jun 13, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #31 of 38 (2072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:

Even if your assesment was correct. You are siteing my technical understanding of rope systems and I'm pretty sure this was a teminology question.

Not saying im an expert on terminology I just think its pretentious to think that you can force meaning on a word just because you want it to be exclusive.

Climbing is about personal achievment, not stacking your ability against others. So who gives a shit if you concider your TR a send.

If you want to convey how you climbed a route you have on-sight, redpoint, pinkpoint, flash....

It just dawned on me TarHeelEMT.... dont you Aid? You have an A2 on your Acent log and Im pretty sure you had to weight gear on that one.

You met your fail quota for the day in a single post. Impressive.

olderic

Jun 13, 2011, 5:45 PM
Post #32 of 38 (2067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:

Actually your "understanding of rope systems" or not has little to do with your epic fail status here. You established that out of the chute when you claimed that "send" was derived from "ascend". That certainly cemented your pampered suburban white boy status but didn't do much for your street cred....

TarHeelEMT

Jun 13, 2011, 5:48 PM
Post #33 of 38 (2066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite irony here is that I'm one of the people who argued that "send" can apply to routes climbed on top rope.

I don't know for certain, though. It's hard to pick just one favorite.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Jun 13, 2011, 5:49 PM)

aprice00

Jun 13, 2011, 6:19 PM
Post #34 of 38 (2051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
My favorite irony here is that I'm one of the people who argued that "send" can apply to routes climbed on top rope.

No irony, I wrote that with the understanding that you and I have the same definition of send. My stance though is one's measure of send/success is soverign and should be preserved.

Partner cracklover

Jun 13, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #35 of 38 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

No irony, I wrote that with the understanding that you and I have the same definition of send. My stance though is one's measure of send/success is soverign and should be preserved.

Sure, you're free to have whatever delusions you like. But when you present an apple to the world, and you say "this is a banana" we are free to laugh in your face.

GO

kachoong

Jun 13, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #36 of 38 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] TERMINOLOGY QUESTION: "Sending" a Route? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:

Sure, you're free to have whatever delusions you like. But when you present an apple to the world, and you say "this is a banana" we are free to laugh in your face.

GO

That reminds me of that movie The Invention of Lying. Funny movie.

spikeddem

Jun 13, 2011, 7:26 PM
Post #37 of 38 (2018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
Learner wrote:

You met your fail quota for the day in a single post. Impressive.

bahahah!!

bearbreeder

Jun 13, 2011, 7:32 PM
Post #38 of 38 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its funny ... when some kid says "i sent this 11b" ...

i usually ask "nice, did you lead it?"

sometimes theyll say "yeah" ... then i say "awesome job"

often theyll say "i did it on TR and thats a send" ... then i say "you should lead it for a send" ... sometimes they do get a bit mad at that point and argue TRing is sending, even if not clean

the best is when they say "i onsighted it" ... while their buddies are giving beta and theyre on TR

not that it really matters at the end of the day ... some people will always inflate their style and grades, its their own business ... until they start bragging about it to everyone around you ...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook