RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

eric_k

Jun 11, 2011, 5:12 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Mountain Goats
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife and I just got back from a few days in Leavenworth WA. We visited the Pearly Gates crag once and as soon as we got there were surrounded by at least 8 Mountain Goats. My wife decided she did not want to belay me while Goats were bucking heads a few feet away. As we left the biggest one charged at us a few times and followed us 3/4 the way down the trail. Have any of you experienced this? What have you done, do they every go away?

edited to fix spelling
Eric

(This post was edited by eric_k on Jun 11, 2011, 5:12 AM)

TarHeelEMT

Jun 11, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eric_k] Mountain Goats [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was on the trail headed down from Mt Olympus when a goat was coming up the trail. He was never aggressive, except that he damned sure demanded right of way and didn't even slow down.

That same trip we had a confrontation with a bull elk who decided the trail was a great spot to loiter.

gerrybo

Jun 11, 2011, 2:15 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eric_k wrote:
My wife and I just got back from a few days in Leavenworth WA. We visited the Pearly Gates crag once and as soon as we got there were surrounded by at least 8 Mountain Goats. My wife decided she did not want to belay me while Goats were bucking heads a few feet away. As we left the biggest one charged at us a few times and followed us 3/4 the way down the trail. Have any of you experienced this? What have you done, do they every go away?

edited to fix spelling
Eric
The Mountain Goats in leavenworth do get a little touchy feely sometimes. Usually if you go pee they will leave you alone.

lofstromc

Jun 11, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gerrybo] Mountain Goats [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They do like urine for some reason. If you leave a little squirt for them they may leave you alone next time.

areyoumydude

Jun 11, 2011, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lofstromc] Mountain Goats [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lofstromc wrote:
They do like urine for some reason. If you leave a little squirt for them they may leave you alone next time.

They like it because of the salt and they will rip up vegetation to get to it. It is best to pee on rocks or in a stream.

jbro_135

Jun 12, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Mountain Goats [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A guy I climbed with at the red has a pet goat he brings to the crag, I wonder how it would get along with the mountain goats....

malieka

Jun 13, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not familiar with WA, but your post reminded me of an article I saw last October about a hiker killed by a mountain goat...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/10/hiker-killed-by-mountain-goat-in-washingtons-olympic-national-park.html

So very sad! A few months earlier, my roommate had a "run-in" with goats while backpacking in WA (not sure where). Thankfully her story was funny rather than tragic.

boymeetsrock

Jun 13, 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [malieka] Mountain Goats [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was sitting on top of North Maroon, when a mother goat and two kids came up the ridge and joined me on the summit. They stood not 15 feet from me for a good ten or more minutes before they moved off.

She was never aggressive and the kids were probably oblivious. I could see the ripples of muscles trough her fur.

Had she even winked at me I probably would have jumped over the side of the mountain ! Shocked

There was a group of about six grazing to the side of the trail on the way down. Again, no aggression. But I still wouldn't want to tangle with one.

enigma

Jun 14, 2011, 8:03 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Mountain Goats [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
I was sitting on top of North Maroon, when a mother goat and two kids came up the ridge and joined me on the summit. They stood not 15 feet from me for a good ten or more minutes before they moved off.

She was never aggressive and the kids were probably oblivious. I could see the ripples of muscles trough her fur.

Had she even winked at me I probably would have jumped over the side of the mountain ! Shocked

There was a group of about six grazing to the side of the trail on the way down. Again, no aggression. But I still wouldn't want to tangle with one.

I know this tale, 3 Billy Goats Gruff from Norway,with kids?
I laughed when I read this thread!

My suggestion is leave them alone, in Leavenworth.

I'm sure they will hurt you,
or even kill you next time!

Nice touch adding Pearly Gates! +4
obtw better if its true story. good thread

(This post was edited by enigma on Jun 14, 2011, 8:38 AM)

Maleficent

Jun 19, 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe im breaching some sort of secret climbing protocol here.. but if i ever go treking into a remote area.. especially in a state with bears i always bring a pistol.. i would never try and provoke an animal, if its menacing i'll find an alternate route, but i'll be damned if i'll let a surly mountain goat end my life, who the hell do you think you are goat? Climbing where you can pretty much park and walk a few miles is a different story, normally no need.

but yea i've never had that issue, ran into a few bobcats, roaming elk heards but was never charged at. maybe you had "the scent" eh? :P that goat liked him some eric K and wife. Would the whole make yourself taller bit work with mountain goats? i know they say if you see a bobcat have your partner climb on your shoulders so you appear very large. between the pee and enlargement tactic ONE should work :)

(This post was edited by Maleficent on Jun 19, 2011, 11:22 PM)

dynosore

Jun 20, 2011, 1:40 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maleficent] Mountain Goats [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I'd have any concern at all is in the fall when they're rutting. I carry my 41 mag when law allows, and I have been bluff charged by a griz, but not while climbing. The only time I ever felt in danger for my life was a rogue old bull buffalo in Yellowstone backcountry that was determined to track me down and stomp me. I chased away a lynx in northern Canada one night with an axe. Fun times Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook