RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

blueeyedclimber

Jun 14, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4858 views)
Shortcut

General the new Regional?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

What's with all the regional threads in general lately? I understand that probably more people will see them, but if we are going to do that then why have a regional section?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...orum_view_collapsed;

Just wondering.

Josh

Partner devkrev

Jun 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I lost my clipstick at the Red, I definitely wouldn't be thinking rationally enough to post in the right forum...

blueeyedclimber

Jun 14, 2011, 1:45 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
If I lost my clipstick at the Red, I definitely wouldn't be thinking rationally enough to post in the right forum...

Good thing you didn't lose your binkie and your blankie.Tongue

Josh

Partner epoch

Jun 14, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd ask the same thing too. The issue is that we really don't have regional forums that would work. The only thing that shows any resemblance to something like this is the Climbing Partners forums and they are only sorted for areas in the US, all of Canada and then everyone else.

A real problem with the current Regional forum setup is that it is not sorted at all. So, unless you were able to have a script or program running that would access the database and sort it by the region you are interested in, you'll get all of the data. The current Regional forum is broke the way it is. Yes, it work on a posting sense, but being able to be sorted by region it is not. The idea behind the Regional forum was for all the data to be kept there, but accessed via the individual area pages. Quite a PITA, IMHO.

Yes, I agree that these threads could be sorted better, but there really is nowhere for them to be adequately sorted with the current layout that we have here. I've suggested it in the M&E forum, and I'll leave this thread here in the General forum for now until or until it turns into a proper suggestions thread.

For now, though, the aforementioned threads will receive the most traffic where they are.

donald949

Jun 14, 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #5 of 13 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the fact that if I'm cruising through a crag in the routes area the posts come up. But other wise the regional section of the Forums section is a bit blorted. It would also be nice to have a regional area where you could put general type questions. IE I'm headed to Idaho Falls what's the climbing scene like there where to pick up partners?

donald949

Jun 14, 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #6 of 13 (4756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Link:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2494226#2494226

Partner epoch

Jun 15, 2011, 5:35 AM
Post #7 of 13 (4708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
I like the fact that if I'm cruising through a crag in the routes area the posts come up. But other wise the regional section of the Forums section is a bit blorted. It would also be nice to have a regional area where you could put general type questions. IE I'm headed to Idaho Falls what's the climbing scene like there where to pick up partners?
Yes

donald949

Jun 15, 2011, 9:21 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Yes
Is gen the new S&F too?

mojomonkey

Jun 30, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump since general is looking pretty regional at the moment. And yes, general is the new S&F. Posts in S&F get moved to community. It is all very confusing.

kachoong

Jul 1, 2011, 2:53 AM
Post #10 of 13 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
Bump since general is looking pretty regional at the moment. And yes, general is the new S&F. Posts in S&F get moved to community. It is all very confusing.

You say this like it's something the greenies have control over. Users posts will always dictate any subsequent action.

mojomonkey

Jul 1, 2011, 1:58 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] General the new Regional? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
mojomonkey wrote:

You say this like it's something the greenies have control over. Users posts will always dictate any subsequent action.

xmesox should add a filter so that nobody that meets any of these conditions can post in general:
1) registered within 24 hours
2) trying to post something with title starting with "lost", "stuck", "looking for", "partner", "hello", or "introducing"
3) user name starts with "bearbreeder"

There are probably other rules to add, but that should be a good start.

edge

Jul 1, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #12 of 13 (4500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:
mojomonkey wrote:

xmesox should add a filter so that nobody that meets any of these conditions can post in general:
2) trying to post something with title starting with "lost", "stuck", "looking for", "partner", "hello", or "introducing"

Back when I first became a mod we were getting multiple spam posts daily for "Free Ipods."

I suggested a filter, which was implimented, that changed "Free Ipods" to "painfull rectal itch."

It cut down substantially on the spam. Would something like that work?

kachoong

Jul 1, 2011, 2:46 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
kachoong wrote:
mojomonkey wrote:

Definitely would be a good start. With the way Regional was made it's tough to "re-direct" all those threads but your filter idea is a good one. For new users it could be handy for them to get an entry page when clicking on General for the first couple of times asking them if their question could be better placed somewhere else. Sometimes a sticky just isn't enough.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook