Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maleficent

Jun 14, 2011, 2:18 AM
Post #1 of 37 (8019 views)
Shortcut

Living on the road/climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just want some opinions or insight. Thinking very seriously about hitting the road soon. I dont have my direction totally planned out but i would be headed to California first, once it gets too cold maybe into Nevada. Figured i'd stay in a state park/tent and try to hook up with the local climbing community, maybe land an odd job part time. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time, basically just live for climbing, hitting this place or that, for a year, who konws.

Just wondering if anyone has done this, if so is it fairly easy to actually get a steady partner? And if maybe anyone knows about some community that i could get in touch with to actually talk to someone before i head that way. The best i've come up with is that most places have a bulletin board near the park rangers office, here you'd be able to find people in need of partners etc etc. I have a friend that stays in North Cal so i wouldnt be totally on my own per se. Its a big change and leap of faith i feel like but wow, what an adventure right? So, like i said, im open for comments, opinions, or insight. Thanks.

(This post was edited by Maleficent on Jun 14, 2011, 2:24 AM)

reaeper

Jun 14, 2011, 2:25 AM
Post #2 of 37 (8008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maleficent] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I honestly have this same question. I want to do this eventually, but I have no idea how either. Good Luck though, hopefully we'll get some good advice.

guangzhou

Jun 14, 2011, 3:38 AM
Post #3 of 37 (7977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Twice I've hit the road. First time was 9 months, the second time was 13 months.

What kind of questions do you have?

Camping, for sure, but I avoided parks in general. I preferred to camp in National Forest and on public land because it's free.

A good tent, or vehicle you can sleep in is fine. Pick-up with camper or van.

I preferred using a two burner stove and some cheap kitchen supplies instead of the camping stuff for day to day life.

On the longer trip, I did some occasional jobs, nothing more than two weeks at a time. I even did a medical clinical study in Austin. Last ten days and made almost 2000 USD. (PHarmaco)

Wat are your questions?

potreroed

Jun 14, 2011, 4:01 AM
Post #4 of 37 (7971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I lived out of my truck for almost 10 years, seeking out the free or cheap camping.

I rarely had trouble finding partners although I also did a lot of roped and unroped soloing.

Just get out there and do it, but remember that, like anything else in life, there's going to be ups and downs. Your best friend is going to be a good sense of humor.

Maleficent

Jun 14, 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #5 of 37 (7914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did you go, and how was your trips in general? Lot of climbing or sparse?

Did you stay in one spot or move around with the weather changes. Overall would you say its eady to meet climbers on the road?

Maleficent

Jun 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #6 of 37 (7913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Roped as in self belayed or just lead in general. Where did your travels take you? Like i mentioned above i think id want to start in cali, then nevada but my interests extend all the way to canada.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #7 of 37 (7903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whether you will find pick up partners is partly dependent on the locale, but mainly on you and your ability to seek and arrange, show up and be worth climbing with. This means both proficiency-wise as well as personality-wise.

If you aren't the kind of climber who can show up at a crag, spark a conversation, and hold your own in climbing, then.....hooking up on the spot will probably prove frustrating to you, except in the most popular destination spots(where people are often traveling solo and looking for partners).

If you have access to the internet, via moblie broadband or your phone, then you can post/respond to partner requests on the climbing forums. For that, I have found rc.com the most fruitful, and Mountain Project in 2nd place. But - you really need to be "on it" to make these connections. You have to be able to go back and forth with the others until you can get a phone number, so if you can only access email at, say, a library on the hour you have access to their computer.... it will be difficult.

Your need for sociability, and your ability to set up social relationships, will affect your happiness on an extended road trip. Me? I can go a week without talking to anyone and not miss a beat. And I can spark up conversations with just about anyone, on some level. And, if I can't climb, I am just as happy going on a photo hike, sitting in camp reading, doing artwork, or whatever. Too much time around almost anyone, and particularly groups, gets me overwhelmed. So I do well on the road. Besides, I have a dog and even though he's not a human, he's very good companionship, and also introduces me to a lot of people.

Most people need more social interaction than what I do, and if that is you, just know that it will be on you to make it happen. Look at the way your life is now for an indication - Are you able to quickly befriend random strangers - at least enough for a day of social interaction(that would be climbing). Do you get ALONG with people? Can you roll with the situations you are in, or is there friction because either you act in ways that irks others, or others irk you, which causes you to get ugly? Are you able to coordinate with others, find destinations without an epic on the way and show up on time, or are you always calling on the cel because you are on Such and Such STREET and they are on Such and Such Avenue?

.....Go on the road. Even if it is different than what you expect(and it will be), it is sure to be an adventure.

potreroed

Jun 14, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #8 of 37 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maleficent wrote:
Roped as in self belayed or just lead in general. Where did your travels take you? Like i mentioned above i think id want to start in cali, then nevada but my interests extend all the way to canada.

A fair amount of self-belayed climbing, always on lead.

I was based out of Wisconsin where I would spend most of the summer (had the free camping dialed in) then a typical year would have me going west to South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Mexico. One year I also got up to Idaho and Oregon and another year I went south and east to Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Georgia, Arkansas but it rained everywhere I went so I didn't do that again.

Except for a few short breaks for family stuff, when I wasn't actually traveling I was climbing. Lots of climbing.

Maleficent

Jun 14, 2011, 5:25 PM
Post #9 of 37 (7817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's pretty cool, lotta states on that list. Favorite?
I think the first outing I'd want to include colorado for sure, if I can find a partner perhaps look into some of those more technical climbs in Rifle.

I guess the general idea of devoting time strictly to climbing is desireable to me, that and cutting lose of the normal every day grind, getting out and seeing different cities and mountains, trying a different kind of life style ya know.

Maleficent

Jun 14, 2011, 5:30 PM
Post #10 of 37 (7816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very good points happie. I can be socialable and 95% of the time I'm very laid back and easy going, I seem to be able to blend in and go with the flow in any group so in that respect I think I'd do well. Being alone would get lonely but I think if I fill it with climbing and maybe 2 days of work a week I'd be just fine. I think the first few months would be the most difficult until I found some locals to hook up with. y

donald949

Jun 14, 2011, 6:28 PM
Post #11 of 37 (7790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maleficent wrote:
Just want some opinions or insight. Thinking very seriously about hitting the road soon. I dont have my direction totally planned out but i would be headed to California first, once it gets too cold maybe into Nevada. Figured i'd stay in a state park/tent and try to hook up with the local climbing community, maybe land an odd job part time. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time, basically just live for climbing, hitting this place or that, for a year, who konws.

Just wondering if anyone has done this, if so is it fairly easy to actually get a steady partner? And if maybe anyone knows about some community that i could get in touch with to actually talk to someone before i head that way. The best i've come up with is that most places have a bulletin board near the park rangers office, here you'd be able to find people in need of partners etc etc. I have a friend that stays in North Cal so i wouldnt be totally on my own per se. Its a big change and leap of faith i feel like but wow, what an adventure right? So, like i said, im open for comments, opinions, or insight. Thanks.
Once you hit the road you will find that there are a fair number of other lifestyle, aka dirtbag, climbers. They will be hanging around the popular climbing areas, so as to also hook up with partners.
Its called living the dream.

Maleficent

Jun 14, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #12 of 37 (7760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow dirtbag as in an actual dirtbag or that's just their coined phrase name,

donald949

Jun 14, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #13 of 37 (7740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maleficent wrote:
Wow dirtbag as in an actual dirtbag or that's just their coined phrase name,
Not actual dirtbags, unless one starts pinching gear.
But what you are proposing to do is called living the the dream, aka lifestyle climber. AKA, Dirtbag Climber, either out of respect or jelousy, depending on the attitude of the name caller.
There is a whole community out there. Hit the road and you will join their ranks. See several of the posts above for others experiences on the road.
me well see my below. VVVV

Maleficent

Jun 14, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #14 of 37 (7722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha ok i see. i had never heard that term, living the dream sure, but not dirtbag. That would be pretty interesting to meet some of those people for sure. we'll see, still got about another month or so of saving before i can safely go for longer than 6mo... and a few more pieces to add to my rack :D unless i want to scrub off someone else gear forever. I was thinking i could possibly be ok if i had two sets of nuts, and about 8-10 cams ranging in sizes. and when i try for big wall stuff i'll have a partner for sure and he/she will have some sort of gear as well. figure i dont need to outfit myself with everything i need to climb 3000ft solely on trad gear yet :P

got the cams and nuts -2 cams ranging from #1-#3, a .5, 60m rope and a 70m static rope, shoes from scrunchy to comfy.. some cordelette, webbing, gri-gri and reg atc... about 15 quick draws. think thats it.
anyone think of anything else climbing wise that might be of benefit

aprice00

Jun 14, 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #15 of 37 (7709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maleficent wrote:
haha ok i see. i had never heard that term, living the dream sure, but not dirtbag. That would be pretty interesting to meet some of those people for sure. we'll see, still got about another month or so of saving before i can safely go for longer than 6mo... and a few more pieces to add to my rack :D unless i want to scrub off someone else gear forever. I was thinking i could possibly be ok if i had two sets of nuts, and about 8-10 cams ranging in sizes. and when i try for big wall stuff i'll have a partner for sure and he/she will have some sort of gear as well. figure i dont need to outfit myself with everything i need to climb 3000ft solely on trad gear yet :P

got the cams and nuts -2 cams ranging from #1-#3, a .5, 60m rope and a 70m static rope, shoes from scrunchy to comfy.. some cordelette, webbing, gri-gri and reg atc... about 15 quick draws. think thats it.

Helmet

tory_c89

Jun 15, 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #16 of 37 (7671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much money are you starting out with? How much money do you think you will need a month with gas expenses and food and such to make it successful?

Maleficent

Jun 15, 2011, 2:22 AM
Post #17 of 37 (7656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tory_c89] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, roughly i'll want to start out with about 3-4k. Not that i intend to spend quite that much. I'll most likely pick up some odd job 2-3 days a week where ever i land first so that will atleast feed me. i figure 3-4k should last quite some time, 6+ months? i dont plan on driving across country every few months either, we're talking 2-3 climbing spots max within about 10hrs of eachother, hopefully spending atleast 2 months at each maybe longer before packing up and moving to the next.

guangzhou

Jun 15, 2011, 3:46 AM
Post #18 of 37 (7619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Between the two road trips, I visited quite abit of the states. California, Oregon, a bit in Washington, Nevada, Arizona, and NEw MExico. (Some great climbing in NEw MExico that most peoplehave never ehard of, old school stuff. Extented a bit into Texas because of some work, texas has nice climbing too.

For the last ten years, I've spent 6 weeks of summer roaming and climbing too, but tend to focus on one or two areas. Last summer, I based myself in Lake tahoe, Summer before near Boulder, did a few summers based in North Conway too. (New Hampshire)

With your budget, if you're careful, you could stretch out 7 months to year. Gasoline and food are the biggest expense. Drive less and stay in areas longer. Food, you'll learn to get by on things you never imagined.

I think road trips on the west-coast are easier and more diverse.

potreroed

Jun 15, 2011, 5:22 AM
Post #19 of 37 (7599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite place is El Potrero Chico where I eventually settled down. Big rock, short approaches, NO RULES AND REGULATIONS, affordable living.

myJacobS

Jun 15, 2011, 7:50 AM
Post #20 of 37 (7590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Living on the road is a kind of journey would mean setting up goals. And goals would mean, setting up your budget. You also would need to check places if its safe to wander while your at the road. Research first the on web on the safety of the roads. You also need to have a fully equip bus to spend the night.

Never the less living in the roads is so much fun and exciting. Wink

altelis

Jun 15, 2011, 1:43 PM
Post #21 of 37 (7539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maleficent wrote:

Perhaps, I think I just got the smell of something wafting form under that there bridge...

enigma

Jun 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #22 of 37 (7482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Whether you will find pick up partners is partly dependent on the locale, but mainly on you and your ability to seek and arrange, show up and be worth climbing with. This means both proficiency-wise as well as personality-wise.

If you aren't the kind of climber who can show up at a crag, spark a conversation, and hold your own in climbing, then.....hooking up on the spot will probably prove frustrating to you, except in the most popular destination spots(where people are often traveling solo and looking for partners).

If you have access to the internet, via moblie broadband or your phone, then you can post/respond to partner requests on the climbing forums. For that, I have found rc.com the most fruitful, and Mountain Project in 2nd place. But - you really need to be "on it" to make these connections. You have to be able to go back and forth with the others until you can get a phone number, so if you can only access email at, say, a library on the hour you have access to their computer.... it will be difficult.

Your need for sociability, and your ability to set up social relationships, will affect your happiness on an extended road trip. Me? I can go a week without talking to anyone and not miss a beat. And I can spark up conversations with just about anyone, on some level. And, if I can't climb, I am just as happy going on a photo hike, sitting in camp reading, doing artwork, or whatever. Too much time around almost anyone, and particularly groups, gets me overwhelmed. So I do well on the road. Besides, I have a dog and even though he's not a human, he's very good companionship, and also introduces me to a lot of people.

Most people need more social interaction than what I do, and if that is you, just know that it will be on you to make it happen. Look at the way your life is now for an indication - Are you able to quickly befriend random strangers - at least enough for a day of social interaction(that would be climbing). Do you get ALONG with people? Can you roll with the situations you are in, or is there friction because either you act in ways that irks others, or others irk you, which causes you to get ugly? Are you able to coordinate with others, find destinations without an epic on the way and show up on time, or are you always calling on the cel because you are on Such and Such STREET and they are on Such and Such Avenue?

.....Go on the road. Even if it is different than what you expect(and it will be), it is sure to be an adventure.

Well, Happie has to be one of the most impressive on the road climbing girls. Somehow she survived in the cold, rain, and I am amazed. Whatever she did is to be commended.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 16, 2011, 6:34 PM
Post #23 of 37 (7453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Living on the road/climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Well, Happie has to be one of the most impressive on the road climbing girls. Somehow she survived in the cold, rain, and I am amazed. Whatever she did is to be commended.

I think having the conversion van made a big difference. It has tinted windows and the velour drapes which kept out the heat from sun. And I think it has more insulation than a regular vehicle not designed for camping in. I don't like the cold, and I never felt it except for 3-4 nights my feet were, even with socks on. But other people said they were cold, so I figure it had to be the insulation was heavier.

Also, having a real mattress and flannel sheets/down duvet, instead of a sleeping bag, was much more comfortable, I think.

Maleficent

Jun 19, 2011, 5:48 AM
Post #24 of 37 (7335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, well i dont have all that :D

gonna have to get one of those rollout foam pads, though i will buy a sizeable tent, i figure sleeping in a one man, or even two man for 6+ months is going to get a little old and cramped. Figure i'll buy a larger tent that i can semi make like a small room in, not a family tent, but maybe a step down. but now comes the saving part..blah, sit on my rump and do nothing but save pennies. oh well, work/home/gym doesnt sound terrible.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 19, 2011, 8:05 PM
Post #25 of 37 (7236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tenting makes it difficult to camp in stealth mode. Unless you are willing and able to pay campsite fees that will be incurred, you may find yourself sleeping uncomfortably in your car seat if you don;t plan ahead....

What about the days when you are traveling between destinations and it is storming out and you are just tired and want to stop? Finding a place to set a tent...not much fun, especially if you are in an urban area or running through reservation territory.

Tents suck to live in long term.

What rig are you driving/considering?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook