Premier Sponsor:

granite_grrl

Jul 4, 2011, 7:18 PM
Post #1 of 20 (1950 views)
Shortcut

New computer time
Report this Post
Can't Post

And I think I've convinced myself to go with a Mac. I have also convinced myself to save a bit of cash and buy a refurbished one from Apple.

So I'm trying to decide what I actually need. They have your basic Mac that was released last year (2010) and what was released this year (2011), big difference is the processor, i3 vs an i5. I think there is a difference with the graphic card as well, but considering I'm not a gamer this doesn't worry me.

I'm a low demand user, mostly looking to surf the internet with a bit of home photo editing. I'm tempted to save $90 and go with the 2010 model, but then again it's only $90.

So RC.com, tell me what to buy.

http://store.apple.com/...s/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

squierbypetzl

Jul 4, 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #2 of 20 (1931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] New computer time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My brother mentioned that he was considering upgrading his Mac's video card through Apple, so if you feel like upgrading down the road you can apparently do so.

Apple usually has quality refurbishments, but if you can spend the $90 without wincing too hard, get a new 2011 Macbook. The processor is better, the warranty is greater, and you'll enjoy it that much more.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Jul 4, 2011, 10:02 PM)

Partner macherry

Jul 5, 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #3 of 20 (1918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] New computer time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the basic and it does everything you are looking for: surfing and photo editing. mine is 3 years old and going strong.

the refurbished macs are a good deal and them come with a year warranty

granite_grrl

Jul 5, 2011, 1:41 AM
Post #4 of 20 (1914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
My brother mentioned that he was considering upgrading his Mac's video card through Apple, so if you feel like upgrading down the road you can apparently do so.

Apple usually has quality refurbishments, but if you can spend the $90 without wincing too hard, get a new 2011 Macbook. The processor is better, the warranty is greater, and you'll enjoy it that much more.
I'm comparing 2010 refurb with a 2011 refurb.

squierbypetzl

Jul 5, 2011, 2:22 AM
Post #5 of 20 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I figured that out later, thought I'd edited my post.

climbs4fun

Jul 5, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #6 of 20 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:

the warranty is actually the same either way. 1 year with the ability to extend to three years (extra two with apple care) no matter which you do. It's based on purchase date, not manufacture date.

lagr01

Jul 5, 2011, 3:37 AM
Post #7 of 20 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've bough refurbished iPods and computers from Apple. No issues so far.

Go for the 2011 newer model if you can afford it.

granite_grrl

Jul 5, 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #8 of 20 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
I figured that out later, thought I'd edited my post.
Maybe....I didn't realize you were talking MacBook.

I've pretty much decided on a refurb, I have no problems with the idea, and as C4F mentioned the warranty is about the same. Also pretty much decided on an iMac. We travel with out laptop to infrequently that I decided that I might as well get a laptop.

But the thing I'm not sure about is the i3 vs the i5 and if the i5 is worth a bit of extra cash, or it I'll never notice a difference. Keep in mind we don't buy computers frequently, the laptop I'm currently using is 6 years old.

spikeddem

Jul 5, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #9 of 20 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could go with the Macbook Wheel.

Diphthong

Jul 5, 2011, 6:15 PM
Post #10 of 20 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know my opinion on the Mac thing, but if you insist, so be it.

I'd assume that the 2011 have the new SB chips in them? They'll be a little faster, use a little less power, yada yada yada. Not a big deal for your uses. The only thing that drove me to consider the new chips was USB 3.0. And the only reason that means anything to me is photography with a dSLR (read: transferring lots of giant RAW files). If that doesn't mean anything to you I'd probably go 2010 and save some cash.

i3 would probably be fine too. The cost difference between the two amounted to all of $50 on my new PC so I went with the i5. I know Steve Jorbs doesn't allow such customization of the Macs so I'm guessing there's a low grade and medium grade line with i3 and i5, respectively? I don't think there's much difference between the two (for your uses), it's only the i7 that really differs (no independent graphics card so crappy battery life).

Diphthong

Jul 5, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #11 of 20 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I should have read your post more thoroughly. If it's only $90, screw it, get the new one. Sell some of Chossy's climbing gear to pay for the difference.

qwert

Jul 6, 2011, 7:45 AM
Post #12 of 20 (1839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] New computer time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to use an like apples, but nowadays i simply cant reccomend them anymore.

You are getting old hardware in a shiny case, with a shiny screen and without some of the more standart ports.

plus you get sucked into a weird mix of fashion, stalinism and a pseudo religious cult, not unlike North Korea.

Also, forget about doing anything yourself, such as upgrading the RAM or HDD down the road.

And if i interpret apples OS trend correctly, you will soon have a locked- and dumbed down tablet OS on your main PC, without any chance of doing something with it that the great leader doesnt approve.

qwert

squierbypetzl

Jul 6, 2011, 8:21 PM
Post #13 of 20 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] New computer time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sums up the cons quite well, nicely done. Google Android is the OS of the future, there's just no way to compete with the freedom it gives.

traddad

Jul 6, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #14 of 20 (1827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
Sums up the cons quite well, nicely done. Google Android is the OS of the future, there's just no way to compete with the freedom it gives.

I hacked my Nook Color and turned it into an Android tablet running the CyanogenMod 7 version of Gingerbread with an updated kernel that allows overclocking. Love. It.
I can't speak for running a Google OS on a larger system, but for less than $300 new I have a sweet lttle tablet that I now use to do things I used to do on my laptop.
...and it has a USB and an SD card slot.

Diphthong

Jul 6, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #15 of 20 (1824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] New computer time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:

I hacked my Nook Color and turned it into an Android tablet running the CyanogenMod 7 version of Gingerbread with an updated kernel that allows overclocking. Love. It.
I can't speak for running a Google OS on a larger system, but for less than $300 new I have a sweet lttle tablet that I now use to do things I used to do on my laptop.
...and it has a USB and an SD card slot.

That looks interesting. Can you access Android Market on it? How's the websurfing?

traddad

Jul 7, 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #16 of 20 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] New computer time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's great at surfing the web although it definitely loads mobile apps better. I have access to the android market as well as Amazon apps, etc. I really like this little tablet. Never thought I'd have much use for one but I carry it with me all the time now. Much easier to transport than a laptop.

squierbypetzl

Jul 7, 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #17 of 20 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting. How's the touchscreen stack up against Apple´ses?

traddad

Jul 7, 2011, 1:02 AM
Post #18 of 20 (1809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a capacitive touchscreen like Apple and works great. My only complaint is that if a website doesn't have a mobile form, my fingers are too fat and I have to enlarge stuff and scroll.

granite_grrl

Jul 7, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #19 of 20 (1785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I bit the bullet and bought it. For the sake of $90 I bought the one with the more i5 processor. I figure that I might not notice the difference right now, but it might help me get another year or two out of it when it gets closer to the end of it's life.

Partner macherry

Jul 7, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #20 of 20 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
So I bit the bullet and bought it. For the sake of $90 I bought the one with the more i5 processor. I figure that I might not notice the difference right now, but it might help me get another year or two out of it when it gets closer to the end of it's life.

woo hoo new computer

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook