Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
How to - belay anchor in this situation?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #1 of 29 (11652 views)
Shortcut

How to - belay anchor in this situation?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What would be the best way to set up a belay for a short - say, 20 ft climb on a rock crag when:

1) Belaying someone climbing up from below

2) Closest anchor (stout tree) is 25 ft from the rock edge

3) No cracks or horn near the edge to set any nuts

4) Unable to top rope this spot w/o a 50 ft length of static rope - which I don't own

Any suggestions? I was always taught that the belay anchor should be within arms length for a safe belay - but in this case that wouldn't be possible.

Is there a way to accomplish this safely?

shockabuku

Jul 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #2 of 29 (11640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACLSRN] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How long is your rope? Sounds like you should be able to use your climbing rope to anchor to the tree and then provide a top belay to the climber.

Or get a bunch of crash pads.

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #3 of 29 (11635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

60m 10.3 dynamic rope...so that isn't a problem.

I thought of just anchoring the rope via slings to the stout tree who it WAS 25 ft behind me still. Wouldn't be NEAR the belay anchor tho but for a climb this short I didn't think that it would be TOO unsafe perhaps?

xbrianx1990

Jul 5, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #4 of 29 (11621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Attach rope to tree, tie alpine butterfly knot near cliff edge. Attach belay device and belayer to knot near edge. Climb on.

The rope will rub at the edge from hanging off of it from the tree so be carefull to protect it from sharp edges. If the belay device and belayer is over the edge then at least the climber end of the rope will not see any additional wear.

billl7

Jul 5, 2011, 1:17 PM
Post #5 of 29 (11615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACLSRN wrote:
I thought of just anchoring the rope via slings to the stout tree who it WAS 25 ft behind me still. Wouldn't be NEAR the belay anchor tho but for a climb this short I didn't think that it would be TOO unsafe perhaps?

Good to look at what is behind "safe" in this context:

* A close-at-hand anchor is helpful if one needs to escape the belay while the climber is otherwise depending on the rope for protection of life. In this case, you'd probably just lower the climber.

* A close-at-hand anchor minimizes the belayer getting jerked around should the fall forces be out of line from climber to belayer to anchor - sort of like a nasty pendulum. This shouldn't be a problem if you have good enough alignment.

One issue I can think of is if the rope runs roughly horizontally from the tree to the belayer and then down over the cliff. If the climber falls, there's a potential to get body parts trapped/pinched between the loaded rope and the cliff edge. In these cases, I try to set up my belay stance carefully so at worse it'll just be a little uncomfortable when the rope is loaded. You can check this by doing a trial loading of the rig before the climber gets up very high (i.e., build up to having them fall off down low).

Another issue may be position of the brake hand - if using an ATC, it'll be up instead of down for the more typical belay from below.

You could avoid a lot of the above by using the climbing rope from tree to just above cliff edge - maybe quadruple it in this section to minimizing stretching and accompanying sawing action. Then use biners and slings to get a power point over the edge, perhaps with some padding at the edge. Use the rest of the rope to do a belay from below in the usual fashion.

Bill L

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 1:19 PM
Post #6 of 29 (11610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xbrianx1990] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xbrianx1990 wrote:
Attach rope to tree, tie alpine butterfly knot near cliff edge. Attach belay device and belayer to knot near edge. Climb on.

The rope will rub at the edge from hanging off of it from the tree so be carefull to protect it from sharp edges. If the belay device and belayer is over the edge then at least the climber end of the rope will not see any additional wear.

OK - that's def a new knot for me! let me ask WHY the Alpine Butterfly Knot vs. say a Figure 8 Knot?

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #7 of 29 (11602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
ACLSRN wrote:

* A close-at-hand anchor is helpful if one needs to escape the belay while the climber is otherwise depending on the rope for protection of life. In this case, you'd probably just lower the climber.

* A close-at-hand anchor minimizes the belayer getting jerked around should the fall forces be out of line from climber to belayer to anchor - sort of like a nasty pendulum. This shouldn't be a problem if you have good enough alignment.

One issue I can think of is if the rope runs roughly horizontally from the tree to the belayer and then down over the cliff. If the climber falls, there's a potential to get body parts trapped/pinched between the loaded rope and the cliff edge. In these cases, I try to set up my belay stance carefully so at worse it'll just be a little uncomfortable when the rope is loaded. You can check this by doing a trial loading of the rig before the climber gets up very high (i.e., build up to having them fall off down low).

Another issue may be position of the brake hand - if using an ATC, it'll be up instead of down for the more typical belay from below.

You could avoid a lot of the above by using the climbing rope from tree to just above cliff edge - maybe quadruple it in this section to minimizing stretching and accompanying sawing action. Then use biners and slings to get a power point over the edge, perhaps with some padding at the edge. Use the rest of the rope to do a belay from below in the usual fashion.

Bill L

Thanks Bill,
That def a good idea. The tree from behind me n which to belay from was straight in-line with the climber and myself - so any horizontal or pendulum wouldn't have been a problem.

I would have preferred to have been belaying from below instead where I could have been watching the climber as well as a top rope set up instead. The prob WAS - the tee being SO far back - as I was concerned with the 'sawing' action of the rope across the top of the crag and didn't have anything to pad the edge with, etc. ALL good ideas tho! Thanks!

xbrianx1990

Jul 5, 2011, 1:27 PM
Post #8 of 29 (11599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The alpine butterfly is a good knot that can be tied into the middle of a rope under load. Its easy to tie and works perfectly for this situation.

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 1:27 PM
Post #9 of 29 (11599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes - this was one of my concerns - and as you say - it really wouldn't have been such a issue of 'tying off the rope to the belay anchor' had there been a mishap as I could simply lower the climber down and then skirt around the crag and go help, etc.

I just remember the words of my climbing instructor many years ago - Don Mellor - saying - "Always keep your belay anchor within arms reach - and I wasn't sure if this was 'smart' to violate that rule in this instance or not...

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 1:29 PM
Post #10 of 29 (11594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xbrianx1990 wrote:
The alpine butterfly is a good knot that can be tied into the middle of a rope under load. Its easy to tie and works perfectly for this situation.

OK great - thanks! I just found a good online video on hos to tie this knot...seems easy enuff - will have to practice this one and get to know it....

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php#Movie

billl7

Jul 5, 2011, 1:41 PM
Post #11 of 29 (11578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I do think in this instance that it should be okay to "violate the rule". We'll soon enough see if anyone here disagrees.

Still, it is possible to have a close-at-hand knotted loop in the rope going to the tree (e.g., figure 8 on a byte within arm's reach of the cliff edge). Actually, that might be nice just to anchor yourself before approaching the cliff edge for the belay from above.

Another thing I sometimes do in cases like this, tho usually to finish a lead: With myself tied into one end of the rope, run the rope around the tree and back to the cliff edge with a clove hitch on a locker on my belay loop. Adjust the clove hitch as needed for a nice sitting stance on the cliff edge. It is still possible to get that close-at-hand knotted loop if desired by treating both strands as one for tieing, say, the figure 8 on a bight.

Cheers!
Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jul 5, 2011, 1:42 PM)

ACLSRN

Jul 5, 2011, 1:45 PM
Post #12 of 29 (11563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
I do think in this instance that it should be okay to "violate the rule". We'll soon enough see if anyone here disagrees.

Still, it is possible to have a close-at-hand knotted loop in the rope going to the tree (e.g., figure 8 on a byte within arm's reach of the cliff edge). Actually, that might be nice just to anchor yourself before approaching the cliff edge for the belay from above.

Another thing I sometimes do in cases like this, tho usually to finish a lead: With myself tied into one end of the rope, run the rope around the tree and back to the cliff edge with a clove hitch on a locker on my belay loop. Adjust the clove hitch as needed for a nice sitting stance on the cliff edge. It is still possible to get that close-at-hand knotted loop if desired by treating both strands as one for tieing, say, the figure 8 on a bight.

Cheers!
Bill L

Yes, my original plan was to anchor the rope to the tree - using a sling and a Figure 8 on a bight - then tie a Figure 8 in a bight near the top of the crag for my belay knot and belay from there....

I guess in retrospect that I prob made it more difficult then it really was - or - over 'thank' it - but just didn't wanna do something unsafe - esp when teaching someone new (my girlfriend) - to rock climb - and want to teach her the proper 'safe' methods to climb, etc.

Partner j_ung

Jul 5, 2011, 2:31 PM
Post #13 of 29 (11544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xbrianx1990 wrote:

But if you don't know it, a figure 8 on a bight will also work perfectly.

Partner j_ung

Jul 5, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #14 of 29 (11534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the ground between the tree and cliff is flat, a sitting hip belay will also work well, and with minimal rigging. Build a sling anchor around the tree and clip the rope through the master point. Sit in front of it and hip belay. I use this often on maintenance pitches, but without the sling anchor—I just wrap the rope around the tree. I assume you're also lowering her in, though, hence the anchor so you don't rock that poor tree's world.

Edit: Of course, if you have a lot of sharp edges to deal with, this might not be the best idea. Better in that case to get close to the top of the cliff, as folks above have mentioned.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jul 5, 2011, 2:43 PM)

sungam

Jul 5, 2011, 2:52 PM
Post #15 of 29 (11523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xbrianx1990 wrote:
Nahhhh. I think a clove hitch is faster and easier to move when you decide that you want to move closer/further from the edge.

wiki

Jul 6, 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #16 of 29 (11406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xbrianx1990 wrote:

What sort of load? Unless you are super strong, it would be very difficult to tie a butterfy in a rope under load... Or is there a secret trick for this?

An 8 on a bight would be fine.

xbrianx1990

Jul 6, 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #17 of 29 (11400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, you would have to tie it before it was loaded. What I meant was that a load on the rope does not effect the knot.

billl7

Jul 6, 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #18 of 29 (11397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACLSRN wrote:
... I prob made it more difficult then it really was - or - over 'thank' it - but just didn't wanna do something unsafe - esp when teaching someone new (my girlfriend) - to rock climb - and want to teach her the proper 'safe' methods to climb, etc.
Teaching brings climbing from illness to plague because all of our habits, good and bad, replicate. Good on you for seeking input about the issue.

Bill L

ACLSRN

Jul 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #19 of 29 (11392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Bill,
I know not everything in the 'real world' of climbing is always 'textbook' - and just wanted to see if there was perhaps a better way to do thing(s) that I had, etc.

Knowledge is power as-is learning and experience!

wiki

Jul 6, 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #20 of 29 (11387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

xbrianx1990 wrote:
No, you would have to tie it before it was loaded. What I meant was that a load on the rope does not effect the knot.

Gotcha :) A Butterfly is great when you are 3 way loading it. It is also great when you are 2 way loading it so it is fine in this situation. A Figure 8 is probabaly easier for a beginner to tie and as the Figure 8 is only loaded as it should be (the strand going to the anchor and the loop) it is appropriate too.

gunkiemike

Jul 9, 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #22 of 29 (11172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

B= belayer, C= climber, PP = Power point

Pad the edge, since the dynamic rope will stretch.

rescueman

Jul 9, 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #23 of 29 (11127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless that edge can be perfectly padded and there are no intermediate rub points, it's not a good idea to use a dynamic rope (especially your climbing rope) as an extended top-rope anchor.

Jeezum, 1" tubular nylon webbing is cheap and makes the best static top rope anchors. You can always girth hitch or basket hitch a webbing sling to the tree and extend it, if necessary, with other webbing slings either girth hitched or basket hitched to the first one in order to get over the edge. Then you can do a bottom "sling-shot" belay and coach your girlfriend on her climb.

binrat

Jul 11, 2011, 1:25 AM
Post #24 of 29 (11051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rescueman] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
You can always girth hitch or basket hitch a webbing sling to the tree and extend it, if necessary, with other webbing slings either girth hitched or basket hitched to the first one in order to get over the edge. Then you can do a bottom "sling-shot" belay and coach your girlfriend on her climb.
Hmm, you are all over the place in different threads RM. Because here you advocate the W2P1 over the girth hitch for TR anchors.
rescueman wrote:
A Wrap 2 Pull 1 is more than sufficient for a TR anchor and it offers advantages over most other ways of slinging a tree with webbing:
1) It cinches and will stay in place off the ground if that's important to keep the anchor out of the mud or for a better angle to the edge and the tree is large enough - but without the strength loss of a girth hitch.
2) It self-equalizes to any angle of tension.
3) It offers the strength of 2 (W2P1) or 4 (W3P2) strands of webbing while isolating the knot from the tension.

(This post was edited by binrat on Jul 11, 2011, 1:26 AM)

rescueman

Jul 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #25 of 29 (10909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] How to - belay anchor in this situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
Hmm, you are all over the place in different threads RM. Because here you advocate the W2P1 over the girth hitch for TR anchors.

No inconsistency at all!

If using 1" tubular nylon webbing (which is the standard for top roping), a girth hitch is more than adequate - in spite of some hysteria about how dangerously much they can weaken a sling.

I would not girth hitch a high-strength, narrow-guage sling, however, since the strength reduction and cutting effect can be dramatic with those fibers.

But, even though a girth-hitched 1" nylon tubular sling is OK, the W2P1 is far superior for the several reasons I cited.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook