Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

Jul 12, 2011, 2:36 PM
Post #201 of 266 (6537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
ubu wrote:
Well, this is not good. A second arrest at Earth Treks for sex acts between an instructor and a minor. I may not be sending my kids back to their summer camp next year...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/...0711,0,1049820.story

I would say that qualifies as a problem for Earth Treks. I don't think these events will affect climbing as a sport. They will however affect Earth Treks ability to attract new climbers though.

I can understand it happening once at a gym. However, two separate incidents within a couple of weeks at separate gyms indicates to me that Earth Treks was not able to properly supervise their students or the instructors.

There is a lot of troubling information on the page below.

https://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/...rom-earth-treks.html

Yeah, there is. Two different people suggested they weren't surprised, and one said he (Lyons) solicited multiple team members the night of the sleepover.

juststrange

Jul 12, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #202 of 266 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

As much as I'd hate to, lets keep these incidents seperate. I've climbed with Dan before, nice enough kid, good coach. I don't know why, but I have this gut feeling that a 19 year old getting involved with a 14-15 year old is much different than a 31 year old doing the same. I was 19 once, and I was a stupid kid. Not that stupid, but still stupid. I have a feeling this second incident will go by with much less fan-fare than the first.

bearbreeder

Jul 12, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #203 of 266 (6467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that qualifies as a problem for Earth Treks. I don't think these events will affect climbing as a sport. They will however affect Earth Treks ability to attract new climbers though.

I can understand it happening once at a gym. However, two separate incidents within a couple of weeks at separate gyms indicates to me that Earth Treks was not able to properly supervise their students or the instructors.

There is a lot of troubling information on the page below.

https://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/...rom-earth-treks.html

when you have young in shape girls ... and dirty men ... things sometimes happen whether you want to believe it or not

predators go where the prey is

whether its gyms, schools, pools, camps, etc ...

we wont even talk about churches Wink

Partner cracklover

Jul 12, 2011, 5:56 PM
Post #204 of 266 (6448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juststrange] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

juststrange wrote:
As much as I'd hate to, lets keep these incidents seperate. I've climbed with Dan before, nice enough kid, good coach. I don't know why, but I have this gut feeling that a 19 year old getting involved with a 14-15 year old is much different than a 31 year old doing the same. I was 19 once, and I was a stupid kid. Not that stupid, but still stupid. I have a feeling this second incident will go by with much less fan-fare than the first.

As much as I agree, this second incident (if true) points at a much bigger issue within the ET culture or practices. Sounds like they need a good shake to clean things up, top to bottom.

GO

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 12, 2011, 7:04 PM
Post #205 of 266 (6415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I, too, agree that a 20 year old *is not the same* as the 31 year old... and also that it seems to point to a bigger issue within the organization. It's not unusual that if the attitude from the upper echelon is lax, those lower in the hierarchy are more apt to follow suit.

When you have top management who behave(and not just say how others should behave) professionally, their employees tend to as well.

It is a NO brainer to realize that coaches(and even gym employees in general) need to have a solid behavior policy in place. A laizze faire, "it won't happen here" attitude is really unacceptable.

Meanwhile - I remember, long ago, when I was 19 years old. Guy in high school, even back in those more innocent times, were WELL aware of the cut off line(their 18th birthday) where a girl went from being "fair game" to "jail bait"(misogyny alive and well, of course). Still - it was openly discussed by EVERY guy I knew, that getting involved with, picking up, or what ever, with an underage girl was a bad idea.

It wasn't that any moral issue at hand, but that the legal consequences were what they were, which held most of the guys in check.

It's a different time now, and people are even more aware of the boundary lines. There's really no acceptable excuse for what is going down at ET.

drivel

Jul 12, 2011, 7:44 PM
Post #206 of 266 (6378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juststrange] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

juststrange wrote:

- yes, 19 and 14 is very different than 31 and 14
- article said he's 20
- no idea how old the girl is. Could be a 13 year old, could be a 17 year old.

sbaclimber

Jul 12, 2011, 7:53 PM
Post #207 of 266 (6366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
Seeing as the age of consent in Maryland and DC is 16, I would assume she wasn't 17.

juststrange

Jul 12, 2011, 7:57 PM
Post #208 of 266 (6363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/official-team-page.html

At the time of the alleged incident Dan was 19, and since its a 4th degree sex offense (2-3 charges IIRC), in Maryland that tends to mean it was a 14 or 15 year old.

Mike on the other hand was levied with Second Degree Assault, Sexual Abuse of a Minor, Sexual Solicitation of a Minor, 6 charges of 3rd degree sex offense, 3 more of 4th degree sex offense.

Run down of charging scheme in MD:
http://www.oag.state.md.us/...er/understanding.htm

(This post was edited by juststrange on Jul 12, 2011, 11:33 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 12, 2011, 8:02 PM
Post #209 of 266 (6358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I iwll say that it does seem Earth Trks IS making an effort at, if nothing else, damage control(contacted parents before media news release, having meetings with parents). But it also appears they are really concerned with doing the right thing and not just to cover themselves.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 12, 2011, 8:41 PM
Post #210 of 266 (6315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

juststrange wrote:

Run down of charging scheme in MD:
http://www.oag.state.md.us/...er/understanding.htm

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/...6&detailLoc=DSCR

drivel

Jul 12, 2011, 8:48 PM
Post #211 of 266 (6305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
drivel wrote:
Seeing as the age of consent in Maryland and DC is 16, I would assume she wasn't 17.

ah. didn't know that.

Partner j_ung

Jul 12, 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #212 of 266 (6274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I iwll say that it does seem Earth Trks IS making an effort at, if nothing else, damage control(contacted parents before media news release, having meetings with parents). But it also appears they are really concerned with doing the right thing and not just to cover themselves.

I agree.

I've known Chris Warner since, IIRC, 1990. If there's a single person on Earth capable of looking through the emotion and embarrassment, defining the right thing to do and then doing it, it's him. I'm fairly certain that most people who are more than just acquainted with Chris will agree—any caricature of him as some sort of suit whose apathy toward children is exceeded only by his love of money is incorrect.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 13, 2011, 4:34 AM
Post #213 of 266 (6198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the biggest question here is what would you do if the climbing coach of your child was accused of something like this?

I know some people's gut reaction is that they would tar and feather the coach or go immediately to the police.

Now step back and really think about what you would do. Would you trust your coach's word over the word of a young teammate? Would you step back and just wait for the courts to settle it? Would you confront the coach/gym?

A lot of parents have known their coaches for many many years and probably would trust the coaches to look after their children in any situation. So would you take the child's word as enough evidence to remove your child from the situation?

This particular case is different because he confessed to at least a portion of the charges. However, there were a lot of people that would not believe he was capable of such a crime before the confession was made public.

How much should we ever trust anyone with the care of our children? This could have easily been a case about a school, daycare, or other sports league.

There are already claims that people had reported these abuses before his arrest. So did some people take the coaches word over the child's?

This whole situation has really made me stop and think about how much I trust other people to care for my own children.

I think that this really hasn't changed the sport itself at all. All of the gyms will continue to support and compete with each other. However, I do believe it will change the level of trust that parents have in their coaches.

The parents may not do anything different. However, I do believe they will at least question the trust they have in the coaches more than they did before.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Jul 13, 2011, 4:44 AM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 13, 2011, 4:59 AM
Post #214 of 266 (6190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember when Mr. Lyons brought his entire team more than 400 miles to our regional tournaments the last two years instead of going to his own regional that was close by.

We all just thought that he was trying get as many national invites as possible because he perceived our region as weaker than his. He would always give lame excuses like the regional gym near them was too cold or too run down.

Looking back, it is possible that he really was just looking for an excuse to take a road trip with his young crew. The point is that you never know what someone's true motivations are.

There were definitely signs that Mr. Lyons was not the upstanding coach that some people have portrayed him as. Even back then we all agreed that our kids would never climb for a coach with a "Win at all costs" attitude like Mr. Lyons had.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 13, 2011, 3:45 PM
Post #215 of 266 (6127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...So would you take the child's word as enough evidence to remove your child from the situation?...

I know the media has on occasion shown some instances where, apparently, accusations were not able to be upheld, and thus the child becomes the accused(of lying/making it up).

All I can say is that - kids don't generally make up this sort of allegation.

I cannot imagine even THINKING I'd send my kid back to work with someone where this sort of thing was alleged. A shame, if my child didn't understand why not being able to continue the status quo. But parents are entrusted with their child's care and better safe than sorry, if you ask me.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 13, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #216 of 266 (6123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
...So would you take the child's word as enough evidence to remove your child from the situation?...

I know the media has on occasion shown some instances where, apparently, accusations were not able to be upheld, and thus the child becomes the accused(of lying/making it up).

I cannot imagine even THINKING I'd send my kid back to work with someone where this sort of thing was alleged. A shame, if my child didn't understand why not being able to continue the status quo. But parents are entrusted with their child's care and better safe than sorry, if you ask me.

I totally agree. If it is true that these allegations were made long before the police got involved then I can’t imagine anyone sending their kids back there or letting other parents send their kids there.

Partner j_ung

Jul 13, 2011, 3:56 PM
Post #217 of 266 (6118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How did the police become involved in the first place?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jul 13, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #218 of 266 (6113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

Would I believe my kids? Absolutely g-d- right I would. Would I believe another parent who heard from her kid that another kid told her that something like this happened? Maybe.

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 13, 2011, 4:46 PM
Post #219 of 266 (6093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
How did the police become involved in the first place?

Here is what was written in a news article about Montague's arrest. I am not sure if this preceded the evidence gathering in the other case or not.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/...rest-court-documents

In reply to:
Court documents in Montague's case — which misspell his name as Montaque — say that police were contacted June 24 by the girl's mother, who reported that her daughter, a member of a competitive team, "had been sexually assaulted by a climbing instructor." The girl's parents identified him as Montague and said he had been her instructor since she joined the program in April 2010.

"He was aware of how old she was," the document says, although references to her age were blacked out. Montague and the girl, who was interviewed by the police, "began to have a sexual relationship" in March this year, and met on four occasions at her home "when her mother was away for a few hours."

According to the police account, the girl and Montague knew that "what they were doing was wrong."

It is entirely possible that these allegations were what prompted police to investigate Mike Lyon's activities. He may have been arrested first for a number of reasons. I hope that they didn't let the kids practice with these guys for several days even after the accusations were made.

No matter what order these things happened in, it is clear that these instructors are not who I would want around my children.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Jul 13, 2011, 4:58 PM)

RClose78

Jul 13, 2011, 8:15 PM
Post #222 of 266 (5965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just typed this all out and the server bounced it back... let's try again. Lots of thoughts all mixed into one, so forgive me for bouncing around a bit.

There seem to be a lot of questions about whether someone should have "known" about Mike's crimes earlier. As an Earth Treks member, I've certainly heard people say things about him, but nothing more than rumors and speculation of the "that guy is creepy" variety. Certainly nothing that anyone thought was valid enough to have reported or been concerned about. Whether any team members ever said anything to their parents, I can't say for sure.

While I'm glad that Mike is no longer in a position to be causing harm, I was bothered by some of the coverage of it. Specifically, one of the networks used footage of him talking about a party with "girls dancing on guys, and guys dancing on girls," and stated that he was talking about a party for the climbing team. Unless I'm mistaken, he was talking about the after party for the Unified Bouldering Championships event that ET hosted last year, which was a mostly adult crowd. I think it's very irresponsible for the media to be misrepresenting the facts in an already emotional situation, simply to get a better story.

As for Daniel's arrest, I'd like to remind everyone that an arrest is not a conviction. While Mike already confessed to his crimes, Daniel is still innocent until the courts say otherwise. For now, only he and the girl know the truth about what happened. Please understand that I'm not saying the girl is lying, or trying to minimize any experience she may have had. I'm simply choosing to believe in my friend's innocence in a case where the facts are not known. From all that I've ever seen or heard, Daniel is a good kid. He's a friend I've happily trusted with my life when we're out climbing, and when I have kids I'll trust him with them too.

Finally, I have full confidence that Earth Treks will handle this situation in a responsible fashion and learn from it to minimize the chances of it happening again. For all I've heard about detached leadership and management, I can't think of another business that I frequent where I know so many of the senior staff. It's a great community to be part of.

drivel

Jul 13, 2011, 8:27 PM
Post #223 of 266 (5951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RClose78] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RClose78 wrote:

As for Daniel's arrest, I'd like to remind everyone that an arrest is not a conviction. While Mike already confessed to his crimes, Daniel is still innocent until the courts say otherwise. For now, only he and the girl know the truth about what happened. Please understand that I'm not saying the girl is lying, or trying to minimize any experience she may have had. I'm simply choosing to believe in my friend's innocence in a case where the facts are not known. From all that I've ever seen or heard, Daniel is a good kid. He's a friend I've happily trusted with my life when we're out climbing, and when I have kids I'll trust him with them too.

I thought the mother's quote concerning Daniel's arrest was odd. The "they knew what they were doing was wrong" bit. Wouldn't an assault be a "what HE was doing" not a "what THEY were doing"?

JasonsDrivingForce

Jul 13, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #224 of 266 (5942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RClose78] Will this effect the climbing community? Earth Treks climbing instructor arrested in sexual assault of 14-year-old student [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RClose78 wrote:
As an Earth Treks member, I've certainly heard people say things about him, but nothing more than rumors and speculation of the "that guy is creepy" variety.

If I heard more than one person say "That guy is creepy" when talking about the coach of 8 to 17 year old girls and boys I would definitely remove my children from his presence whether a court said he was guilty of a crime or not.

Other people might have different standards though.

spikeddem

Jul 13, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #225 of 266 (5925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
RClose78 wrote:

I thought the mother's quote concerning Daniel's arrest was odd. The "they knew what they were doing was wrong" bit. Wouldn't an assault be a "what HE was doing" not a "what THEY were doing"?

When I read it I figured they = the child and the adult.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook