RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bugs & Error Reports

Premier Sponsor:

qwert

Jul 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #1 of 8 (4678 views)
Shortcut

Sites wont load completely, due to the ads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Quote | Reply

Does that title make sense?

I can still read stuff, and post and all that, but the ads do not load.

Not that i mind seeing no ads, but something tells me that this is not how its supposed to be.

I constantly get firefoxes loading marker in the tabs, the progress bar is at about 99%, and the browser always tries to reach - if i can see that correctly, its jumping back and forth very fast - 3 sites, which appear to be ads/ ad servers. something with oasc. marianetwork and realmedia.

Also, i just ried it on opera, and it happens there too, albeit opera is a bit more verbose about whats it doing.

I just leave it idling on the general forum, and it is constantly loading something at constantly 18kB/s. That means after now about 2:30 mins, the General forum has already taken nearly 3mB!

And it doesnt look like that will stop. so if i leave a few RC.com threads/forums idling in the background like i usually do (and i suppose a few others too) that will be quite a bit of wasted bandwith.

Other than that its a bit irritating, and i guess your ad customers are not that happy bout it too.

qwert

xmesox

Jul 18, 2011, 8:07 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Sites wont load completely, due to the ads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Hi,

Thanks for the post, we're trying to gauge who is affected.

We have already contacted the host and the ad team and requested that they sort out the issue as soon as possible and hope that it gets fixed within the next few hours.

Those affected seem to be mostly from countries outside the US.

qwert

Jul 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xmesox] Sites wont load completely, due to the ads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Ok, seems "fixed" now.

I just dont see any ads anymore (apart from the "premier sponsor" directly above the forums).

If i remember correctly the non americans only get very generic ads (mostly google text ads, often with hilarious topics), whereas the americans get some bigger campaigns, including stuff like layer ads for ultimate fighting Crazy

qwert

xmesox

Jul 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Sites wont load completely, due to the ads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Currently as a temporary fix until the ad team sorts out the problem causing ads, we have disabled all the main ads on the site. Once we know that the ads creating the problem have been sorted out and are ready to be rolled out again we will implement the ads again.

smdebruin

Nov 9, 2011, 2:16 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Don't know if this is related or not, but the site won't load in Firefox for me due to some vertical ad taking up the screen. I'm in IE now and it will load, but the header is huge and takes up half the screen due to the same ad the messed things up in Firefox...

xmesox

Nov 9, 2011, 6:49 AM
Post #6 of 8 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smdebruin] Sites wont load completely, due to the ads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Unfortunately yes, it is related. I contacted those in charge of the ads and they managed to get it going properly again, but only for 3 days it seems. I have been in contact with them again over the past 12 hours asking that they sort this out, we may pull the ads completely temporarily until they resolve the problem.

xmesox

Nov 9, 2011, 8:41 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Okay guys, as mentioned - I have removed the ad code from the site until our ad partners can sort out their load times and the positioning of the ads.

You should be ad-free for a while and in turn there should be no issues with loading problems or ads blocking the screen.

If by some chance, you see something wrong, just let me know.

xmesox

Nov 9, 2011, 1:41 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

In an attempt to fix the problem we have disabled the ad network which was likely causing hanging. We have also disabled the Toyota ads.

If you see anything off, please let me know... I'm hoping there isn't a need to though.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Bugs & Error Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook