Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
I redpointed my first V2!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All


spikeddem


Jul 13, 2011, 8:54 PM
Post #76 of 90 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [rnevius] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rnevius wrote:
What was gained by bumping an 8 year old thread about a boulder problem?
In other news, I really dislike it when people say "redpoint" in reference to a boulder problem. It's really awkward.


saint_john


Jul 14, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #77 of 90 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [spikeddem] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
rnevius wrote:
What was gained by bumping an 8 year old thread about a boulder problem?
In other news, I really dislike it when people say "redpoint" in reference to a boulder problem. It's really awkward.

is it acceptable to call a bouldering comp "redpoint format"?


marc801


Jul 14, 2011, 3:01 PM
Post #78 of 90 (4262 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2806

Re: [climber49er] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climber49er wrote:
rnevius wrote:
What was gained by bumping an 8 year old thread about a boulder problem?

Satisfaction. I'm quite happy with myself.
It took you 8 years to progress to V2?


spikeddem


Jul 14, 2011, 3:17 PM
Post #79 of 90 (4261 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [saint_john] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
rnevius wrote:
What was gained by bumping an 8 year old thread about a boulder problem?
In other news, I really dislike it when people say "redpoint" in reference to a boulder problem. It's really awkward.

is it acceptable to call a bouldering comp "redpoint format"?

I don't have an issue with doing so.


JoeHamilton


Jul 17, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #80 of 90 (4209 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 16, 2011
Posts: 815

Re: [spikeddem] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay , I know understand how we can seem like a cocky brand of climbers , . IT S ALL IN THE QUESTION and STATEMENTS in the begining .... If one climbs higher then jumping is comfortable a top rope is a safe choice .. (8 - 9 feet ? I would jump ) . TO ANSWEAR the question though ,If I TOP ROPED a v2 boulder problem without a spotter ,or crash pad , I WOULD NOT call myself a v2 boulderer ...... maybe a short 5.11 climber and it would be a solo climb .....IF your main concern is SAFETY then through the solo device in the bottom of your gear bag ,Find a partner ,buy a crash mat ,and boulder the way boulders boulder ,. lot less geting picked on . I will also say I enjoy top ropeing ,sport climbing and bouldering all the same ,also my daughter TOP ROPE some problems in Rumnney NH this weekend ,( she is 12 ,and the boulder was 25 feet high ) ... Best of luck ,and please dont boulder alone espeacialy if there are bad landings


climber49er


Jul 22, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #81 of 90 (4169 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 8, 2003
Posts: 1404

Re: [JoeHamilton] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Joe, you're just mean.


JoeHamilton


Jul 22, 2011, 3:24 AM
Post #82 of 90 (4165 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 16, 2011
Posts: 815

Re: [climber49er] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

my appologies if you took that as mean . I was really trying to give you some advice and keep you safe .I am sure that with the age of that post you have improved alot since then.


Learner


Jul 22, 2011, 6:48 AM
Post #83 of 90 (4148 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2011
Posts: 187

Re: [climber49er] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climber49er wrote:
Joe, you're just mean.
Joe's not really that mean, but he can get nasty if he has to. Like if someone's going to get killed--you've just gotta crack down on some asses. Like Joe just did.


climber49er


Jul 22, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #84 of 90 (4131 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 8, 2003
Posts: 1404

Re: [JoeHamilton] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
my appologies if you took that as mean . I was really trying to give you some advice and keep you safe .I am sure that with the age of that post you have improved alot since then.

My apologies to your apologies, I really don't think you're mean, I was just having fun. I failed to Wink


aprice00


Jul 22, 2011, 2:32 PM
Post #85 of 90 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 7, 2010
Posts: 167

Re: [Learner] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
climber49er wrote:
Joe, you're just mean.
Joe's not really that mean, but he can get nasty if he has to. Like if someone's going to get killed--you've just gotta crack down on some asses. Like Joe just did.

Dont listen to Learner he's a Brown Ring. Bust out that soloist and redpoint the shit out of those problems. I'm kind of a noob myself and am still getting over my fear of hieghts. Some of those are V2s are waaaay to high!. Anyways I always feel like a weinie when I use a crash pad.. I think the way to go is TR. At least until you feel comforatble soloing some V0s. There's some real good climbers in this barrel with some helpful info.

Nice Resurect! *off to buy my first hangboard* wut wut!


JoeHamilton


Jul 22, 2011, 2:50 PM
Post #86 of 90 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 16, 2011
Posts: 815

Re: [climber49er] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I kinda figured that . If I find a problem is really high I'll top rope it (if there is an achore) OR I will work it to a point of comfortable, then go higher, and higher, till it is sent. A proper crash mat is great they are'nt a replacement for a good spotter they take out the IMPACT SHOCK of hard ground .I was recently reading John Shermans book BETTTER BOULDERING and he warns of the crash mat creating FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY in bad landing sittuations, how they can sometimes cause more harm then protection, yet, He tells how to correct it aswell . BOULDERING was not ment to be top roped or lead or protected. It started out as TRAINING, much like going on a long traverse. We have pushed some limits and set problems on 20-30 foot boulders . If its too high for ya go half way and have fun doing it .


(This post was edited by JoeHamilton on Jul 22, 2011, 2:55 PM)


aprice00


Jul 22, 2011, 3:05 PM
Post #87 of 90 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 7, 2010
Posts: 167

Re: [JoeHamilton] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
I kinda figured that . If I find a problem is really high I'll top rope it (if there is an achore) OR I will work it to a point of comfortable, then go higher, and higher, till it is sent. A proper crash mat is great they are'nt a replacement for a good spotter they take out the IMPACT SHOCK of hard ground .I was recently reading John Shermans book BETTTER BOULDERING and he warns of the crash mat creating FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY in bad landing sittuations, how they can sometimes cause more harm then protection, yet, He tells how to correct it aswell . BOULDERING was not ment to be top roped or lead or protected. It started out as TRAINING, much like going on a long traverse. We have pushed some limits and set problems on 20-30 foot boulders . If its too high for ya go half way and have fun doing it .

Shermans a baddass but I guarantee that when he is soloing he doesn't use a crash pad. I think you need to read that section of the book again. Anyways I saw his FreeAscent video on dreamcatcher and he was roped with no crash pad. Thats how you get picked up by EVolv.

Anyways this is all off topic. Congrats to 49er for your V2!!


DuckBeard


Jul 24, 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #88 of 90 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 9, 2010
Posts: 29

Re: [climber49er] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eight years later and people are still taking this seriously.


climber49er


Aug 10, 2011, 3:29 AM
Post #89 of 90 (3994 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 8, 2003
Posts: 1404

Re: [DuckBeard] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

DuckBeard wrote:
Eight years later and people are still taking this seriously.

Sometimes I love this place.


cardboarddog


Oct 1, 2011, 6:56 AM
Post #90 of 90 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 6, 2003
Posts: 60

Re: [badphish] I redpointed my first V2! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would have to disagree. He's climbing on a boulder, so technically it's a boulder problem. But he used a rope, so it could be considered a red point. However, I think he has to now use a slash grade such as V2/5.11G. If he used a drop knee he would have to add a european grade such as 6a. I think. Right?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook