Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

drivel

Jul 22, 2011, 7:44 PM
Post #101 of 108 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
drivel wrote:
camhead wrote:
drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:

Protein powder works for me. I try to have the majority of my food be from fruits/veggies and protein, at least 75-100g/day. No simple carbs, and the few carbs I do have are complex, eaten the night before a big project or something like that.

Fruits are "carbs," simple ones at that. If your carbohydrate intake is as low as you imply, and your stated protein intake is accurate, then fat must account for 60–70% of your calories. What's the point of that?

Jay

Sorry, I guess I should have said "starchy grains" instead of carbs. And most of my protein comes from whey powders, fish and/or chicken, egg whites, and nuts. Fat does not add up to anywhere near 70% of my calories.

So, if you're consuming 2500 kcal/day, then 100 g/day of protein would be 16% of your total energy intake, leaving 84% to be accounted for by fat and carbohydrate (ignoring alcohol). It's seems like either your fat intake or your carbohydrate intake is higher than you might think it is.

Jay

his carbs.

Yeah, I never quanitified how many carbs I was taking in, or anything else other than the protein. I never said that I was consuming 2500 kcals/day, either.

you did say "few carbs." and that's probably not really true. i bet you're something like 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbs.

I should be taking in more protein....I get 15-20% fat, 18-23% protein and the rest in carbs.

You're already consuming more than the recommended amount of protein. Why do you think you should be consuming still more?

Jay

??

i thought you were the one who's all like "if you're trying to lose weight and retain muscle, eat ~30% calories from protein"??

That's true if and only if you are in negative energy balance. GG didn't say that she was, or if she did, I missed it.

Jay

your answer came off kind of sneery (surprise!), like "what makes you think that eating that much protein would ever be a good idea?"

AND, (ptftw), you already sniped at camhead for how much protein he was eating.

granite_grrl

Jul 22, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #102 of 108 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
drivel wrote:
camhead wrote:
drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:

Protein powder works for me. I try to have the majority of my food be from fruits/veggies and protein, at least 75-100g/day. No simple carbs, and the few carbs I do have are complex, eaten the night before a big project or something like that.

Fruits are "carbs," simple ones at that. If your carbohydrate intake is as low as you imply, and your stated protein intake is accurate, then fat must account for 60–70% of your calories. What's the point of that?

Jay

Sorry, I guess I should have said "starchy grains" instead of carbs. And most of my protein comes from whey powders, fish and/or chicken, egg whites, and nuts. Fat does not add up to anywhere near 70% of my calories.

So, if you're consuming 2500 kcal/day, then 100 g/day of protein would be 16% of your total energy intake, leaving 84% to be accounted for by fat and carbohydrate (ignoring alcohol). It's seems like either your fat intake or your carbohydrate intake is higher than you might think it is.

Jay

his carbs.

Yeah, I never quanitified how many carbs I was taking in, or anything else other than the protein. I never said that I was consuming 2500 kcals/day, either.

you did say "few carbs." and that's probably not really true. i bet you're something like 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbs.

I should be taking in more protein....I get 15-20% fat, 18-23% protein and the rest in carbs.

You're already consuming more than the recommended amount of protein. Why do you think you should be consuming still more?

Jay

??

i thought you were the one who's all like "if you're trying to lose weight and retain muscle, eat ~30% calories from protein"??

That's true if and only if you are in negative energy balance. GG didn't say that she was, or if she did, I missed it.

Jay

your answer came off kind of sneery (surprise!), like "what makes you think that eating that much protein would ever be a good idea?"

and I was like... I'm pretty sure there ARE legit reasons for doing that. (and, you didn't snipe at my answer, which listed a far higher % than gg did.)
Actually, looking at my log I think I'm closer to 20% fat, 20% protein and 60% carbs. My protein seems to go hand in hand with my fat, mostly from summer BBQ fare.

jt512

Jul 22, 2011, 7:50 PM
Post #103 of 108 (1546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
drivel wrote:
camhead wrote:
drivel wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:

Jay

Jay

his carbs.

Jay

??

Jay

and I was like... I'm pretty sure there ARE legit reasons for doing that. (and, you didn't snipe at my answer, which listed a far higher % than gg did.)

I don't think I "sneered" or "sniped" at anybody. GG provided no context in her post for why she should increase her protein intake. You did.

Jay

funk

Jul 22, 2011, 7:54 PM
Post #104 of 108 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [callie104] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'd suggest getting a job and then they can sponsor you on a bi-weekly basis. they will pay for all of your gear, trips, food, rent, utilities, car payments, expenses, and contribute to your health insurance and 401(k). If you're smart, with your sponsor's regular payments and a good budget, you may even be able to put away some savings.

(This post was edited by funk on Jul 22, 2011, 8:19 PM)

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 22, 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #105 of 108 (1533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funk] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do I keep reading this thread?

Oh..for the same reason I started reading it to begin with: entertainment value.

mtnjohn

Jul 22, 2011, 9:59 PM
Post #106 of 108 (1476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is little to no good advice on this site. Closer to none in reality. Enjoy climbing for climbing. Enjoy friends, camp sites, views, and the memories you'll be building. If in the course of all of this, you find an opportunity to gain sponsorship; take a look at your life AT THAT TIME, see if it works for you and go from there. It doesn't work for everyone (no, I was never offered sponsorship). My point; climbing is an amazing experience unto itself. Completely rewarding with an amazing view of the Sierras ( or your local view) falling away into the distance and the pure joy of having cheap beer at a fire with the best people on earth (in our own opinions).

(This post was edited by mtnjohn on Jul 22, 2011, 10:07 PM)

tH1e-swiN1e

Aug 1, 2011, 1:50 PM
Post #107 of 108 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

callie104 wrote:
Hi,
I started climbing in January, and I've kind of become obsessed. I'm working v4's and 5's in the gym, leading 5.10's, and projecting 5.11's on top-rope. I'm incredibly impressed with myself because I couldn't do a single pull-up until a couple of months ago and never thought I would be able to climb.
I realize this is a pretty broad question, but what can I do to get better and maybe even be sponsored one day? Is it easier for women to become sponsored?
Are there any training techniques up for recommendation?
Is there generally a time frame at which someone reaches their "peak," or is climbing something that one can continually improve at?
Thanks for any and all friendly input. :)

Climbing sponsorships only mean some free shoes and shirts if youre lucky. While Ive been paid $250+ per photo of random people Ive clicked while out climbing. Feel free to PM me and we can get your portfolio started lol.

sungam

Aug 1, 2011, 1:55 PM
Post #108 of 108 (1355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
Feel free to PM me and we can get your portfolio started lol.
Hey, Leaner! I think I just found your "source"!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook