RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

petsfed

Jul 24, 2011, 5:53 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1929 views)
Shortcut

New Kendall Coviden tape SUCKS!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A word to crack climbers who tape up consistently:

I went to my local gear shop last week to stock up on tape for the month. Normally I get Kendall Curity tape, because it is vastly superior to every other tape on the market. The guy at the shop tells me that this stuff, it isn't like regular Kendall, since they got bought.

He's right. It produces way more strings than Mueller or Johnson & Johnson, doesn't stick as well, and scatters these little cloth particles as you pull it off the roll. I can't imagine why medical tape would do this, it would be a nightmare for wound care. Kendall Curity tape was a revelation in terms of athletic tape because it stretched and breathed, but was also super sticky and very durable despite being very thin. I cannot believe how crappy the tape became since the buyout. I'm going back to Mueller, where at least the cheap tape is priced accordingly.

rtwilli4

Jul 24, 2011, 7:27 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] New Kendall Coviden tape SUCKS!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Leukotape. It's not like the good old Kendall Curity but I really like it for it's durability and stickyness. The edges don't roll at all, even in the super grovelly flaring cracks that make me squirm and reach to the best jams.

Partner robdotcalm

Jul 24, 2011, 8:56 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] New Kendall Coviden tape SUCKS!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed, the new Kendall is very disappointing and the new Johnson & Johnson athletice tape (called Zonas) is even worse--it doesn't stick to itself.

r.c

petsfed

Jul 24, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] New Kendall Coviden tape SUCKS!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ken at Cross Country Connection managed to get a line on old style Kendall. Its tan, but its the real deal. If you know of any other tape manufacturers that make a quality tape (that is, better than J&J, Mueller, or -ugh- Metolius), please let climbing shops near major crack climbing areas know about it. Moab, Twentynine Palms, and Laramie are all searching for tape like a 1980s stock broker looking for cocaine.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook