Forums: Climbing Information: General:
reasons people trad climb
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: reasons people trad climb
no gym training required, just a rack 6 / 3%
placing and fondling gear 38 / 20%
less crowds 27 / 14%
potential for epics and rad stories later 31 / 16%
the bolts on sport climbs burn my eyes 10 / 5%
i can climb 5.9 trad and feel awesome, but 5.10 would require losing 30 pounds 28 / 14%
sport climbing is neither 16 / 8%
i like gear, and trad requires more gear, so it is better 38 / 20%
194 total votes
 

justroberto


Jul 30, 2011, 5:38 AM
Post #26 of 110 (8099 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [cmiller12] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cmiller12 wrote:
Ok, this is coming from someone who has barely dipped her toes into trad climbing (so far), but I think if you have to ask that question, you aren't going to understand (most) of the answers you're going to get. It's like my friends who don't climb asking me why I do. There's not an answer that will really make them understand it.

I think you're missing the chuffer's attempted humor.


Partner j_ung


Jul 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #27 of 110 (8075 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [justroberto] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like it all. Thankfully, I live in a place where trad and sport climbs live happily side by side in perfect harmony.


superchuffer


Jul 30, 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #28 of 110 (8072 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2011
Posts: 294

Re: [justroberto] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
cmiller12 wrote:
Ok, this is coming from someone who has barely dipped her toes into trad climbing (so far), but I think if you have to ask that question, you aren't going to understand (most) of the answers you're going to get. It's like my friends who don't climb asking me why I do. There's not an answer that will really make them understand it.

i have climbed up to 5.11 trad, and can consistently do 5.10.

to people that say sport requires no mental game, you need to try pushing yourself physically, remember moves, fight through a pump, and see if sport isn't a mental game.

i know trads that do much harder sport than me, but especially as i get older (40), i seem to run into more the majority of trads seems to sit on their (large) haunches and pontificate how placing gear on a 5.9 and maybe work a 5.10 makes them somehow on the same level, or better, as someone who trains to do 5.12 sport. it isn't, and they aren't. they would do well to train a bit and they would see their trad grades increase as well.


(This post was edited by superchuffer on Jul 30, 2011, 12:37 PM)


sungam


Jul 30, 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #29 of 110 (8064 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26804

Re: [gmggg] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
I really like the feeling of superiority. The ability to look down on other activities makes me smile. While trad climbing I like to discuss the silly things that sport climbers and boulderers do, the clothes they wear, and how softly graded their climbs are.

I also enjoy the ability to focus on every minuscule detail of my day except the actual climbing itself.
You, sir, have won.


blueeyedclimber


Jul 31, 2011, 1:05 AM
Post #30 of 110 (8011 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 19, 2002
Posts: 4602

Re: [climbingtrash] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
I didn't like trad climbing when I first started so I stuck to sport climbing for 10 years. Then I got bored and I wanted to be a more well rounded climber so I started going out to the Creek with a buddy. Now I enjoy both types of climbing.

Sport and Sprad? Cool

Josh


climbingtrash


Jul 31, 2011, 4:12 AM
Post #31 of 110 (7985 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 5114

Re: [blueeyedclimber] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
I didn't like trad climbing when I first started so I stuck to sport climbing for 10 years. Then I got bored and I wanted to be a more well rounded climber so I started going out to the Creek with a buddy. Now I enjoy both types of climbing.

Sport and Sprad? Cool

Josh

Korect. I lurv it all!


rainman0915


Jul 31, 2011, 6:05 PM
Post #32 of 110 (7950 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 11, 2008
Posts: 233

Re: [JoeHamilton] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
rainman0915 wrote:
Also trad climbing brings in the mental games, which is almost non existent in sport climbing. not to mention there are very few places where you can do multi pitch sport routes

Rumney N.H. has at least one, two pitch sport routes, Orange Crush 5.9,,tropicana 5.11,,via ferrata 5.11 is a three pitch, iron man 5.11,rock du jours 5.9 the thang 5.10c thats just a few . AND YES I checked the guide book and it is a current printing as well .

Yes, there are places to multipitch sport climb, there are even a few close to my house, but the number of multipitch sport climbs compared to the number of multi pitch trad climbs is miniscule


donald949


Aug 2, 2011, 6:44 PM
Post #33 of 110 (7902 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2007
Posts: 11455

Re: [superchuffer] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You ferget:
"Dag nabbit, when I started climbing there was no sport klimbing so we TR'd all those little short klimbz."
Also, I voted for all your options since they pretty much all apllied.


mnobbe


Aug 5, 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #34 of 110 (7831 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 18, 2011
Posts: 1

Re: [donald949] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Because I only eat ham sandwiches.


crjanow


Aug 5, 2011, 7:49 PM
Post #35 of 110 (7824 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 18, 2008
Posts: 69

Re: [gmggg] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
I really like the feeling of superiority. The ability to look down on other activities makes me smile. While trad climbing I like to discuss the silly things that sport climbers and boulderers do, the clothes they wear, and how softly graded their climbs are.

I also enjoy the ability to focus on every minuscule detail of my day except the actual climbing itself.
thats great Smile


Partner cracklover


Aug 5, 2011, 9:36 PM
Post #36 of 110 (7804 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10162

Re: [superchuffer] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

To answer your question: I trad climb because it's fun and challenging.

And while I love both, I have to say that so much more goes into a successful trad ascent that truly challenged me. So naturally I get more satisfaction out of it.

GO


(This post was edited by cracklover on Aug 8, 2011, 4:01 AM)


Partner cracklover


Aug 5, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #37 of 110 (7800 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10162

Re: [rainman0915] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rainman0915 wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:
rainman0915 wrote:
Also trad climbing brings in the mental games, which is almost non existent in sport climbing. not to mention there are very few places where you can do multi pitch sport routes

Rumney N.H. has at least one, two pitch sport routes, Orange Crush 5.9,,tropicana 5.11,,via ferrata 5.11 is a three pitch, iron man 5.11,rock du jours 5.9 the thang 5.10c thats just a few . AND YES I checked the guide book and it is a current printing as well .

Yes, there are places to multipitch sport climb, there are even a few close to my house, but the number of multipitch sport climbs compared to the number of multi pitch trad climbs is miniscule

If only you knew how silly Joe's examples were.

BTW, there are some superb long multipitch sport lines elsewhere in Europe, not just Spain.

GO


RDA


Aug 7, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #38 of 110 (7756 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2011
Posts: 6

Re: [j_ung] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

How about SAVING THE ROCK! That IS the reason we put down the pins and picked up the nuts...ANY one can DRILL a rock into submission, and make it "safe" for them. The dumbing down of new climbers is what you get from sport routes. Proof is in the pudding kiddies..Newer climbers are hitting the deck like a hail storm these days due to the fact they ony now how to push plug n gos int a crack. The falling on them discover that they didnt hold.


Gmburns2000


Aug 7, 2011, 3:49 PM
Post #39 of 110 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15260

Re: [superchuffer] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Because it's there


justroberto


Aug 7, 2011, 3:57 PM
Post #40 of 110 (7751 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [RDA] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

RDA wrote:
How about SAVING THE ROCK! That IS the reason we put down the pins and picked up the nuts...ANY one can DRILL a rock into submission, and make it "safe" for them. The dumbing down of new climbers is what you get from sport routes. Proof is in the pudding kiddies..Newer climbers are hitting the deck like a hail storm these days due to the fact they ony now how to push plug n gos int a crack. The falling on them discover that they didnt hold.

The bodies are stacking up like cordwood.


spikeddem


Aug 7, 2011, 4:08 PM
Post #41 of 110 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [Gmburns2000] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Because it's there

-10 stars if I could Greg, sorry, but this answer makes me shit bricks.


climbingtrash


Aug 7, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #42 of 110 (7744 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 5114

Re: [Gmburns2000] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Because it's there I'm in luv with the mountain.

fixd.

Cap'n Kirk sez it all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ


Gmburns2000


Aug 7, 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #43 of 110 (7708 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15260

Re: [spikeddem] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Because it's there

-10 stars if I could Greg, sorry, but this answer makes me shit bricks.

no imagination


jacques


Aug 7, 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #44 of 110 (7701 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 14, 2008
Posts: 318

Re: [superchuffer] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like trad because I can be honest with myself. It is like a mirror where you see your default and quality. Minimizing the risk is a chess game for me and trying harder and harder thing just for the pleasure of being proud of what we can accomplished without competition is relaxing. climbing trad with a partner just to go to the summit with all our skill and stress, laught and critic, without telling to any one what we did.


rockie


Aug 8, 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #45 of 110 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 18, 2007
Posts: 1127

Re: [jacques] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like trad, placing gear, though not just for that reason alone.


superchuffer


Aug 8, 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #46 of 110 (7611 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2011
Posts: 294

Re: [jacques] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jacques, you certainly have a way with words, but somehow your posts make more sense than the others.

... and it looks like from the posts and the poll data, gear-based reasons are winning!

so since last week was OR week, did you guys have wood the whole week? i bet a new line of cams is better than viagra.


DougMartin


Aug 9, 2011, 1:15 AM
Post #47 of 110 (7592 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 29, 2011
Posts: 138

Re: [superchuffer] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I trad climb because I don't have to have someone with a drill and bolts climb or rap down it before me!!!


(This post was edited by DougMartin on Aug 9, 2011, 1:19 AM)


westhegimp


Aug 19, 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #48 of 110 (7478 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 12, 2006
Posts: 51

Re: [superchuffer] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On many larger rocks, walls and mountains there are no line of bolts going to the top. (Thank god) If you like to climb these you may want to learn how to use gear. It's fun. It's different. If you want more of an adventure. Trad makes easy climbs more thrilling. These are some of the reasons I trad climb.

Tomorrow I will be in the Ghetto, lol, see you there.
Wes


Partner happiegrrrl


Aug 20, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #49 of 110 (7456 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4660

Re: [westhegimp] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Because the is what I learned on. If I had started climbing in a place where it was sport climbing, I am sure I would have liked that.

Still, I do really like the totality of what is involved in leading on gear. It's not "placing a piece;" it's creating a system of protection. There is some satisfaction, for me, upon coming to a placement, and hearing that little voice in my head say "Yellow Alien," or "Red Tricam" or what have you. When it slots easily and bomber-like, that's great, but when it isn't quite that bomber, but the best I can get, and now THAT comes into the equation as to how well I'm protected.... that is something that I just find exhilerating.

Can't imagine it stays exciting for long to come up to a bolt and thing..."hmmm, which draw is best for this."

That said - I do like sport climbing too. It's fun! But I am glad I am mostly a traditional climber.


hugepedro


Aug 20, 2011, 6:26 PM
Post #50 of 110 (7432 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2002
Posts: 2875

Re: [rcmoose] reasons people trad climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rcmoose wrote:
This question is like asking "Why do people play tackle football?"
Trad climbing is climbing - everything else is a subset of climbing or training for climbing - Trad climbing is neither superior to nor inferior to any other type of climbing. It is just climbing.
Tackle football is football - it is neither superior to nor inferior to flag football or touch football or frisbee football. It is just football.

No, you're wrong. Tackle football is WAY better than all those other games. It requires bigger cajones. It's much harder. The consequences are higher. Just like trad is superior to everything, except serious big peak glacier/ice/snow/alpine climbing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook