Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Chandler Park, highest cliff?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chads93gt

May 12, 2010, 1:16 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3064 views)
Shortcut

Chandler Park, highest cliff?  (North_America: United_States: Oklahoma: Northeast: Chandler_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any of you know where the highest cliff with the most overhang is in the park? I just blew into town for work till sunday and a local shop told me about the place. I plan on going there tomorrow afternoon to practice SRT and was looking for the most free hang so i can practice changeovers and fine tune my ropewalker (vertical caver)

mleogrande

May 12, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chads93gt] Chandler Park, highest cliff? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lived in Tulsa 12 years ago and no longer climb at Chandler. To answer your question, the tallest cliff is in the Lost City area. This spot is not in the main area. You have to travel further down Avery Drive past the entrance to the park. The cliffs there are much higher. Around 40 feet compared to 20-25 feet in the main area with several climbs (a few are bolted as of 12 years ago). Lost City is directly off Avery Drive. There is a pull-off where the mountain bikers park. Park here and continue down Avery Drive on foot for maybe a half mile. You'll see a very large boulder on the right side of the road. Stop here and hike to your left on the hill and Lost City is right there. You can see the cliff from the road. I've parked right by the cliff before, but I don't know if your allowed to. Call up New Heights Rock Climbing gym in Tulsa to maybe get a guide or better directions. Have fun!

chads93gt

May 12, 2010, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mleogrande] Chandler Park, highest cliff? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh there is a gym here too? shoulda brought my shoes and chalk bag. as it is i only have my vertical cave gear, and mountain bike, haha. Thanks a ton for the directions 40' cliffs are more fun than 25'.

mleogrande

May 12, 2010, 2:09 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chads93gt] Chandler Park, highest cliff? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure what your plans are or what kind of gear you have, but in the main area, you can slack line from cliff to cliff. Also, jump from cliff to cliff if your adventurous. The biggest overhang is a wall called palerider (15 feet up and about 10 feet back). That's at the very west end of the main area and a little down the hill towards avery drive. All cliffs are easily accessed at the top and there are many trees to set anchors. There a lot of easy climbing you can do in your street shoes too.

Rockmonkee10

Jul 31, 2011, 7:16 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mleogrande] Chandler Park, highest cliff? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can u get to these 40 foot cliffs through the lost city trail? I walked all over that place. Have seen anything over 25 feet.
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook