Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Aug 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #26 of 51 (3275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
Majid, in Saudi Arabia they stone women to death for appearing wanton. Yeah....we should aspire to be just like them.

yes they do if she sleeps with a married man or a man sleeps with a married woman.

you let your wife walk naked and no one will have a ball to come forward now that is the law of the land and not like here where your balls are cut in divorce court by angry judges.

edit angry female judges

Or if the husband wants to divorce her but can't get her to sign, so he accuses her of adultery.
a woman can't divorce their husband unless they fall in to three categories

A- Husband is drug addict
B- He can not make her pregnant
C- He has mental issue or in jail for more than 6 months

other than, its a man power

socalclimber

Aug 23, 2011, 3:47 AM
Post #27 of 51 (3252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the simple way to deal with your car getting broken into and stuff stolen is to only bring exactly what you need to the climb.

I drive a very simple truck with no frills or bells and whistles. The "stereo" in it is a pile and easily replaced. There is nothing in it when I leave to go climbing.

The more expensive the car you leave at the crag, the bigger the target. Thieves can certainly hit my car, but if they have a choice between a 1997 Ford Ranger or a 2005 Yukon, they are likely going to ignore my car for yours.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Aug 23, 2011, 3:49 AM)

mbrd

Aug 23, 2011, 8:52 AM
Post #28 of 51 (3227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

dude, hammurabi's law is pretty heavy, and perhaps in some fashion, just. but it has the burden of being final and brutal. perhaps that has a deterrent effect, but when one is starving and one has two hands and nothing to eat, an easy loaf of bread looks like a good gamble against a hand.

regarding our fucked up legal system, what you are criticizing is a bizarre and scarcely tested experimental philosophy we are engaged in here, that considers more than simply the outward "facts" of the case, and attempts to look inward to the motives of the criminal. similarly, the system is meant to take an in depth look into the evidence presented against the accused, and put the burden of proof on the state.

as are all systems, it is intrinsically flawed. as are all systems, it was born of a visionary sense of a broader justice, that might in the long run more effectively serve all of society, and possibly even breach the barrier between serving society and serving the individual, to (maybe someday?) do both. to date, it can have been argued to have failed on both counts. it can also be seen as the first such system to be making slow progress.

it is not that i do not understand vigilante, or retributive mentality- if someone raped my sister or killed my brother, and i was certain of the guilt of the individual, i would bar no holds.

but, as a social construct, a judicial system must constantly be reviewed, and checked for fallibility. if we are going to have a system, it's gonna get complicated.

theoretically, innocent people get jailed. far more guilty go free. that is the premise, flawed as it may seem, but remember that the experiment is not about segregating the guilty- it is about somehow eliciting a more conscientious society wherein there will ultimately be less crime.

i do not know if the experiment is realistic, particularly given colonial and imperialistic motives that are exercised to this day, but for me, the ideal stands (always, for just a little bit longer).

you see the merit in annexing the hand of some thief?

if you really think your gear being nicked justifies that, go get your shit stolen somewhere where that it is the law of the land. i am not even remotely a "love it or leave it" kind of guy, and i detest the bashing that the brothers and sisters of myriad geographical, political, social, and religious origins are having to stride through, but if you are gonna trash this system so thoughtlessly, then go somewhere else.

OR... let's talk more.

Partner j_ung

Aug 23, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #29 of 51 (3215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mbrd] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^ Are you on the right forum? Tongue

(This post was edited by j_ung on Aug 25, 2011, 11:24 AM)

iknowfear

Aug 23, 2011, 1:20 PM
Post #30 of 51 (3207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

?

markc

Aug 23, 2011, 2:04 PM
Post #31 of 51 (3191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
I think the simple way to deal with your car getting broken into and stuff stolen is to only bring exactly what you need to the climb.

I drive a very simple truck with no frills or bells and whistles. The "stereo" in it is a pile and easily replaced. There is nothing in it when I leave to go climbing.

The more expensive the car you leave at the crag, the bigger the target. Thieves can certainly hit my car, but if they have a choice between a 1997 Ford Ranger or a 2005 Yukon, they are likely going to ignore my car for yours.

Regardless of the car you drive, make sure nothing is in plain sight. A visible GPS, pack, or nice stereo will make your car a more attractive target than a car that looks empty.

I've also heard of the pigpen strategy. Make your car so messy that you can hide anything under old newspapers, cups, etc. I'm too OCD to go that route, but I take pains to limit what I bring and hide things as best I can. Easier said than done with a Jeep, but you can do it.

I feel bad for the guy up-thread who lost golf clubs, but that's not something I'd carry to the crag under normal circumstances. Likewise, I never leave my gear in the car unless I'm on a trip and there isn't a better alternative.

mbrd

Aug 23, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #32 of 51 (3158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i should probably have my typing fingers (all three of them) chopped off for that rant...

majid_sabet

Aug 23, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #33 of 51 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
^^ Are on the right forum? Tongue

I am very good at pulling people's other personality out of them on any subject

socalclimber

Aug 23, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #34 of 51 (3141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mbrd wrote:
i should probably have my typing fingers (all three of them) chopped off for that rant...

Bad monkey... bad.....

No kitten for you Shocked

moose_droppings

Aug 23, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #35 of 51 (3135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mbrd wrote:

That's a third more than most of us use.

Are you a stenographer by trade?

bearbreeder

Aug 23, 2011, 5:18 PM
Post #36 of 51 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
j_ung wrote:

in other words yr just a troll ...Wink

ClimbSoHigh

Aug 23, 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #37 of 51 (3119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I feel bad for the guy up-thread who lost golf clubs, but that's not something I'd carry to the crag under normal circumstances. Likewise, I never leave my gear in the car unless I'm on a trip and there isn't a better alternative.

I usually do not bring my clubs to the crag, but had been out golfing (or trying to) for work earlier in the week and just left them in the trunk. Those A-holes broke into my car and took nothing that was in sight and just stole my buddies smokes in the glove box and also checked the trunk and snatched up my clubs. Still should have taken my GPS down and hid it, although I am convinced that would do little change their descision to rob me since they never touched it.

In retrospect it would have been a better idea to take my wifes car which is older, but I still feel the kids were gonna steal something regardless of what kind of car it was, or how old. The fact I have been to Whitestone dozens of times before and have only met good people may have given me a false sense of security. Should have realized the dirt pulloff would be easy pickings for a crook.

I would bet with the world economy in the shitter, theft will be on the rise as people look to other means to scrape by.

P.S. Is Majid seriously advocating that Saudi law is superior to our US legal cluster fuck? Majid must be a man.

hugepedro

Aug 23, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #38 of 51 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
Majid must be a man.

That's debatable.

majid_sabet

Aug 23, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #39 of 51 (3102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
In reply to:

I usually do not bring my clubs to the crag, but had been out golfing (or trying to) for work earlier in the week and just left them in the trunk. Those A-holes broke into my car and took nothing that was in sight and just stole my buddies smokes in the glove box and also checked the trunk and snatched up my clubs. Still should have taken my GPS down and hid it, although I am convinced that would do little change their descision to rob me since they never touched it.

In retrospect it would have been a better idea to take my wifes car which is older, but I still feel the kids were gonna steal something regardless of what kind of car it was, or how old. The fact I have been to Whitestone dozens of times before and have only met good people may have given me a false sense of security. Should have realized the dirt pulloff would be easy pickings for a crook.

I would bet with the world economy in the shitter, theft will be on the rise as people look to other means to scrape by.

P.S. Is Majid seriously advocating that Saudi law is superior to our US legal cluster fuck? Majid must be a man.

why you allow an as*hole to come , steal your climbing gear then catch the guy, waste 2 years and so much of my fuc*ing tax money on court and legal BS so the crackhead can walk out with a 2 year probation ?

cut his hand once and no one will steal from climbers again

not to forget , it will take 40 years to take this law up to the BS congress spend another 4 billion to get it pass

majid_sabet

Aug 23, 2011, 6:19 PM
Post #40 of 51 (3099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
j_ung wrote:

it took you 2 1/2 years to figure this out ?

you are slow dude

rangerrob

Aug 24, 2011, 3:53 AM
Post #41 of 51 (3060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid if we had your rules I would have lost my hand when I was 15 years old. I stole a set of batteries for my walkman from Kmart and got busted by store security. That would have prevented me from becoming the climber, and the person I am today. I would have become a drain on society, not being able to support myself, not providing any good service to my community.

Your logic sounds so simple, yet we all know that in between black and white there is a ton of grey. I am glad that I live in a society that does not believe in cruel and unusual punishment....for the most part. I wish it were applied more equally along racial lines, but at least we're not stoning our women to death or cutting off some kids hand because he stole bread to feed his family.

mbrd

Aug 24, 2011, 4:51 AM
Post #42 of 51 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In retrospect it would have been a better idea to take my wifes car which is older, but I still feel the kids were gonna steal something regardless of what kind of car it was, or how old...

uh, yeah, of course you should have taken your wife's car, because it would have been her golf clubs that got filched!

yeah, i'm not sure about majid- not a man, i know, but what exactly is something of a mystery...

bearbreeder

Aug 24, 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #43 of 51 (3046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
j_ung wrote:

it took you 2 1/2 years to figure this out ?

you are slow dude

its all that IM AM MAJID, THE SAR EXPERT !!! ... that throws people off

when really yr just a troll that cant lead past 5.7 Tongue

Partner j_ung

Aug 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #44 of 51 (3008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mbrd wrote:

On the contrary, I found it well thought out, well expressed, well argued... and utterly out of place next to Majid's castrate-first-ask-questions-later approach.

mbrd

Aug 26, 2011, 5:02 AM
Post #45 of 51 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about if i get one and a half typing fingers clipped, to represent the "middle ground"?

i forgot i was on the "shake the baby in the cradle of civilization" thread.

oh shit, was that racist? i think that might have been pretty racist...

TwoPercent

Aug 26, 2011, 9:02 AM
Post #46 of 51 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2011/08/23/mount-rainier-%E2%80%98bait-car%E2%80%99-sting-nets-two-suspected-thieves/

Partner j_ung

Aug 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #47 of 51 (2933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TwoPercent] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Click-o-matic.

Partner camhead

Aug 26, 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #48 of 51 (2920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Majid if we had your rules I would have lost my hand when I was 15 years old. I stole a set of batteries for my walkman from Kmart and got busted by store security. That would have prevented me from becoming the climber, and the person I am today.

So, what you are saying is that, under lot of Mid-Eastern-style laws, it would be possible that you wouldn't be posting in here?

Allahu Akbar! Sign me up!

socalclimber

Aug 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #49 of 51 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More good news on that bust.

I must admit though, I didn't quite expect this thread to head where it did.

I have to confess that I have no sympathy for thieves. I understand that as kids, most of us, including me stole something from a store. Like most, I got caught as well. Boy did I pay for it. The wrath of my mother alone was awe inspiring.

Once you become an adult, you know better, period.

I have a very Draconian attitude towards thieves. Especially since my wife and I had our entire house cleaned out by them while we were in L.A. so she could get Chemo treatments for cancer.

Believe me, I have very good reason to despise people who steal...

hugepedro

Aug 26, 2011, 6:56 PM
Post #50 of 51 (2875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate thieves too. My house was burgled a year ago. Fortunately all they got was one of my firearms, some ammo, a busted old iPhone, and some cash. And I just got the firearm back 2 weeks ago. Cops busted a juvy that happened to have it in his possesion.

But I heard a teacher on the radio yesterday talking about kids and stealing. She said 10 years ago if a kid was caught stealing her first assumption would be that he is a troublemaker, a bad seed. But now when a kid is caught stealing her first assumption is often that they are stealing so that they can eat. Sad commentary on our country, and makes one think.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook