Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #126 of 252 (10467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
And you can make that point without relying on absurd claims that a belayer could experience a 9kN load in a TR fall.

I not only made no "absurd claim" but made no claim at all. I merely quoted one of the most respected and most published rope force experts in the world in response to hugepedro's claim that his subjective judgement was based on "the math" - even though he never offered any mathematical substantiation and still hasn't.

In reply to:
And for what it's worth, I believe the 1.67 factor is usually applied to the force on the climber's end of the rope. If you are starting from the force on the belayer's end of the rope, I think a multiplier of 2.5 would be more appropriate.

Not worth much. But I overstated that factor. The force on the belay device would be .67 times the force on the climber, and the force on the anchor would be the sum of the two, or 1.67 x the climber's impact.

Calculating from the belay force, the climber's impact would have to be 1/0.67 or 1.5 x the force at the belay, not 2.5 times.

In reply to:
Nevertheless, the basic fact that you can't seem to understand is that just because a belay device can apply a certain force to the rope, doesn't mean it will apply that force to the rope.

And what you - and several others - fail to understand is that it makes sense to build a top rope anchor to be able to take what Attaway calls the "maximum credible force", which is less than the maximum possible force but a good basis for safety engineering.

The 9 kN that he calculated is the maximum credible force for all falls below fall factor 1. A maximum credible force (not the maximum possible) on the anchor for top roping is probably 5 kN.

In trad climbing, it makes no sense (in fact, it's counterproductive) to carry 11mm static cordelletes and 30' lengths of 1" webbing, so we use smaller and lighter gear and we accept the inherent risk.

In top-roping, there's rarely a good reason not to use bomber anchor material to exceed the maximum credible force.

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 2:20 AM
Post #127 of 252 (10461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SillyG] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:
I just went ahead and bought some 11mm static rope to setup my anchors.
Now you're catching on.

In reply to:
I know some folks don't like the clove hitch (it's adjustable!) and others don't like the two loops on a bite at the master point (it makes me happy), but all I really want is to prevent falling to my death! Hopefully this will do the job.

Why not aim higher - for the simplest, most efficient and most secure anchor?

If you like the adjustability of the clove hitch, that's not a problem (though I don't see a clove hitch in your pictures), as long as it's backed up.

The two loops are not only unnecessary but add only complexity and not security, so you meet the goals more elegantly with a single figure-8 on a bight.

In reply to:
Opposite/opposed locking 'biners on two loops made from overhands on a bite. I know O and O doesn't matter for lockers, but it helps me remember to pay attention.

Again, not only unnecessary but potentially dangerous if one of the gates is on the rock. It also can do a poor job of aligning the climbing rope on both carabiner spines, where they belong. The gates should be away from the rock, which can unscrew them or break the locking sleeves.

TarHeelEMT

Aug 24, 2011, 2:42 AM
Post #128 of 252 (10450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:
Very lively discussion guys. Thanks for the input. So I just went ahead and bought some 11mm static rope to setup my anchors. My rigged setup is pictured below.

I know some folks don't like the clove hitch (it's adjustable!) and others don't like the two loops on a bite at the master point (it makes me happy), but all I really want is to prevent falling to my death! Hopefully this will do the job. :)

Thanks again for your insight. It's been a real help and might have contributed to my long life!

Opposite/opposed locking 'biners on two loops made from overhands on a bite. I know O and O doesn't matter for lockers, but it helps me remember to pay attention.

[image]http://swatyy.webs.com/setup.jpg[/image]

One leg is a figure eight. The master point is made to length and the second leg is adjusted on a clove hitch to equalize the anchor.

For those of you who don't like clove hitches, what knot would you suggest and why is it better?

[image]http://swatyy.webs.com/legs.jpg[/image]

*edit: I bought *static* rope, not dynamic. ;p

That looks fine. Be safe and have fun.

bearbreeder

Aug 24, 2011, 5:17 AM
Post #129 of 252 (10430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:
Very lively discussion guys. Thanks for the input. So I just went ahead and bought some 11mm static rope to setup my anchors. My rigged setup is pictured below.

I know some folks don't like the clove hitch (it's adjustable!) and others don't like the two loops on a bite at the master point (it makes me happy), but all I really want is to prevent falling to my death! Hopefully this will do the job. :)

Thanks again for your insight. It's been a real help and might have contributed to my long life!

One leg is a figure eight. The master point is made to length and the second leg is adjusted on a clove hitch to equalize the anchor.

For those of you who don't like clove hitches, what knot would you suggest and why is it better?

that looks totally fine despite what some "expert" may say

whether you opposed lockers or not is your choice ... but make sure they are both LOCKED if you dont ... and every locker eventually has its gate rubbed against rock when unsupervised ... as anyone with real top rope set up experience will attest to ... the climbers moves all over the place, the rope gets flipped here and there ... it wont destroy yr locker or make it dangerous, biners are tough ... and thats why you use TWO of em

from the american alpine institute ...

One of the commonly quoted rules for toproped climbing is that one should always use two opposite and opposed lockers at the master point.

The idea is that there is no way that the rope could possibly jump out of two opposite and opposed lockers. And while it may be possible -- however unlikely -- for movement in the system to cause the one of the gates to become unlocked and to open, it would be nearly impossible for the both lockers to become unlocked and to be opened.

In the guiding world, two opposite and opposed lockers are considered to be industry standard. The liklihood of a single locking carabiner becoming unlocked and opening is incredibly low. However, this is one of the rules that you learn when you start to climb and it has become so integral to outdoor groups throughout the world in toproping that it has become the industry standard across the board.

Industry standard is one of those phrases that we should pay attention to in climbing. There are very few things that can be considered industry standard in the climbing world.

http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/...-at-power-point.html

while i personally think that 2 opposed non-lockers is fine as is common in most sport climbing areas i know of ... i dont really question the AAI's emphasis on absolute safety ...

2 opposed lockers is what they use for their clients ...

who would you rather trust ... the AAI that guides clients and has liability and whose guides are all certified and trained ...

or some "rc expert" who goes off about 9 kn falls at belays on TR, and cant read a simple study ... and, as is typical with "rc experts" can never admit to be wrong

Tongue

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Aug 24, 2011, 5:33 AM)

hugepedro

Aug 24, 2011, 6:58 AM
Post #130 of 252 (10417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rescueman] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
And you can make that point without relying on absurd claims that a belayer could experience a 9kN load in a TR fall.

I not only made no "absurd claim" but made no claim at all. I merely quoted one of the most respected and most published rope force experts in the world in response to hugepedro's claim that his subjective judgement was based on "the math" - even though he never offered any mathematical substantiation and still hasn't.

Wrong on both counts.

1. Your source doesn’t say what you think it says. I’ve pointed out to you exactly how it doesn’t say that, but you’ve not bothered to double check what you thought you read there. Frankly, for a rescue rigging trainer to display such a lack of professional curiosity to not double check something like that, and/or lack of ability to comprehend what was in that report, and continue spewing inaccurate information, is disturbing.

2. I gave you all the math you should have needed to figure this out on your own. I stated multiple times that climbing equipment is designed to a standard such that the maximum force on the climber would be 12kn in a UIAA fall. Now, if you have even the slightest idea what you are talking about, that number alone should be all you need to figure out that 9kn on the belay will never occur in a TR fall. Apparently I was wrong to assume you could figure that out for yourself, so I apologize, I’ll not overestimate your knowledge again, and I’ll spell it out for you.

So here we go. 12kn on the climber in a UIAA fall (which actually wouldn’t happen since most modern ropes are design at 9kn or lower, but we’ll roll with 12kn for now). That’s 20kn at the anchor, and 8kn at the belay. That’s for a FF 1.8 – within the upper extreme of fall severity. A top rope fall is in the lower extreme, not even in the same neighborhood.

Now let’s work it from the belay end, starting with your misreading of the “Hang ‘Em High” report and your false claim that they say 9kn at the belay is the MCE for top roping. 9kn at the belay, that’s 13.5kn on the climber. Take a look at Figure 6 in the report. Under what conditions do you see 13.5kn occurring? That’s right, a 300 pound climber in a near FF 2 fall. In other words, not even in the neighborhood of a TR fall, and your own source tells you that, if you actually read it and understood the report.

Additionally, as has already been pointed out, the report’s MCE of 9kn at the belay is based on FF 1 falls, not toprope falls. They are proposing testing and strength standards for belay devices for multi-pitch and single-pitch climbing, and they’re saying that the single-pitch standard would also be inclusive of any top-roping (duh, why would any sane person think there should be a separate standard just for top roping?) It does NOT say that top roping could generate 9kn at the belay. Like I said before, you missed the meaning of the word “or” in this paragraph:

In reply to:
Based on the above comparison, the maximum credible event (MCE) for belay loads with new ropes would be 12 kN for devices designed for all falls and 9 kN for devices limited to fall factors less than 1.0 (single pitch or top rope climbing).

So you need to stop claiming that “I merely quoted one of the most respected and most published rope force experts in the world”, because you didn’t and you aren’t. Quite the contrary.

Seriously, dude, read the dang report again and see if you can figure this out for yourself.

rescueman wrote:
And what you - and several others - fail to understand is that it makes sense to build a top rope anchor to be able to take what Attaway calls the "maximum credible force", which is less than the maximum possible force but a good basis for safety engineering.

NOBODY is failing to understand that. YOU made the claim that the MCE in a TR fall should be based on 9kn at the belay, which was based on your misunderstanding of the report. There is no way the rig in the OP’s pic would compromise the anchor biners in a TR fall, so it meets the above requirement.

rescueman wrote:
The 9 kN that he calculated is the maximum credible force for all falls below fall factor 1. A maximum credible force (not the maximum possible) on the anchor for top roping is probably 5 kN.

Well it’s about time you admitted you were wrong.

Guran

Aug 24, 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #131 of 252 (10400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:

I'd climb on that. Just remember to pad any edges and pay some attention to what you anchor to and you're golden.

Oh and don't fall over the edge while setting up your anchor. That is quite unnessecary.

binrat

Aug 24, 2011, 2:20 PM
Post #132 of 252 (10373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
SillyG wrote:

that looks totally fine despite what some "expert" may say

whether you opposed lockers or not is your choice ... but make sure they are both LOCKED if you dont ... and every locker eventually has its gate rubbed against rock when unsupervised ... as anyone with real top rope set up experience will attest to ... the climbers moves all over the place, the rope gets flipped here and there ... it wont destroy yr locker or make it dangerous, biners are tough ... and thats why you use TWO of em

from the american alpine institute ...

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ejAk42p7jdY/SoRXesza9kI/AAAAAAAAEAo/h4U-UVY68Mw/s400/Op%26OP+Locker+1.JPG[/image]

One of the commonly quoted rules for toproped climbing is that one should always use two opposite and opposed lockers at the master point.

The idea is that there is no way that the rope could possibly jump out of two opposite and opposed lockers. And while it may be possible -- however unlikely -- for movement in the system to cause the one of the gates to become unlocked and to open, it would be nearly impossible for the both lockers to become unlocked and to be opened.

In the guiding world, two opposite and opposed lockers are considered to be industry standard. The liklihood of a single locking carabiner becoming unlocked and opening is incredibly low. However, this is one of the rules that you learn when you start to climb and it has become so integral to outdoor groups throughout the world in toproping that it has become the industry standard across the board.

Industry standard is one of those phrases that we should pay attention to in climbing. There are very few things that can be considered industry standard in the climbing world.

http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/...-at-power-point.html

while i personally think that 2 opposed non-lockers is fine as is common in most sport climbing areas i know of ... i dont really question the AAI's emphasis on absolute safety ...

2 opposed lockers is what they use for their clients ...

who would you rather trust ... the AAI that guides clients and has liability and whose guides are all certified and trained ...

or some "rc expert" who goes off about 9 kn falls at belays on TR, and cant read a simple study ... and, as is typical with "rc experts" can never admit to be wrong

Tongue
Have to agree with above.
To the OP, go with what you showed there.

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #133 of 252 (10354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
rescueman wrote:

And, of course, the purpose of all your useless verbiage is merely to prove me wrong, which you failed to do since you merely quoted the one statement of my own that you agree is correct. So, in fact, you have proved me right.

But that's not the point. I don't give a shit who is right. As a professional technician and instructor in the field of rope rigging and rescue, I care only about what is right and, in this discussion, about what is safe.

But among climbers (especially sport climbers), there is so much testosterone-fueled ego that it's always about who can tear down someone they perceive as a challenge or a threat to their superiority. This is what makes a place like RC.com so damn ugly.

scrapedape

Aug 24, 2011, 4:07 PM
Post #134 of 252 (10340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
In reply to:
And for what it's worth, I believe the 1.67 factor is usually applied to the force on the climber's end of the rope. If you are starting from the force on the belayer's end of the rope, I think a multiplier of 2.5 would be more appropriate.

Not worth much. But I overstated that factor. The force on the belay device would be .67 times the force on the climber, and the force on the anchor would be the sum of the two, or 1.67 x the climber's impact.

Calculating from the belay force, the climber's impact would have to be 1/0.67 or 1.5 x the force at the belay, not 2.5 times.

Ok, but... 1.5X is just the force on the climber's end of the rope. The force on the anchor will be the sum of these: 1 + 1.5 = 2.5.

Rescueman, if you are indeed into rescue work and rigging, then I will tend to believe that you have a lot of practical experience with these things that will serve you well. But don't delude yourself, or anyone else, into thinking that you have a firm grasp on the actual numbers.

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 4:21 PM
Post #135 of 252 (10333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
Seriously, dude, read the dang report again and see if you can figure this out for yourself.

In fact, it is you who has failed to either read or comprehend the data and conclusions in this report. Or, rather, who chooses to use it selectively to support your own position.

I had earlier posted this image from the Attaway report, which is specific to impact forces in top roping and gym climbing:

While it may be true that most TR falls are of low FF, low impact and low consequence, failure of imagination to include the entire range of "credible" events that might cause a more significant impact force is what leads to disaster.

For instance, I've seen top ropers top out beyond the top anchor for a variety of reasons. I've seen climbers wandering off route - or onto another route from the same anchor - and sometimes getting the rope caught on a rock feature and climbing above the snag until it can be freed. And I know that some climbers routinely use static lines for top-roping to minimize stretch while hang-dogging.

There are, in fact, many credible scenarios that can cause much higher FF falls. And, as I mentioned earlier, rope drag and friction between the belayer and the anchor effectively increases FF by reducing the effective rope length that can absorb energy.

Though you earlier disparaged my emergency management experience, the algorithm that all risk management and disaster mitigation is based upon is the Risk Matrix, or probability vs. consequence matrix.

We don't put much effort into trying to plan for or mitigate low probability events with low consequence. We put effort into planning for high probability events of high consequence, though those are the ones that most people consider and try to avoid. We put some effort into planning for high probability events with relatively low impact because they happen so often. But the most effort often has to go into planning for low probability events that have high consequence, because those are the ones most people never bother considering or preparing for ("it can't happen to me", or "it's a one in a million chance").

We put lightning rods on our barn roofs, not because we expect lighting to strike often, but because we don't want to deal with the consequence of losing the barn.

Those who set up top rope anchors thinking that nothing can go wrong or be out of the ordinary, are the ones I, as a wilderness EMT, will end up evacuating and transporting to the ER (or the morgue).

(This post was edited by rescueman on Aug 25, 2011, 2:17 AM)

bearbreeder

Aug 24, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #136 of 252 (10328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

In fact, it is you who has failed to either read or comprehend the data and conclusions in this report. Or, rather, who chooses to use it selectively to support your own position.

I had earlier posted this image from the Attaway report, which is specific to impact forces in top roping and gym climbing:

[image]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tkGLQhbUWis/TlM6-Efcy5I/AAAAAAAAAE8/ja2fX93vkbU/s512/Max%252520Impact%252520force%252520on%252520Top%252520Ropes.jpg[/image]

While it may be true that most TR falls are of low FF, low impact and low consequence, failure of imagination to include the entire range of "credible" events that might cause a more significant impact force is what leads to disaster.

For instance, I've seen top ropers top out beyond the top anchor for a variety of reasons. I've seen climbers wandering off route - or onto another route from the same anchor - and sometimes getting the rope caught on a rock feature and climbing above the snag until it can be freed. There are, in fact, many credible scenarios that can cause much higher FF falls. And, as I mentioned earlier, rope drag and friction between the belayer and the anchor effectively increases FF by reducing the effective rope length that can absorb energy.

Though you earlier disparaged my emergency management experience, the algorithm that all risk management and disaster mitigation is based upon is the Risk Matrix, or probability vs. consequence matrix.

We don't put much effort into trying to plan for or mitigate low probability events with low consequence. We put effort into planning for high probability events of high consequence, though those are the ones that most people consider and try to avoid. We put some effort into planning for high probability events with relatively low impact because they happen so often. But the most effort often has to go into planning for low probability events that have high consequence, because those are the ones most people never bother considering or preparing for ("it can't happen to me", or "it's a one in a million chance").

[image]http://eight2late.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/riskmatrix22.gif[/image]
We put lightning rods on our barn roofs, not because we expect lighting to strike often, but because we don't want to deal with the consequence of losing the barn.

Those who set up top rope anchors thinking that nothing can go wrong or be out of the ordinary, are the ones I, as a wilderness EMT, will end up evacuating and transporting to the ER (or the morgue).

OMG ... i am rescueman i can NEVER be wrong ...

opposed locking biners unsafe ... well dang the AAI uses em that way, what an unsafe guiding service

using ESTIMATED fall factor based on a climber SURVEY as fact ... well dang with a normal top rope setup, youd have to climb another FULL LENGTH of the climb to get a FF1 on TR ... but dang it doesnt matter, just claim a climb beyond the anchors and its all good

9 kn at belay on a TR ... hmmmmm, doesnt make any sense and i have NO REAL MEASURED tests to support that, just some climbers survey ... but dang that doesnt stop me from claiming it all over again

someone just HAS to be right, and if he isnt, everybody is going to die
Tongue

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 4:29 PM
Post #137 of 252 (10325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
Ok, but... 1.5X is just the force on the climber's end of the rope. The force on the anchor will be the sum of these: 1 + 1.5 = 2.5... don't delude yourself, or anyone else, into thinking that you have a firm grasp on the actual numbers.

I stand corrected. I do occasionally make calculation errors, like anyone else.

And you're quite right that the force on the belay is secondary to the primary force of the fallen climber.

Edited to add: funny that I was typing this response as bearbreeder was posting his typical pile of bear shit. It's often appropriate that the email notifications come from "noreply@rockclimbing.com", because there is simply no reply to a pile of shit.

But, for those who are interested in statistical analysis, Attaway's use of large population survey data and random combinations of mulit-variant survey results to estimate actual field experience is how science works in this world. Attaway also includes several disclaimers with conditionalities that could either increase or decrease his statistical results. But, unlike bearbreeder, he knows what he's doing and his results are published by the AMGA among others.

(This post was edited by rescueman on Aug 24, 2011, 4:52 PM)

hugepedro

Aug 24, 2011, 5:39 PM
Post #138 of 252 (10293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
rescueman wrote:

And, of course, the purpose of all your useless verbiage is merely to prove me wrong, which you failed to do since you merely quoted the one statement of my own that you agree is correct. So, in fact, you have proved me right.

But that's not the point. I don't give a shit who is right. As a professional technician and instructor in the field of rope rigging and rescue, I care only about what is right and, in this discussion, about what is safe.

But among climbers (especially sport climbers), there is so much testosterone-fueled ego that it's always about who can tear down someone they perceive as a challenge or a threat to their superiority. This is what makes a place like RC.com so damn ugly.

No, my purpose was to counter false information that an ignorant douchenozzle was posting in the beginner forum.

You claimed the rig the AMGA is teaching is dangerous, and you used 9kn at the belay as your evidence (22.5kn at the anchor). Then you went on for pages trying to defend your stupidity before finally admitting that 5kn at the anchors is a more likely MCE. Less than ¼ the force that your entire argument was based on! No, I didn’t prove you right.

And you know what, Mr. Puff-Out-My-Chest-With-My-30-Years-Rescue-Rigging-Experience? One of the most important qualities one looks for in a mountain rescue candidate is the ability, even desire and drive, for honest self-assessment post-incident, so that they can correct mistakes and improve skills. Not seeking to cover one’s errors to save face – it’s called integrity. If I were still in that game I’d kick you off my team before you could say “professional technician and instructor in the field of rope rigging and rescue.” Your arrogant and stubborn attitude is dangerous, and has no place in rescue.

And what the hell does your rant on sport climbers have to do with anything?

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #139 of 252 (10287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
No, my purpose was to counter false information that an ignorant douchenozzle was posting in the beginner forum.

Well, we seem to share a common purpose.

But every ad hominem argument you've leveled against me could just as easily (perhaps moreso) be reflected back at you.

You cherrypicked the information from Attaway's report, you either inadvertently or deliberately misrepresented its conclusions and misrepresented my own comments, you claimed that "28 years on the sharp end" (talk about "puffery") gives you a better handle on rope system physics than my multi-discipline rope work and my teaching it for 12 years (I also teach math and statistics and the vector mechanics of rigging), and (unlike me) you have refused to acknowledge any mistakes on your part and continue to insist that you are always right and more knowledgeable than an internationally-recognized expert in the field (no brag, just fact).

In reply to:
You claimed the rig the AMGA is teaching is dangerous...
Only if you need a straw man argument. I stated that the convention of opposite and opposed carabiners, a holdover from the non-locking days, can be dangerous when applied to top rope anchors extended over the edge - the subject of this thread - and I explained why.

What is always dangerous, however, is using any standard as gospel rather than evaluating them under the conditions of use.

In reply to:
One of the most important qualities one looks for in a mountain rescue candidate is the ability, even desire and drive, for honest self-assessment post-incident, so that they can correct mistakes and improve skills. Not seeking to cover one’s errors to save face – it’s called integrity.

I completely agree with you on this. But you need to look into the mirror. You would never even make the cut onto my rescue team, since you are far more interested in arguing than in learning.

scrapedape

Aug 24, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #140 of 252 (10277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:

But, for those who are interested in statistical analysis, Attaway's use of large population survey data and random combinations of mulit-variant survey results to estimate actual field experience is how science works in this world. Attaway also includes several disclaimers with conditionalities that could either increase or decrease his statistical results. But, unlike bearbreeder, he knows what he's doing and his results are published by the AMGA among others.

I didn't catch that discussion in his paper (I only skimmed it), but I can think of several reasons that his Monte Carlo approach could be flawed. Mainly, it seems like he assumed the distributions of the various factors were independent, but this may not be so. For example, the distribution of fall factors may be correlated with the distribution of climber weights, or with the condition of the rope. What might this mean? One possibility: Climbers who climb a lot may tend to be more comfortable taking high-factor falls. They may also tend to use their ropes more, in which case that high-factor falls would tend to occur disproportionately on well-worn ropes, and high impact forces would occur more often than if all variables were independent. On the other hand, frequent climbers may be fitter and lighter than climbers who climb occasionally, which would tend to reduce the severity of those falls and reduce the impact force.

With that said, the bigger problem that I have, though, is that it appears that he generated his distribution of fall factors from stated information from surveys. This is of course subject to bias by those reporting the numbers, but the real problem is that he generated his distribution of single pitch/TR fall factors simply by truncating the distribution. This is going to give an extremely conservative distribution, biasing in favor of high fall factors. If you asked people for the biggest factor fall they've ever taken on TR, I am confident that you would come up with a very different distribution that you get by simply truncating the distribution of all fall factors.

bearbreeder

Aug 24, 2011, 7:04 PM
Post #141 of 252 (10268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to see how stupid mista rescuemans argument is ...

ask yourself this ... what was the fall factor of the last 3 top rope falls you took ???

can you remember ... even if did, could you know accurately since there was no tape measure out ...

thats what the graph he keeps on publishing is based on ... a SURVEY of climbers fall factors they recall ...

but then one doesnt expect common sense of someone who explicitly claims opposed lockers are dangerous ...
Tongue

csproul

Aug 24, 2011, 7:23 PM
Post #142 of 252 (10253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

You know, it'd be easier to take you seriously if you'd stop writing like a pre-pubescent boy and chill with the emoticons. You might be right, but it really is hard to take you seriously.

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 7:27 PM
Post #143 of 252 (10252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
I didn't catch that discussion in his paper (I only skimmed it), but I can think of several reasons that his Monte Carlo approach could be flawed. Mainly, it seems like he assumed the distributions of the various factors were independent.

None of us can make a determination about Attaway's assumptions without asking him or looking more carefully at his methodology. I suspect his randomizing of the three factors adequately covers any interdependencies.

But, perhaps, we can at least agree that Stephen W. Attaway, PhD, of Sandia National Laboratory, has some pretty respectable credentials for research in this field.

His publications include:

Rope System Analysis (1996, published in Nylon Highway, No. 41, a special publication of the Vertical Section of the National Speleological Society, and in the proceedings of the NATARS meeting of November 1-3, 1996 in Las Vegas, Nevada)

The Mechanics of Friction in Rope Rescue (presented at the International Technical Rescue Symposium, 1999)

Analysis of Rope Impact Force Equations Predicting Rope Impact Forces (ITRS, 2002)

Hang 'Em High: How Far Can You Trust Your Belay Device? (Nylon Highway, No. 52, 2006)

Measurement of Dynamic Rope System Stiffness in a Sequential Failure for Lead Climbing Falls (AMGA, 2007)

Ice Climbing Anchor Strength: An In-Depth Analysis (MRA, 2009)

hugepedro

Aug 24, 2011, 7:31 PM
Post #144 of 252 (10244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
Well, we seem to share a common purpose.

Perhaps, except you’re the one that has been arguing for pages that tri-axle loading is a concern with the rig that the AMGA teaches because you think 9kn at the belay is the MCE in a top rope fall. So, one of us is propagating bullshit, the other is countering it. And guess what? The guy countering it is not the guy who finally admitted the MCE load at a TR anchor is more likely 5kn.

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
You claimed the rig the AMGA is teaching is dangerous...
Only if you need a straw man argument. I stated that the convention of opposite and opposed carabiners, a holdover from the non-locking days, can be dangerous when applied to top rope anchors extended over the edge - the subject of this thread - and I explained why.

See above. This entire argument was not about O&O biners. It was about your claim that the OP’s pic of an AMGA taught rigging technique was dangerous due to tri-axle loading. Where have you been?

rescueman wrote:
You cherrypicked the information from Attaway's report, you either inadvertently or deliberately misrepresented its conclusions and misrepresented my own comments

Wrong. The 9kn that the report suggest as a standard for single-pitch climbing is not based on the potential of TR falls, and the report makes this clear. It is based on FF 1, which will not happen in a TR situation. How many times will people have to point this out to you before you finally get it?

rescueman wrote:
you claimed that "28 years on the sharp end" (talk about "puffery") gives you a better handle on rope system physics than my multi-discipline rope work and my teaching it for 12 years (I also teach math and statistics and the vector mechanics of rigging), and (unlike me) you have refused to acknowledge any mistakes on your part and continue to insist that you are always right and more knowledgeable than an internationally-recognized expert in the field (no brag, just fact).

Wrong again. I acknowledged a mistake a few pages back when I was thinking about the UIAA 12kn max standard and mistakenly called it the harness standard. And I wasn’t claiming my experience as imparting credibility in this argument, as you repeatedly use yours (as if your experience somehow overrides fact). I was saying I’d take my experience over yours any day, because in spite of your experience you are still not understanding very basic physics of climbing systems, and you are still misinterpreting the report that you cite as your source.

The syndrome you suffer from is what I call “The Ignorance of Experience”. It’s a very real risk in rescue personnel. The sufferer ignores data that disagrees with what they’ve internalized as gospel over their years of experience. I’ve seen an Incident Commander very nearly get a rescue climber killed because of your very attitude. It’s dangerous. I’d strongly suggest you sit down tonight with a glass of scotch and contemplate how well your discarding of facts presented to you in favor of your experience is really serving you.

While that’s nice you’ve had a long career, anyone that thinks 9kn at the belay in a TR situation is even remotely possible is a CLIMBING DUMBASS. You need to stick to your area of expertise, rescue rigging, and leave the climbing systems advice to people that actually know what they are talking about.

rescueman wrote:
I completely agree with you on this. But you need to look into the mirror. You would never even make the cut onto my rescue team, since you are far more interested in arguing than in learning.

The mistake you’re making here is in thinking I have something to learn in this argument. I don’t. Nothing you’ve presented in this entire thread is new to me. The only reason I’ve argued with you is because you have spewed false information here. Seriously, dude, just concede your error and give it up, this argument is repetitive and boring. 9kn will never happen at the belay on TR, and the AMGA taught rig will not compromise the anchor biners. That’s it. Can we put it to rest now?

hugepedro

Aug 24, 2011, 7:35 PM
Post #145 of 252 (10238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
I didn't catch that discussion in his paper (I only skimmed it), but I can think of several reasons that his Monte Carlo approach could be flawed. Mainly, it seems like he assumed the distributions of the various factors were independent.

None of us can make a determination about Attaway's assumptions without asking him or looking more carefully at his methodology. I suspect his randomizing of the three factors adequately covers any interdependencies.

But, perhaps, we can at least agree that Stephen W. Attaway, PhD, of Sandia National Laboratory, has some pretty respectable credentials for research in this field.

His publications include:

Rope System Analysis (1996, published in Nylon Highway, No. 41, a special publication of the Vertical Section of the National Speleological Society, and in the proceedings of the NATARS meeting of November 1-3, 1996 in Las Vegas, Nevada)

The Mechanics of Friction in Rope Rescue (presented at the International Technical Rescue Symposium, 1999)

Analysis of Rope Impact Force Equations Predicting Rope Impact Forces (ITRS, 2002)

Hang 'Em High: How Far Can You Trust Your Belay Device? (Nylon Highway, No. 52, 2006)

Measurement of Dynamic Rope System Stiffness in a Sequential Failure for Lead Climbing Falls (AMGA, 2007)

Ice Climbing Anchor Strength: An In-Depth Analysis (MRA, 2009)

The issue here is not his qualifications, it's that you don't understand his report. Sandia Labs is one of my customers. Perhaps I'll look Dr. Attaway up next time I'm there.

Rudmin

Aug 24, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #146 of 252 (10234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wouldn't pick either of you guys for my fantasy rescue team.

scrapedape

Aug 24, 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #147 of 252 (10225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:

Stephen Attaway does appear to have respectable credentials. But I don't like arguments from authority.

In reply to:
scrapedape wrote:

We can indeed make determinations about his assumptions by reading his report more carefully.

In reply to:
We computed the CLIFF distribution as follows. Random draws from a climber population with a weight distribution shown in Figure 2 and a maximum fall distribution shown in Figure 4 were used to construct the distribution of fall impact force, shown in Figure 7. The rope modulus was also varied to match the impact force distribution shown in Figure 1.

Some potential problems:
* He defines the distribution of rope modulus so as to match the distribution of impact forces in Figure 1. But figure 1 is a histogram for impact forces of ropes available on the market. A more appropriate distribution would be that of ropes sold, or ropes in use. It is entirely plausible, even likely, that the distribution of impact forces, weighted by sales, would look different than the distribution in Figure 1.
* As described above, it does sound like he is assuming that all of the variables are independent of one another. He makes no mention of any joint distributions.
* he relies on reported maximum fall factors over a climber's lifetime, so the distribution in Fig 4 is the distribution of maximum FF over the sample of climbers, not the distribution of fall factors over a sample of falls. All the same he says, "In the next section, this variability will be used to estimate the frequency that the climbing community will exceed a given force threshold as weight, rope stiffness, and fall factors are varied." This is a bit of a mischaracterization. His output in Fig 7 is not the distribution of impact forces over all falls, but the distribution of maximum impact forces ever encountered by a certain climber in his or her lifetime. In other words, Fig 7 is going to skew strongly toward higher forces.

swoopee

Aug 24, 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #148 of 252 (10216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use 7mm cord all the time. 6mm should be fine, but like almost everyone else I am curious as to why you bought 3 50 ft lengths of the stuff. Also, most people would probably feel safer if you used at least 7-8mm cord for your anchors.

hugepedro

Aug 24, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #149 of 252 (10214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rudmin wrote:
I wouldn't pick either of you guys for my fantasy rescue team.

5 stars for that, ha!

rescueman

Aug 24, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #150 of 252 (10182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
Stephen Attaway does appear to have respectable credentials. But I don't like arguments from authority.
There's a difference between the fallacy of arguing from authority and including a person's education, background and credentials as a reason to accept as credible his methodology and conclusions.

scrapedape wrote:
I didn't catch that discussion in his paper (I only skimmed it)...

In reply to:
We can indeed make determinations about his assumptions by reading his report more carefully.

As I stated. But, as you first stated (above) before your initial criticism of his assumptions and methodology, you "only skimmed it".

I'm relatively certain that Attaway would welcome your critique. But I'm not particularly interested in arguing about assumed assumptions, especially when the author already offered sufficient caveats and disclaimers about those assumptions.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook