RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner oldsalt

Sep 5, 2011, 3:20 AM
Post #1 of 21 (3275 views)
Shortcut

Retiring
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

I never expected to be posting this message, but I have retired from climbing.

My last outdoor climb was last October at Yonah. I climbed the Army single pitch section on the fixed cable with a pair of slings and biners. Once at the top of the first route, I anchored my rope for a rap and solo TR back up on my Guardian solo device.

Two groups had come up while I was rigging, so I waited with camera out and shot many shots of the two groups for about three hours. I rapped down, pulled the rope, and told the parties that I was posting the pics on my website and gave the link.

I did a great deal of thinking about why I had not climbed. At that time, I was 60 years old and soon to turn 61. I do not believe that there is an upper limit in years for climbing. I do believe that it is time to quit an activity when the passion leaves.

I went to HP40 with a group and spent two days shooting hundreds of bouldering shots of a great group of old and new friends from my home town. I enjoyed doing the photography so much that I did not care that I was not climbing except to find good vantage points on boulders.

My last trip was to Currahee in North Georgia. I was planning to rap in on "Pepsi" and solo TR back up. This was my 86th trip from Florida to GA/AL/TN/NC/KY venues since beginning climbing in 2003.

I stood at the top of Pepsi and shot a number of pics. When I got ready to setup my rappel, I realized that I had left the rope in my car. I recognized the subconscious process at work, and hiked back down to the car. I just lost the fire. In the face of $3.50-$4.00 gas and a lower income since I retired, I just felt burned out. I had my right hip replaced in 2008, but that was 25 climbing trips ago. I think it is just time for another passion.

I drove to Helen and hiked up to Anna Ruby Falls and shot 200 waterfall shots that resulted in some excellent images. I placed two of these for sale in commercial venues...my first professional offerings since a commercial shoot for an architect's new building in 1975.

I took another trip, but just packed my camera and shot more salable images at Amicalola Falls and Tallulah Gorge. The level of personal satisfaction that I returned home with was complete .

I have made numerous local photographic trips up to an hour or two of driving to some beautiful places in NE Florida. I have photographs on exhibit in 5 different commercial locations, with my first two sales on the books.

I will be continuing with the photography, and I would enjoy documenting climbing trips or any other type of outdoor adventures. Climbing has joined surfing, skateboarding, and running in my collection of great experiences in this life.

My life has been a series of total commitments to high commitment activities. Each reached the point where it was no longer essential part of my identity. Each had fed my driving passion for adventure and finding life at its best when most at risk.

Forgetting modesty for a minute Wink... I surfed from ages 14 to 55, only giving it up when an arthritic hip prevented me from getting to my feet on a wave. That life passion took me to a year at the University of Hawaii where I occasionally attended a class. I surfed Back Door at 8', nearly died in a 10' swell at Chun's Reef, broke a board at Sandy Beach in another 10' swell, and mastered Haleiwa at 15'.

Passion? My first job when I got married in 1971 was to open a surf shop with a friend. It did not last past that summer, but I recently sold my 50th board.

My second job was teaching SCUBA to young offenders in a wonderful intervention program (JMI). I was able to dive all over Florida and in various places in the Bahamas. Our boat sank between Bimini and Ft. Lauderdale on 10/1/74, and we were picked up four hours later by a US Coast Guard helicopter.

Skateboarding was a high school thing that I resumed with some of my students when Kona Skate Park opened back in the '70s. I skated there more or less often until replacing the hip. One of my sons got into skateboards, so I took him and numerous friends to Kona on a weekly basis.

The arthritis that killed my hip was probably caused by thousands of skateboard crashes where I always caught myself on my right foot. My last Kona trip was on my 60th birthday, on old fogies night when we get a discount rate. I have not looked back, but I think of skating when my crushed elbow (from my first visit to Kona) hurts or when I reach a new walking mileage mark (1,700 miles since the surgery).

Now, it is outdoor photography. Same level of passion, just a different activity.

Why write this? Equal parts of:

1. encouraging people to continue living with passion (I know you would not be a climber without that need), and

2. saying that if things change that prevent you from climbing, or you find that you have moved on, accept it but don't take it lying down. Get out there and find another passion. You wouldn't be climbing otherwise, right?

God bless all of you. I have truly treasured the company of my climbing companions, especially long time partner Jimmy Flanagan.

[Shameless commercial plug: Anyone need an adventure documented in the Southeast?]

superchuffer

Sep 5, 2011, 3:28 AM
Post #2 of 21 (3261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Retiring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I enjoyed reading this. thanks.

potreroed

Sep 5, 2011, 3:37 AM
Post #3 of 21 (3254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I guess you don't get to do much climbing in Florida without making a huge project/trip out of it. If you lived closer to some good climbing perhaps the passion would live on.

You and I are the same age and while I'm sometimes a bit discouraged because I can no longer climb nearly as hard as I used to, I live just 2 miles from the world capital of big wall sport climbing so I intend to keep going, at whatever level I can manage, for as long as I can.

I'm also very involved in bolting new routes and I feel I still have a few more long multi-pitch routes in me. I certainly have a bottomless list of possibilities.

Godspeed and HappyTrails to you.

moose_droppings

Sep 5, 2011, 4:52 AM
Post #4 of 21 (3219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
I never expected to be posting this message, but I have retired from climbing.

My last outdoor climb was last October at Yonah. I climbed the Army single pitch section on the fixed cable with a pair of slings and biners. Once at the top of the first route, I anchored my rope for a rap and solo TR back up on my Guardian solo device.

Two groups had come up while I was rigging, so I waited with camera out and shot many shots of the two groups for about three hours. I rapped down, pulled the rope, and told the parties that I was posting the pics on my website and gave the link.

I did a great deal of thinking about why I had not climbed. At that time, I was 60 years old and soon to turn 61. I do not believe that there is an upper limit in years for climbing. I do believe that it is time to quit an activity when the passion leaves.

I went to HP40 with a group and spent two days shooting hundreds of bouldering shots of a great group of old and new friends from my home town. I enjoyed doing the photography so much that I did not care that I was not climbing except to find good vantage points on boulders.

My last trip was to Currahee in North Georgia. I was planning to rap in on "Pepsi" and solo TR back up. This was my 86th trip from Florida to GA/AL/TN/NC/KY venues since beginning climbing in 2003.

I stood at the top of Pepsi and shot a number of pics. When I got ready to setup my rappel, I realized that I had left the rope in my car. I recognized the subconscious process at work, and hiked back down to the car. I just lost the fire. In the face of $3.50-$4.00 gas and a lower income since I retired, I just felt burned out. I had my right hip replaced in 2008, but that was 25 climbing trips ago. I think it is just time for another passion.

I drove to Helen and hiked up to Anna Ruby Falls and shot 200 waterfall shots that resulted in some excellent images. I placed two of these for sale in commercial venues...my first professional offerings since a commercial shoot for an architect's new building in 1975.

I took another trip, but just packed my camera and shot more salable images at Amicalola Falls and Tallulah Gorge. The level of personal satisfaction that I returned home with was complete .

I have made numerous local photographic trips up to an hour or two of driving to some beautiful places in NE Florida. I have photographs on exhibit in 5 different commercial locations, with my first two sales on the books.

I will be continuing with the photography, and I would enjoy documenting climbing trips or any other type of outdoor adventures. Climbing has joined surfing, skateboarding, and running in my collection of great experiences in this life.

My life has been a series of total commitments to high commitment activities. Each reached the point where it was no longer essential part of my identity. Each had fed my driving passion for adventure and finding life at its best when most at risk.

Forgetting modesty for a minute Wink... I surfed from ages 14 to 55, only giving it up when an arthritic hip prevented me from getting to my feet on a wave. That life passion took me to a year at the University of Hawaii where I occasionally attended a class. I surfed Back Door at 8', nearly died in a 10' swell at Chun's Reef, broke a board at Sandy Beach in another 10' swell, and mastered Haleiwa at 15'.

Passion? My first job when I got married in 1971 was to open a surf shop with a friend. It did not last past that summer, but I recently sold my 50th board.

My second job was teaching SCUBA to young offenders in a wonderful intervention program (JMI). I was able to dive all over Florida and in various places in the Bahamas. Our boat sank between Bimini and Ft. Lauderdale on 10/1/74, and we were picked up four hours later by a US Coast Guard helicopter.

Skateboarding was a high school thing that I resumed with some of my students when Kona Skate Park opened back in the '70s. I skated there more or less often until replacing the hip. One of my sons got into skateboards, so I took him and numerous friends to Kona on a weekly basis.

The arthritis that killed my hip was probably caused by thousands of skateboard crashes where I always caught myself on my right foot. My last Kona trip was on my 60th birthday, on old fogies night when we get a discount rate. I have not looked back, but I think of skating when my crushed elbow (from my first visit to Kona) hurts or when I reach a new walking mileage mark (1,700 miles since the surgery).

Now, it is outdoor photography. Same level of passion, just a different activity.

Why write this? Equal parts of:

1. encouraging people to continue living with passion (I know you would not be a climber without that need), and

2. saying that if things change that prevent you from climbing, or you find that you have moved on, accept it but don't take it lying down. Get out there and find another passion. You wouldn't be climbing otherwise, right?

God bless all of you. I have truly treasured the company of my climbing companions, especially long time partner Jimmy Flanagan.

[Shameless commercial plug: Anyone need an adventure documented in the Southeast?]

The heart knows what the heart wants.

You'll get the itch again I'd bet.
I hope you continue to give us input and hang out here now and then.

That being said, can I have your rack.
Wink

dagibbs

Sep 5, 2011, 6:28 AM
Post #5 of 21 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad you continue to chase your passion.

sungam

Sep 5, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #6 of 21 (3162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post, Salt. Best of luck with the photography!

tyronefox315

Sep 5, 2011, 9:55 AM
Post #7 of 21 (3150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for sharing the wonderful info with us!

sungam

Sep 5, 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #8 of 21 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tyronefox315] Retiring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

tyronefox315 wrote:
So I am pretty sure you are a scumbag spammer trying to get people to click through the link on your profile.

Care to attempt a defence before XmesoX smacks you with the banz hammer?

onceahardman

Sep 5, 2011, 1:18 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also am very nearly there.

I need a knee replacement, and am avoiding it, because I still telemark ski, and will probably need to retire from that too, once the new joint is in.

When the time finally comes, I'll figure out what to do with my rack. I'll probably give it away to somebody on this site.

Thanks for sharing.

johnwesely

Sep 5, 2011, 2:05 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Retiring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
I also am very nearly there.

I need a knee replacement, and am avoiding it, because I still telemark ski, and will probably need to retire from that too, once the new joint is in.

When the time finally comes, I'll figure out what to do with my rack. I'll probably give it away to somebody on this site.

Thanks for sharing.

Let the PM floodgates open.

singletrackmike

Sep 5, 2011, 2:46 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your post. It's a good read and obviously comes from the heart. I couldn't tell from what you had written if you have any regrets about retiring, but I suspect you're ok with it. I've had the same experience with "shifting passions". One thing I'd leave with you is this -
Dr. Jonathan Hemlock thought he had retired also. Maybe there's a "Mr. Dragon" in your life, somewhere?

Partner j_ung

Sep 5, 2011, 3:05 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With whatever you're doing, OS, I wish you the best of luck always. I ain't worried 'bout you in the slightest.

Partner oldsalt

Sep 5, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Retiring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My rack? Priceless!

I had not thought that far along. I know you were putting me on, but you got me thinking about my rack.

I ran my gear list program and found that I have 49 pieces with a new value of $1,287 as of 2008. I have 23 cams and Tri-cams from BD, CAMP, and Trango. There are 26 stoppers from ABC, DMM, and BD.

This does not include biners, slings, various belay devices, etc. etc.

I think that I am going to hang on to it all for now, because I can see times when I may want to build an anchor and rap down to a photography vantage point. I can use my ascender and easy climb or yard my way back up.

Partner oldsalt

Sep 5, 2011, 4:24 PM
Post #14 of 21 (3000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Retiring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
tyronefox315 wrote:
So I am pretty sure you are a scumbag spammer trying to get people to click through the link on your profile.

Care to attempt a defence before XmesoX smacks you with the banz hammer?

Good catch, sungam! For the curious, tyrone copied my profile and slightly changed the link info. What a fraudulent (even flatulent) sh!t.

notapplicable

Sep 5, 2011, 5:36 PM
Post #15 of 21 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best of luck with the photography and all the other passions you cultivate over time.

And I know this site is called "Rockclimbing.com" but retirees are always welcome, so stick around why don't ya. Wink

bearbreeder

Sep 5, 2011, 5:51 PM
Post #16 of 21 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Old climbing bums should impart tgeir wisdom to the next geneation

Teaching em bondag.... Um ... Rope techniques ... And other assorted skills

Just because you stop climbing lots doesnt mean u cant teach anchors and easy trad

Im sure a lot of young folks would appreciate the chance to learn from a well experinced durty ole man with a rack

Gmburns2000

Sep 5, 2011, 6:10 PM
Post #17 of 21 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear from someone ahead of the game that knows it's more about life than any one activity. Good luck to you and your future passions. May you have a lot of them coming your way still.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 6, 2011, 3:22 AM
Post #18 of 21 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Retiring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Old Salt,

Best wishes for life and the new activities you have planned. I’m sure you’re making the decision that feels right and is right for you at this time. I’m a little sad that one of us in the “older climbers group” is” retiring” but sooner or later, we all will, and when I do I hope I’ll have the attitude towards the future that you show. Your post was moving and positive. I appreciated it.

Rob.calm

Toast_in_the_Machine

Sep 6, 2011, 3:33 AM
Post #19 of 21 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck on your next adventures. Remember, one need not climb to post on RC.com.

And pretty pics always welcome.

healyje

Sep 6, 2011, 8:47 AM
Post #20 of 21 (2765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never say never. I've been in and out of climbing more than a few times over the years and always because it didn't have the emotional bang-for-the-buck anymore. I got back into it last when I was 50 and just turned 59 two weeks back.

I have one last big FA project going on and when that's done (or I turn 60) I'll be done with FA's, and be hanging up that particular hat, but will probably still be climbing in a somewhat backed off manner as my r/x days will be over.

For my 60th birthday I've been contemplating doing the Diamond, but will have to see how the next year pans out shape-wise and whether that idea ends up a reality or not.

My point being that you never know - you might go completely hairball at 70 and need to jump on a rock; stranger things have happened so hang onto that rack. In the meantime enjoy whatever you decide to do and know we've all appreciated your contributions here.

Partner oldsalt

Sep 6, 2011, 3:46 PM
Post #21 of 21 (2679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Retiring [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So many people I know, and some whom I have met and climbed with...

I want you all to know that I value you, as well as your responses. See you outside, sometime.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook