Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Sep 16, 2011, 7:21 AM
Post #51 of 66 (8135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
rgold wrote:
So what happens? Folks try to make the figure-eight easier to untie with tucks that make it unstable under ring-loading. .
I am assuming you are implying people use the Yosemite Finish to make the knot easier to untie? Well if so, tucking the last strand through the bottom of the figure eight does not make it easier to untie, at least not in any fashion I have ever seen it tied in. In fact it does the exact opposite, if you take a whipper on a figure eight with the tail threaded through the bottom, it becomes harder to untie. The finishing knot gets pinched in the figure eight and its hard to pull the slack end back through the knot. Most people that thread the slack end of the rope do it so it stays out of the way when they go to clip. Thats the main reason why I use it.

It makes it easier to untie. When you tuck the end through, don't pull it tight. Leave a little bit of slack in it so you have something to grab on to to pull it back out.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Sep 16, 2011, 7:24 AM)

patto

Sep 16, 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #52 of 66 (8112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I just keep it simple and use a figure-8.

I can't say I have ever had any issues untying my figure-8. So I have never felt the need to do anything fancy.

Diphthong

Sep 16, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #53 of 66 (8088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
rgold wrote:
So what happens? Folks try to make the figure-eight easier to untie with tucks that make it unstable under ring-loading. .
I am assuming you are implying people use the Yosemite Finish to make the knot easier to untie? If so, I am not aware of anyway to tie it to make the figure eight easier to untie. It does the opposite, it makes it harder to untie because the finish gets pinched between the bottom two strands in the figure eight and its a complete B to pull through after a whipper.

Is there a single climbing related concept or technique that you have even the faintest understanding of? One would think that after 2000+ falls you would at least know something about untying a cinched knot.

(This post was edited by Diphthong on Sep 16, 2011, 3:22 PM)

carabiner96

Sep 16, 2011, 4:59 PM
Post #54 of 66 (8065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
USnavy wrote:
rgold wrote:
I am assuming you are implying people use the Yosemite Finish to make the knot easier to untie? If so, I am not aware of anyway to tie it to make the figure eight easier to untie. It does the opposite, it makes it harder to untie because the finish gets pinched between the bottom two strands in the figure eight and its a complete B to pull through after a whipper.

Is there a single climbing related concept or technique that you have even the faintest understanding of? One would think that after 2000+ falls you would at least know something about untying a cinched knot.

He's clearly landed on his head for a few of them.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 16, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #55 of 66 (8043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This has been a useful thread for me as I’ve used the figure-8 to tie into my harness for many years and have never thought about the Yosemite finish reducing its stability (Thanks USN for bringing up the subject; thanks JT for a good tip on making a loaded 8 easier to untie).

However, there is also a danger with using the barrel knot (1/2 of a double fisherman) to dress the figure-8. With both the end of the rope and the main part of the rope going in the same direction, it’s possible to inadvertently clip into the end part of the rope rather than the main strand of the rope. I know since I’ve done this. (No need for posting saying this was “user error”, since that’s obvious to anyone reading this.) When I was shown the Yosemite finish, I thought it’s a neat way to clean up the knot and eliminate the possibility of misclipping.

The only data given explicitly in this thread or even referenced comes from one paragraph in the reference [http://www.bergundsteigen.at/...krautundruabn%29.pdf] wherein it states (my translation): “On the basis of strength tests done by Mammut, the strength of the ring loaded knot [the Yosemite finish Figure 3] is about 160 kg. If you attach yourself to the anchor with a Munter hitch or a PAS, there is no decrease in the ring strength of the knot.” I’ve gone to the Mammut site and the Petzl site as well as a Google search and I’ve found a lot discussion but no explicit test data.

The only conclusion I’ve come to pending more actual data is this: Don’t use the loop of the knot for attaching yourself to anything. Use the belay loop that comes with the harness. And until more data is available, I would apply this advice to the bowline (which I stopped using years ago—the litany of people dying from a loosened bowline has been going on for years).

Even though I have no intention of using the rope loop for attaching, it would be interesting to see actual data comparing the ring strength of dressed and undressed figure-8 knots and of various bowline configurations.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

bearbreeder

Sep 16, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #56 of 66 (8034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the BMC recommends using the tie in knot for belaying in certain situations

pg 21

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmcNews/media/u_content/File/safety_skills/publications/climbing_outside_booklet.pdf

also

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1129

iknowfear

Sep 16, 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #57 of 66 (8015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
This has been a useful thread for me as I’ve used the figure-8 to tie into my harness for many years and have never thought about the Yosemite finish reducing its stability (Thanks USN for bringing up the subject; thanks JT for a good tip on making a loaded 8 easier to untie).

However, there is also a danger with using the barrel knot (1/2 of a double fisherman) to dress the figure-8. With both the end of the rope and the main part of the rope going in the same direction, it’s possible to inadvertently clip into the end part of the rope rather than the main strand of the rope. I know since I’ve done this. (No need for posting saying this was “user error”, since that’s obvious to anyone reading this.) When I was shown the Yosemite finish, I thought it’s a neat way to clean up the knot and eliminate the possibility of misclipping.

The only data given explicitly in this thread or even referenced comes from one paragraph in the reference [http://www.bergundsteigen.at/...krautundruabn%29.pdf] wherein it states (my translation): “On the basis of strength tests done by Mammut, the strength of the ring loaded knot [the Yosemite finish Figure 3] is about 160 kg. If you attach yourself to the anchor with a Munter hitch or a PAS, there is no decrease in the ring strength of the knot.” I’ve gone to the Mammut site and the Petzl site as well as a Google search and I’ve found a lot discussion but no explicit test data.

The only conclusion I’ve come to pending more actual data is this: Don’t use the loop of the knot for attaching yourself to anything. Use the belay loop that comes with the harness. And until more data is available, I would apply this advice to the bowline (which I stopped using years ago—the litany of people dying from a loosened bowline has been going on for years).

Even though I have no intention of using the rope loop for attaching, it would be interesting to see actual data comparing the ring strength of dressed and undressed figure-8 knots and of various bowline configurations.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

you got the second (and important) part of the translation wrong:
From the pdf:
If you clip the munter (for belaying) or your PAS into the rope ring, the ring-strengh of the knot is by far not
strong enough (not adequate).

"... Wird die Halbmastwurfsicherung oder die Selbstsicherung (zB Nabelschnur) in den Seilring eingehängt, reicht die Ringfestigkeit des Knotens bei Weitem nicht aus."

your conclusions, however, are spot on

cheers,

wonderwoman

Sep 16, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #58 of 66 (7992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:

Funny thing is, I stopped using the barrel knot back up because, once when top roping, it knocked my hard contact lens into the back of my eye. Ouch! That never happens with the Yosemite finish or figure 9, though.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 16, 2011, 8:50 PM
Post #59 of 66 (7984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
you got the second (and important) part of the translation wrong:
From the pdf:
If you clip the munter (for belaying) or your PAS into the rope ring, the ring-strengh of the knot is by far not
strong enough (not adequate).

"... Wird die Halbmastwurfsicherung oder die Selbstsicherung (zB Nabelschnur) in den Seilring eingehängt, reicht die Ringfestigkeit des Knotens bei Weitem nicht aus."
Thanks for the correction

Rob.calm

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 16, 2011, 9:25 PM
Post #60 of 66 (7959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:

pg 21

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmcNews/media/u_content/File/safety_skills/publications/climbing_outside_booklet.pdf

also

Interesting references but in light of the information in this thread, one must question the safety of their recommendation about belaying off the rope loop. From the looks of the pictures, the advice is probably out-of-date with the new information on problems conneted to connecting to the rope loop.

Rob.calm

USnavy

Sep 17, 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #61 of 66 (7934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:
rgold wrote:
I am assuming you are implying people use the Yosemite Finish to make the knot easier to untie? Well if so, tucking the last strand through the bottom of the figure eight does not make it easier to untie, at least not in any fashion I have ever seen it tied in. In fact it does the exact opposite, if you take a whipper on a figure eight with the tail threaded through the bottom, it becomes harder to untie. The finishing knot gets pinched in the figure eight and its hard to pull the slack end back through the knot. Most people that thread the slack end of the rope do it so it stays out of the way when they go to clip. Thats the main reason why I use it.

When you tuck the end through, don't pull it tight. Leave a little bit of slack in it so you have something to grab on to to pull it back out.

Jay
I do. I still find it a serious B to pull the end through after a whipper, the second to last turn on the figure eight pinches the end tail making it hard to pull the tail through. But I almost always tie in with the Yosemite, even on aid, I am just so use to it. So I guess maybe I lost my reference point and maybe it is easier, but I still find the figure eight a PIA to untie after a hard catch or big whipper regardless of what tieoff is used. Just a function of the knot I guess.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Sep 17, 2011, 12:25 AM)

bearbreeder

Sep 17, 2011, 1:12 AM
Post #62 of 66 (7924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually someone fromthere commented on the possibilty of the knot going poofy .... The response was to tie a stopper Shocked

robdotcalm wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

pg 21

also

Interesting references but in light of the information in this thread, one must question the safety of their recommendation about belaying off the rope loop. From the looks of the pictures, the advice is probably out-of-date with the new information on problems conneted to connecting to the rope loop.

Rob.calm

degaine

Sep 17, 2011, 8:08 AM
Post #63 of 66 (7897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
The figure-8 version of the EDK is a death knot even without tucking back the tails. It has already been shown to be too weak for joining rappel ropes and has been reported to have caused at least one fatal rappel accident.

Jay

I believe that this was posted in here many moons ago:

http://www.xmission.com/...yer/testing/EDK.html

It provides some data relative to jt512's comment above.

Partner philbox

Sep 19, 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #64 of 66 (7828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

The double bowline for leading, by the way, is not because the knot is marginally stronger. It is because of a hunch on my part that you would get better energy absorbtion from the extra turns in the double bowline. Testing has shown that tightening of a figure-8 as a measurable effect on energy absorbtion, and I am guessing (in any case there is no harm done) that the double bowline will absorb a bit more fall energy than a single bowline.

The double bowline has in fact been shown to be a knot that is capable of absorbing another 150kgs of load during destruction testing. It is a higher strength knot than a single bowline. Source, my own eyes during two days of testing on Rob Stringers test equipment at High Point Access and Rescue at Rockhampton in central Queensland Oz.

Edit to add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8RA49lY88 This is what I am calling a double bowline. I should have called it the high strength bowline. Sorry for any confusion.

Great post too rgold.

(This post was edited by philbox on Sep 19, 2011, 12:39 AM)

boymeetsrock

Sep 19, 2011, 2:36 PM
Post #65 of 66 (7768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Yosemite Finish: Turning the figure eight into a death knot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In searching the different bowline configurations I ran into the Cowboy Bowline.

The info says that this configuration is more resistant to ring-loading, since, when ring-loaded, the bowline actually becomes a Lapp Knot.

I wasn't aware that there is a difference between finishing with the tail inside vs. outside the loop formed by the bowline. But I've always used the 'cowboy' method.

Thoughts?

Rmsyll2

Sep 24, 2011, 1:27 AM
Post #66 of 66 (7665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I know only single-pitch climbing, the attempted clarification about tying in at an anchor for top-belay was puzzling. As for tying in at the base for a climb, I see only figure-8 with the tail tied around the "standing" rope. I've been shown something called Yosemite finish differently: passing the tail through the center of the knot, rather than under the lower turns. It was too difficult to untie, but it did get the tail down. I found btw that I could not make a barrel- or fisherman-type knot that finished with the tail down. I've tried tying the tail below, but that hides the knot for checking. I will try the illustrated Yosemite finish, and expect to like it, including that it follows the pattern of the 8 so does not interfere with checking. Thanks all.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook