Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
think South Africa . . .
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stann

Jan 5, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

think South Africa . . .  (Africa: South_Africa)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

think of south africa. do You have any comment on SA as a whole, be it climbing or in general?

roughster

Jan 6, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #2 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

think South Africa . . . [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the Regional Discussions forum by roughster[/small]

[ This Message was edited by: roughster on 2003-01-05 18:49 ]

rocmonkey

Jan 10, 2003, 9:14 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I are moving to the UK for about 4 years. We still have about three months left in SA. I have lived here all my life and when I think of leaving my throat closes up and I get all teary eyed!

My thoughts on South Africa as a whole? Well we have our problems, but this is home and I wouldn't echange my citizenship, my culture or my country for anything in the world!

South Africa is the most beautiful country in earth.

I love SA!

breathe stone
R C

jonoj

Jan 10, 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sawubona!!
South Africa RULES!!!!!

..... in other words, it's lekker, it's kiff, it's shweet, and I smaak it stukkend!!!

Top quality climbing, best wine in the world, most gorgeous women in the world. We have it all here, from lazy sub-tropical beach bouldering to freezing WI6 ice climbing..... and plus where else in the world can you get ummm, shall we say food for the mind, at almost any gas station (SA is way ahead on the green fuel idea)

Cheers, totsiens, sale kahle (don't know the other eight official ways to say goodbye though, so three will have to do!)

Peace, love, and harmony!
Jono J

alcapone

Jan 10, 2003, 11:58 AM
Post #5 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing must be one of the most rapidly growing sports in South Africa. With Harrysmith, Waterval Boven, Table Mountain, etc... we can understand why, just to mention a few awesome places.

We also celebrate the worlds best climate and temperature... who wouldn't want to climb all day in these perfect conditions. Not to mention the beauty we're surrounded whilst climbing.

To life and climbing in SA!

Al_Capone

jonoj

Jan 10, 2003, 1:31 PM
Post #6 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out:

saclimb.co.za

baylorclimb

Jun 9, 2003, 10:03 PM
Post #7 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

first visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm from the USA and just got back from South Africa. It was my first visit and I absolutely fell in love. I went to Cape Town, Jo-burg, and Durban. I loved everything that I saw and hope to move there some day.
As far as climbing goes, I didn't have the opportunity to climb (I was with a group) but it looked awesome and I definitely plan to go with the intention of climbing. There are so many options of places to climb and the climate is perfect. Who could ask for more?!? I love SA and can't wait to go back! :lol:

atg200

Jun 9, 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #8 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Re: first visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i thought south africa was ok. waterval boven has some nice routes, but a ton of bolted cracks. its a shame because the place could be as high quality as eldorado canyon, but the circus atmosphere ruins it. i didn't get out climbing anywhere else, but on my next trip i want to hit some of the granite domes in the drakensburg mountains and spend a week in cape town.

the wine is excellent, but maybe not the best in the world. still, very good and the location for the vineyards is superb. the weather is really wonderful - definitely some of the most pleasant i've been around. the air quality leaves a lot to be desired in gauteng and mpumulanga, but gets better outside the cities. some of the clearcutting i saw was pretty nasty - the environmental regulations seems to be what they were in the USA in the 60s or so. i never saw any beautiful women there aside from a handful at watervall boven - maybe i have to spend some time in cape town or durban?

all in all, i like south africa and really enjoyed most of the people i met there(especially jaco and the other guys who showed me around and took me climbing). i am looking forward to my next trip back in a month or so.

gregr

Jun 10, 2003, 5:41 PM
Post #9 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only been climbing since February but have lived in SA for 26 years. It helps to know a local if you are climbing here as climbing info is not readily available. Only climbing clubs and some outdoor shops can help you with 'where to climb' questions.

If you are planning a climbing trip to SA, be sure to visit the Mount Everest reserve. I believe it is awesome. http://www.mteverest.co.za/ - many routes in many grades. In fact there were some cool photos taken at Everest on RC.com a few weeks ago.

tuley0

Aug 8, 2004, 4:02 AM
Post #10 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to remember that a clear cut in N America (I guide in Canada every year) is different. Over 95% of our commercial forestry is out of plantations of exotic species (you may have noticed the rows and mono-species nature?). Thus it is not a conservation issue. In fact, planting them at all is an issue. SA is blessed with a very young constitution. As a result our laws are very progressive (unlike some 'developed' countries) and our environmental laws are exellent. We are just a bit weak in enforcment at times.:roll: .

Women? plenty o' hotties and the best is that most are under 200lbs, sipping by the best wine by far!

Come back and take another look mate............

SA and Africa rock big time. The next global outdoor 'hotspots' are already on the map here and many have been for a long time. Its the unfortunate CCN-esque media that paints a false picture.

Ciao

atg200

Aug 9, 2004, 2:06 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been back to South Africa since my last post, and had a chance to climb at Table Mountain and tour the Cape. Simply stunning - one of the best crags in the world in my opinion. I loved Cape Town, the wine country(Franschoek has some of the best restaurants I've ever been to), and the surfing at Jeffreys Bay is terrific with reasonably friendly locals for a world class surf spot. Great country.

It was very difficult to pass up a job I was offered in SA(personal reasons made it impossible for me to go at the time), but I will see if the opportunity is still available in a year and will move then if possible.

climbingnurse

Aug 9, 2004, 2:31 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

South Africa = AIDS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
think of south africa. do You have any comment on SA as a whole, be it climbing or in general?

I hate to be a buzzkill, but when I think of SA, I think of AIDS.

http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=128&fArticleId=2180482

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Aug 9, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

Don't drink the wine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It's not that SA wine isn't good, the problem is your wine producers pay their workers (poor black South Africans) with wine or sell their excess production to them dirt cheap. This is why SA has the highest rate of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in the world. So for this reason I would not touch your wine. Now Australian wine rocks.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what goes on AFAIK.

Kwaito music is great though. Oh, but it's not made by white South Africans. :P

fivesix

Apr 14, 2005, 4:23 AM
Post #14 of 14 (5590 views)
Shortcut

south africa [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when i think of south africa, i think of the great outdoors and all the beautiful land and oceans that surround you! it is amazing to think of what a country of that size can offer! endless beaches with endless activities, the mountains that never seem to end and the animals, oooh boy , the animals that dont see (!) to the animals that you dont want to see! a place that for so many years has struggled to find its own unique identity, has finaly forged it upon the world. in good ways and in not so good ways. but when you look back at south africa, its like looking back at your life, " im not upset nor do i regret the bad things, just because the good things far, far outway the bad things "

just wait ... one day in your life this message will make complete sense to you...

there's a saying ( and a song ) in south africa that goes " i dont 'like' cricket, i LOVE it !" and to all south african's, and others whose lives have been changed by it, they know truely what i mean when i say ... " i dont like south africa, i LOVE it !"

peace...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook