RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

TheNags

Sep 23, 2011, 4:02 AM
Post #1 of 9 (7199 views)
Shortcut

Best Starter Cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to trad, and I am starting to build my rack. I was wondering what the best cams are for someone on a budget (starving student). Just so you have an idea of my concerns, here they are: basic noob mistakes (getting the cam stuck, dropping it Shocked, ect)and cost. I guess that is my major concern lol, I know I am bound to make mistakes and do something dumb, however I would like to minimize the cost of such mistakes. any input would be helpful.

bearbreeder

Sep 23, 2011, 4:23 AM
Post #2 of 9 (7187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheNags] Best Starter Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just use yr mentors cams ...

once you have reached the point of confidently climbing trad ...

then youll either have more money to buy whatever cams feel best ir yr hand ...

or used cams at the consignment store/gear swaps .... i saw a ton of cams at the canmore consignment store for 20-30$ each in quite good condition when i was out there ... similar places would likely have similar deals if you look

or wait for those year end sales on 20-30% off cams online

at the end of the day ... use the cams and like em before you buy em ... or get em at a hell of a deal ...

moose_droppings

Sep 23, 2011, 4:25 AM
Post #3 of 9 (7184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheNags wrote:
I am new to trad, and I am starting to build my rack. I was wondering what the best cams are for someone on a budget (starving student). Just so you have an idea of my concerns, here they are: basic noob mistakes (getting the cam stuck, dropping it Shocked, ect)and cost. I guess that is my major concern lol, I know I am bound to make mistakes and do something dumb, however I would like to minimize the cost of such mistakes. any input would be helpful.

Before you buy any cam, go out and borrow any cam you can and start plugging them into some cracks at ground level, find out which style and brand you like best. Forget about price differences, which aren't all that much anyway. Climbing ain't cheap and neither is your life.

surfstar

Sep 23, 2011, 5:36 AM
Post #4 of 9 (7155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Best Starter Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

jeepnphreak

Sep 23, 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #5 of 9 (7048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so a few reasons I tell people not to buy gear for a while.

1. find a person with gear and ask or climb with them and get the feel of different cams. single axle vs double, three vs four lobes, single vs U stem. it really a personal preference.

2. cams are a big investment, so get the one you are going to be happy with. Dont worry now about getting one stuck or droping one. Plan on alway getting them back, but S@#! does happen. Buying "cheap" intro cams now and buying better cam when you are more experience is well... twice the money than what you really needed to spend.

3. Most cams are with in a few dollars of each other so look for gear sales/deals, spadout.com, mountaingear.com in the ditbag deal section and the for sale section, mountaingear.com EMS.com, prolitegear.com and many others have sales goign on be paient and look for the deals if you want cheap cams.

you are in CA. there is JT, yosemity, loversleap, tolumene (sp?) and much more at your disposal, so finding a climber with a rack should not be a problem. Evan just walking up to someone with a rack and asking to see what kind of cams they have is a good step. Having a rope and a case of beer is evan better for gettng a climbing partner.

I have never spent more than $35 bucks on a cam in my life, the cams I have are black diamond C4s; metolius tcus and master cams and two powercams. to date my best find was a brand new with tags #4 black diamond C4 for $9.00 bucks( some people just dont know what they have). mountaingear.com last year had powercams for $35.00 each .

so again be paitent, the deals are out there.

if that still too expensive than look at passive gear, nuts and stoppers.

superchuffer

Sep 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #6 of 9 (7010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

toprope and pretend you are placing gear - that is the cheapest way to trad climb.

essay

Sep 23, 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

find a mentor, use his gear.

dagibbs

Sep 24, 2011, 3:46 AM
Post #8 of 9 (6957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tri-cams. Much cheaper. Much lighter. Of course, they're not SLCs. But, they're still cams.

rschap

Sep 24, 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #9 of 9 (6879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Best Starter Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Trango FlexCams are still the cheapest. I've been climbing on them for 10+ years they work just fine. All cams are rated, mostly it's just creature features that raise the price. There is something to be said for the BD slings though, I had all my cams reslung with the BD C4 style slings. It was time to have them done, I don't think I'd buy a new set and have them reslung.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook