RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

range_time

Sep 23, 2011, 5:12 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1175 views)
Shortcut

22 year lay off, back and LOVING it
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

so after 22 year with both feet on the ground and a thousands of miles away from the UK where i did my trad climbing as a boy i find my self in Vegas sport climbing. My question is on quick draws and wire gates. I saw some that a solid gate on one end and and a wire gate on the other. Wire gates are new to me, why have different gates on each end of the quick draw?

mikebee

Sep 23, 2011, 6:30 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [range_time] 22 year lay off, back and LOVING it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Wire gates have the ability to hang up on the bolt hangar and become unclipped or have the hook of the nose get caught on the bolt with the gate jammed open. This significantly reduces the strength of the biner.
A solid gate doesn't have this limitation, so solid gates are often used on the top of a quick draw.

Conversely, a wire gate is seen as safer on on the bottom biner because the gate has less mass and thus is less suseptible to gate flutter (or whiplash). Basically, the wire gate would gain less momentum in a swinging fall and have less ability for the momentum to open the gate at the wrong moment, thereby weakening the biner.

Also, wire gates are lighter and (I think) easier to clip, so I prefer them for the rope end.

uni_jim

Sep 23, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [range_time] 22 year lay off, back and LOVING it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mike pretty well nailed it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook