Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping at Lincoln Lake
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

djustice

Oct 6, 2011, 3:00 PM
Post #1 of 6 (9953 views)
Shortcut

Camping at Lincoln Lake  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Ozarks: Lake_Lincoln_Crags)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, I am the director at Lincoln Lake. We at the city of Lincoln do regret that we had to eliminate camping in the park. The reason is that we had to haul out several bags of beer cans, bottles, food containers, and yes human waste, every weekend. We put up warning signs to let folks know that if the littering did not stop that we would have to stop the camping. The signs were torn down and the abuse continued. The city did adopt a NO CAMPING ordinance at the park two years ago due to this problem. We have placed signs throughout the park to warn folks not to camp. Someone built a huge fire ring under one of these signs and camped beneath it. Our city officials decided it was time to kick up the campaign to enforce the park rules. Last weekend a couple was caught by our police officers and fined. The park is patrolled by a number of people including myself, our police department, and aldermen from our city counsel. If someone is caught camping they will have to deal with our police department and all that goes with that. And they will be caught.
Now with that being said we at the city have a great respect for our rock climbers in that most of them are very respectful of the environment and leave no trace other then a little chalk dust on the rock. We have a working relationship with the climber’s collision and invite anyone to come out and climb in this great park. We do not believe the trashed out camping sites are a work of climbers but of careless individuals who don’t care about how their actions will affect others. This site says that camping here is OK. I wanted to let you know it is not allowed and to try to keep folks out of trouble. We want your visit to our park to be enjoyable and not a time of having to deal with law enforcement. Please go to lincolnarkansas.com and click on Lincoln Lake for the park rules and updates.

jolery

Oct 12, 2011, 6:50 PM
Post #2 of 6 (9844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djustice] Camping at Lincoln Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

djustice wrote:
Hello, I am the director at Lincoln Lake. We at the city of Lincoln do regret that we had to eliminate camping in the park. The reason is that we had to haul out several bags of beer cans, bottles, food containers, and yes human waste, every weekend. We put up warning signs to let folks know that if the littering did not stop that we would have to stop the camping. The signs were torn down and the abuse continued. The city did adopt a NO CAMPING ordinance at the park two years ago due to this problem. We have placed signs throughout the park to warn folks not to camp. Someone built a huge fire ring under one of these signs and camped beneath it. Our city officials decided it was time to kick up the campaign to enforce the park rules. Last weekend a couple was caught by our police officers and fined. The park is patrolled by a number of people including myself, our police department, and aldermen from our city counsel. If someone is caught camping they will have to deal with our police department and all that goes with that. And they will be caught.
Now with that being said we at the city have a great respect for our rock climbers in that most of them are very respectful of the environment and leave no trace other then a little chalk dust on the rock. We have a working relationship with the climber’s collision and invite anyone to come out and climb in this great park. We do not believe the trashed out camping sites are a work of climbers but of careless individuals who don’t care about how their actions will affect others. This site says that camping here is OK. I wanted to let you know it is not allowed and to try to keep folks out of trouble. We want your visit to our park to be enjoyable and not a time of having to deal with law enforcement. Please go to lincolnarkansas.com and click on Lincoln Lake for the park rules and updates.

Thanks for posting this up. I was sad to see the camping become prohibited at Lincoln Lake - unfortunately people would not clean up after themselves, building fires in trails, leaving human waste and debris on trails, etc. Trash from various users (mostly nonclimbers) is still an issue - climbers pack out all your waste, and pick up some extra trash that isn't yours. Doesn't take a coalition to make a positive impact and preserve our climbing areas.

rustedradio

Jun 1, 2012, 7:18 AM
Post #3 of 6 (9510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

How about we do permit camping and pay for it?

djustice

Jun 1, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #4 of 6 (9488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rustedradio] Camping at Lincoln Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We did talk about that with the city counsel but it would be very complicated. Right now someone has been coming in and camping right under the NO CAMPING sign at Lake View Overlook. This is not setting well with our law enforcement and they have begun a patrol there at night. If and when they catch these folks they will be charged with trespassing and who knows what else depending on what they are doing at the time. As long as we are having these problems there will be little discussion on allowing camping.

rustedradio

Jun 1, 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #5 of 6 (9471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well im glad its still open for climbing thanks

djustice

Aug 15, 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #6 of 6 (8560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djustice] Bluff Jumping at Lincoln Lake [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Guys, It's me again. Well the Lincoln Lake Rules have been updated. We have had some serious incidents and some serious injuries from bluff jumping into the lake. Bluff jumping at Lincoln Lake is now illegal. We have asked the fishermen at the lake to call us if they see people jumping from the bluffs. I know this has very little to do with rock climbing but I thought you should know of the rule change.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook