RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

JessMc

Oct 9, 2011, 3:28 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Maintenance while injured?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Blush I am awaiting surgery for a torn meniscus and don't want to lose my conditioning. I live in Austin and have been gym climbing all summer thanks to the 110 temps and killed my knee on a trip to Utah with the HERA Foundation-- an amazing weekend-- but 41 year-old knees. Anyway-- I have surgery in 3 weeks and then easily 6 weeks of rehab, work, kids, etc. What can I do at the gym (the regular gym) to give me some FUN conditioning that is climbing-pertinent that is above the hips? I know how to lift and all of that good stuff, but nothing compares to climbing-- even gym climbing for lean muscle strength and peace of mind. This is probably a silly question, I'm trying to get my head around this mess. All summer I have dreamed about the outdoor climbing season here and mine is blown. Thank you.

atpclimbing

Oct 9, 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #2 of 14 (4470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JessMc] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Check out heavy rope workouts. The gym I go to has multiple thicknesses/weights. The idea is to oscillate the ropes creating waves running up and down the ropes without them hitting the ground. This exercise involves extended grip endurance, shoulder and core stabilization, and with the right intensity a decent aerobic component. It's different, it has some crossover to climbing, but nothing will hit that spot like climbing.

(This post was edited by atpclimbing on Oct 9, 2011, 10:08 PM)

colatownkid

Oct 9, 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Campus and hangboarding, with obvious attention paid to not pushing hard enough to land wrong and further injure your knee. This assumes that you are a good candidate for both of those activities in the first place.

gblauer

Oct 10, 2011, 3:19 AM
Post #4 of 14 (4417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two years ago I had surgery on both feet (staggered by 3 weeks). I went to a personal trainer 4 days post surgery on the first foot and haven't stopped since! My goal was to maintain my fitness during my 6 month recovery. In fact, my trainer has really improved my overall strength considerably. I highly recommend splurging on a trainer during this time.

rockclimber1

Oct 10, 2011, 3:54 AM
Post #5 of 14 (4407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's true that a "regular gym" workout can't help improve your climbing technique, but I've developed several "regular gym" workouts that have either kept me strong when I was out with an injury or was trying to get stronger. A few exercises you can do that are a little more on the fun side include 1 arm pull downs or rows, weighted pullups, 1 arm tricep press with a full pull down, weighted finger rolls and 1 arms on the Gravitron. Another great workout type is super setting - gets you super strong without the bulk. Try to do anything that mimics a climbing motion.

JessMc

Oct 12, 2011, 3:10 AM
Post #6 of 14 (4301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpclimbing] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been reading about this and while my gym doesn't offer it-- yet-- it looks fun and challenging. I appreciate the reminder not to let my grip go! My fingers have peeled and the calluses have slipped away. Thank you!

JessMc

Oct 12, 2011, 3:14 AM
Post #7 of 14 (4300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OH! Campusing is so rough for me and you are right. i can keep hands and arms strong. I also appreciate the reminder about not falling back on the knee. This injury is from pushing through another one-- so I have the tendency to go too far.

JessMc

Oct 12, 2011, 3:17 AM
Post #8 of 14 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's fantastic! I can't imagine a double foot surgery-- a pinky toe dislocation benched me last year. I'm not in splurge position this month but I think this might be a great holiday gift from my husband-- good idea! thank you.

JessMc

Oct 12, 2011, 3:20 AM
Post #9 of 14 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockclimber1] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the one-- I can do this in the regular gym all winter when I can't get out since I can't climb yet! Sweet. thank you! I have strayed so far from weights that I forgot about Super Sets.

damienclimber

Oct 13, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Two years ago I had surgery on both feet (staggered by 3 weeks). I went to a personal trainer 4 days post surgery on the first foot and haven't stopped since! My goal was to maintain my fitness during my 6 month recovery. In fact, my trainer has really improved my overall strength considerably. I highly recommend splurging on a trainer during this time.

Gosh you are a trooper!
Lucky you had surgery in the east coast, doctors in calif are just sooooooooo stupid and challenged! since they only need 50% on the mcats

Partner robdotcalm

Oct 14, 2011, 3:05 AM
Post #11 of 14 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
only need 50% on the mcats

What does that mean?

r.c

damienclimber

Oct 15, 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #12 of 14 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
In reply to:
only need 50% on the mcats

What does that mean?

r.c

Medical School entrance exams 50 percentile!

damienclimber

Oct 15, 2011, 1:25 AM
Post #13 of 14 (4109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JessMc wrote:
Blush I am awaiting surgery for a torn meniscus and don't want to lose my conditioning. I live in Austin and have been gym climbing all summer thanks to the 110 temps and killed my knee on a trip to Utah with the HERA Foundation-- an amazing weekend-- but 41 year-old knees. Anyway-- I have surgery in 3 weeks and then easily 6 weeks of rehab, work, kids, etc. What can I do at the gym (the regular gym) to give me some FUN conditioning that is climbing-pertinent that is above the hips? I know how to lift and all of that good stuff, but nothing compares to climbing-- even gym climbing for lean muscle strength and peace of mind. This is probably a silly question, I'm trying to get my head around this mess. All summer I have dreamed about the outdoor climbing season here and mine is blown. Thank you.

Sorry, I heard patience is a virtue.
I would say rowing machine, if you can just concentrate without using your legs.
Might want a sports therapist professional. good luck

JessMc

Oct 15, 2011, 1:28 AM
Post #14 of 14 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Maintenance while injured? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! I just found out that my surgeon is one of the University of TX football knee surgeons-- NICE!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook